Bangladesh - Gunman take 20 foreign hostages

Lengthy article.
http://www.cp24.com/world/police-say-28-killed-in-bangladesh-restaurant-standoff-1.2969823

Nineteen-year-old Tarushi Jain had been on holiday from her studies at the University of California, Berkeley. She was in Dhaka visiting her father, who has run a garment business in the country for the past 15 or 20 years, according to Indian government sources, who were not authorized to speak with media and so requested anonymity.

But another Indian citizen, a doctor who spoke Bengali and could pass himself as a Bangladeshi, was released unharmed, a government source said.

A Bangladeshi woman Ishrat Akhond was also among the dead. She had been holding a dinner meeting with Italian businessmen when she was killed in the siege, according to three of her friends who did want to be named for fear of reprisal. One told The Associated Press, "She was such a loving person, such a good friend." Others posted photographs and messages of disbelief and condolences on her Facebook page.

Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, said two of its students were killed in the attack: Abinta Kabir, of Miami, Florida, a sophomore at the school's Oxford, Georgia, campus who was visiting family and friends in Bangladesh, and Faraaz Hossain, of Dhaka, a junior at the university's Goizueta Business School.
Another Italian, businessman Gianni Boschetti, was dining with his wife but had just stepped into the restaurant garden to take a phone call when the attack began. Italian state TV said Boschetti threw himself into bushes and escaped. His sister-in-law, Patrizia D'Antona, said that he "wandered all night" from hospital to hospital in hopes of finding his wife, 56-year-old Claudia Maria D'Antona. She was later identified as among the nine Italians found slain in the restaurant

Do you guys still feel "fragmented"? Its like I cant seem to get or find a orderly, like step by step what happened, when , how. It feels jumbled, even afterward.

And I do not understand , afterwards, why they cant fill in the event , or am I the only one that is the feeling /thinking like this.

I have gone on line to try and get it in a congruent manner, and cant seem to find one.

Gonna hunt now!

Here interesting angle

[video=cnn;world/2016/07/02/bangladesh-dhaka-terror-tic-toc-stevens-pkg.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/02/asia/bangladesh-dhaka-shooting/index.html[/video]

What cult?? I thought this was an ISIS terrorist attack.

I don't care if it was ISIS, Al Qaeda, the Taliban, or the Big Bird Terrorist group--They ALL do this in the name of "Allah" for their political ideology called Islam.

Not being gross for any reason other than I never have really had thoughts about this kind of thing before.

Sounds horrible, but in terms of copycat, I hope we now don't slide into "sharp object" attacks as opposed to bullets.

It just seems like a bullet might be less painful - not to mention
"seeing" the sharp object attack in terms of trauma emotionialy.

Sorry to say, but I kind of fear Hollywood makes most of us think stabbing is easy quick etc . In reality , never thought about it before, actually, it occurred to me it would probably be slow, noisy, and messy. Gross.

Its also more "hateful" IMO. I tend to be visual processer of information - and it just occurred to me I would think the attackers would be winded, sweaty, have to take a break, leaving the "next" victim such a gruesome "waiting" time.

I would think, after, like the 9th one was killed , one would pretty well know that is what is going to happen to me . When I heard they were all killed in the other manner - it gave it just another horrid angle, but strangely, my mind did not go to the actual one being killed "in the moment".

It went to others waiting, knowing, hearing, seeing. Then went to being "approached", ugh my lord - can one imagine the terror? Pain.

The world has really gone down the tubes.

Frankly, I did not really grasp, or feel like there was any reality to this religious part of the month as really gonna translate to a bunch of stuff in a short peroid of time. A few weeks ago I thought just more propanganda.

Over the last 36 hours its more like dread, like is the next 10 days gonna really translate to folks are really gonna "go" for it?

Obvoiusly I am not including Pulse in my worldview, (terrorist) but I dont know - does anyone remember two in a row that got mainstream media in such a short peroid of time?

It has seemed like there has been "recovery" time.

It makes it unsettling, and then throw in Pulse, it seems to have become a really nasty place.

Is there personal fear, no. Is there a trepediation to click on headlines - yes , and I think its weird cause the Voice singer hit hard only because it was at a place I had been to. Then the next morning. Pulse. Then the airport. Then last night.

As Pulse progressed I did think about the Voice singers family and her murder getting buried. Kinda like Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson.

Maybe it was the double local wammy, which greatly altered the next two. Battle worn? But, the airport was extradinaily violent, and this is just canibilisitic, ape like stuff. Like past human. Like Animal Planet.

It has the same intensity of rage as Omar. Like San Bern felt like hate, these two seem like rage - like animals let loose.

I dont know , maybe in other parts of the world, beheading, is far more , or maybe less, grotesque to those who have kind of been around it at some level.

For me, its only been experienced in some cheesy popcorn , chuckle horribly made, written, and acted dumb *advertiser censored** movie. The kind ya walk out of laughing, and feeling stupid for forking over your bucks! But, still a hoot.

This is real shi&t. For some reason , last night we all knew they had GUNS. A while ago , learning that they all were killed by sharp objects is worse with the fact that they had guns.

So that means they CHOSE this vicious way -- that makes them just sicker IMO.

Maybe out in the Amazon ? But in a civilized place - its really quite disturbing,,,,,,,, What are they gonna start doing next setting people afire?

Have never really felt like this before, but for the surviving one - where is Cheney when ya need him?

Go on over Cheney, and do some of your sick stuff!

Lord................................ Pathetic...............

Is this really Ramadon Stuff?

moo

Here is the first one I have found that is like in some kind of order, if there is any "order" to all this.........................

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36692613

I don't care if it was ISIS, Al Qaeda, the Taliban, or the Big Bird Terrorist group--They ALL do this in the name of "Allah" for their political ideology called Islam.

ramadan bloody ramadan

The public execution of eight Bangladeshi migrant workers in Saudi Arabia has been condemned by a leading human rights group in Bangladesh, Ain O Salish Kendra

The so-called Islamic State group has said it was behind the beheading of a senior Hindu priest and wounding two worshippers in northern Bangladesh.

Fourth secular Bangladesh blogger hacked to death

ISIS claimed all these, which turned out not to be true.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=banglasesh+beheddings+

ISIS claiming this one two : All the attackers in the deadly assault on a cafe in Dhaka were Bangladeshi citizens, and five of them were militants that police had tried to arrest previously,

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/02/asia/bangladesh-dhaka-shooting/index.html

They used tanks to drive through the walls NBC

ISIS released pics of 5 of the supposed terrorist

A lot of activtists have been decapitated since Sept.

Tid Bits

IS' 'Amaq Reports Attackers in Dhaka Identified and Released Muslims in Targeted Restaurant CNN

Actual attack took 13 minutes

lots info here

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/world/asia/bangladesh-hostage-standoff.html

cegrab-20160702-121018-164-1-589x442.jpg

One kitchen staffer said the attackers were armed with guns and bombs, entering the building at around 9.20pm local time as foreigners and locals dined out during the Ramadan holy month.
Initially firing blanks, they ordered staff to switch off the lights before draping black cloths over security cameras, according to a survivor who spoke with local news channel ATN.

escape by running to the rooftop or out of the back door.
their fate depended on whether they could prove themselves to be Muslims, according to the father of a Bangladeshi who was rescued with his family.
Rezaul Karim said: "The gunmen asked everyone inside to recite from the Koran.
"Those who recited were spared. The gunmen even gave them meals last night."
The others, he said, "were tortured".

26 people injured in the siege, 10 are in critical condition in hospital and six are on life support. Most are police officers but one is a civilian, according to hospital staff.
.. seven other Japanese citizens had been eating together at the restaurant, but officials had been unable to contact them.

The Amaq news agency, which is affiliated to IS, posted pictures said to show hostages' bodies, but the images' authenticity could not be confirmed.
There has been a string of recent attacks on religious minorities and secular activists by suspected Islamist militants in Bangladesh,

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/asiapacific/2016/07/03/italians--japanese-killed-in-bangladesh-siege.html

http://news.sky.com/story/1720416/dhaka-restaurant-siege-20-people-killed

here is the website that claims everything

http://english.aawsat.com/2016/03/article55348927/amaq-247-news-agency-run-isis

Not being gross for any reason other than I never have really had thoughts about this kind of thing before.

Sounds horrible, but in terms of copycat, I hope we now don't slide into "sharp object" attacks as opposed to bullets.

It just seems like a bullet might be less painful - not to mention
"seeing" the sharp object attack in terms of trauma emotionialy.

Sorry to say, but I kind of fear Hollywood makes most of us think stabbing is easy quick etc . In reality , never thought about it before, actually, it occurred to me it would probably be slow, noisy, and messy. Gross.

Its also more "hateful" IMO. I tend to be visual processer of information - and it just occurred to me I would think the attackers would be winded, sweaty, have to take a break, leaving the "next" victim such a gruesome "waiting" time.

I would think, after, like the 9th one was killed , one would pretty well know that is what is going to happen to me . When I heard they were all killed in the other manner - it gave it just another horrid angle, but strangely, my mind did not go to the actual one being killed "in the moment".

It went to others waiting, knowing, hearing, seeing. Then went to being "approached", ugh my lord - can one imagine the terror? Pain.

The world has really gone down the tubes.

Frankly, I did not really grasp, or feel like there was any reality to this religious part of the month as really gonna translate to a bunch of stuff in a short peroid of time. A few weeks ago I thought just more propanganda.

Over the last 36 hours its more like dread, like is the next 10 days gonna really translate to folks are really gonna "go" for it?

Obvoiusly I am not including Pulse in my worldview, (terrorist) but I dont know - does anyone remember two in a row that got mainstream media in such a short peroid of time?

It has seemed like there has been "recovery" time.

It makes it unsettling, and then throw in Pulse, it seems to have become a really nasty place.

Is there personal fear, no. Is there a trepediation to click on headlines - yes , and I think its weird cause the Voice singer hit hard only because it was at a place I had been to. Then the next morning. Pulse. Then the airport. Then last night.

As Pulse progressed I did think about the Voice singers family and her murder getting buried. Kinda like Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson.

Maybe it was the double local wammy, which greatly altered the next two. Battle worn? But, the airport was extradinaily violent, and this is just canibilisitic, ape like stuff. Like past human. Like Animal Planet.

It has the same intensity of rage as Omar. Like San Bern felt like hate, these two seem like rage - like animals let loose.

I dont know , maybe in other parts of the world, beheading, is far more , or maybe less, grotesque to those who have kind of been around it at some level.

For me, its only been experienced in some cheesy popcorn , chuckle horribly made, written, and acted dumb *advertiser censored** movie. The kind ya walk out of laughing, and feeling stupid for forking over your bucks! But, still a hoot.

This is real shi&t. For some reason , last night we all knew they had GUNS. A while ago , learning that they all were killed by sharp objects is worse with the fact that they had guns.

So that means they CHOSE this vicious way -- that makes them just sicker IMO.

Maybe out in the Amazon ? But in a civilized place - its really quite disturbing,,,,,,,, What are they gonna start doing next setting people afire?

Have never really felt like this before, but for the surviving one - where is Cheney when ya need him?

Go on over Cheney, and do some of your sick stuff!

Lord................................ Pathetic...............

Is this really Ramadon Stuff?

moo

Here is the first one I have found that is like in some kind of order, if there is any "order" to all this.........................

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36692613

Good post CARIIS

The world to me is going to hell in a hand basket. These people are young and trained to the extreme and sometimes in our OWN US soils.

Who funded these terrorists? They are everywhere and it appears it's not going to end.

Is it Ramadon related, will we ever know?

Just really sad we wonder what's next?

O/T

This is getting out of control guys

Sadly I just had to start thread

Baghdad Car bombs target shopping districts, 126 dead

The so-called Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attack but the government has denied this.

Bangladesh's home minister said on Sunday that the attackers belonged to a local militant group which has been banned for more than a decade.

"They are members of the Jamaeytul Mujahdeen Bangladesh," Asaduzzaman Khan said. "They have no connections with the Islamic State."

IS had earlier released photographs of the alleged attackers posing in front of a black IS flag.

The men were are said to belong to well-to-do local families and studied in private schools and universities, not in Islamic seminaries or madrassas, where many Islamist militant groups are thought to draw recruits.

The JMB group in Bangladesh has been blamed for a wave of small-scale terror attacks over the past year, including the killings of secular bloggers, atheists and an LGBT rights campaigner.

Its top two leaders were arrested and executed in 2008, after near-simultaneous bomb attacks in all the country's 64 districts.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has consistently denied that IS has made inroads in to Bangladesh.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36698721

"Inroads" is one thing.

Influence and inspiration is yet another.

o/t

Man severely injured in explosion in New York's Central Park

• Three men were walking in park when one suffered leg injury from explosion
This is what cops say:

Thus far, seems like it was a bunch of dummies , playing with fireworks ....not terrorists .

Following up I find this on CBS :

Golden was walking in the park with two friends when he stepped on a rock covering the explosive. .(what are IUDs)...the Central Park explosive may have been designed to go off at an earlier time, even a day before, but for whatever reason did not.....

So, it was planted by someone other than the victim?? Activated when stepped on in the giant park?

To me it seems as if planting bomb , in public place, and covering it with a rock, does not quite sound like a fourth of july experiment?

Any of you ever wanted to see what happens when you bury some of your fireworks in a public place?

Anyone looking for fireworks that remove limbs ?

Anyone buy fireworks not to watch but plant that expode when stepped on?

I smell something , and its not sulfer from a July 4 "sparkler" .

Tonight is about big big bucks aint it?? Do you guys think the sales at tongiht July 4 celebration might be different if the headline was:

"Buried explosive denotated in Central Park"

If any of you can come up with something about rock covered July 4 celebration items- I am all ears???

Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted shortly after the incident, warning people to stay away from handling fireworks. My statement would be more along the lines "We want to remind citizens that planting , pressure senstitive things that go boom, and seperate body parts from citizens, no matter your religious affilation , is illigal and punished by prison time".

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/explosion-central-park-injury-leg-new-york-city/

Please stand by, I am going in the bathroom ,to pull my hair out - hold on!

Ahhhhh much better-give me a break?

BANGLADESH GUNMEN MADE NO DEMANDS, ISIS NOT INVOLVED - MINISTER

[FONT=&amp]Three of the six gunmen killed were under 22 years of age and had been missing for six months....[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Asaduzzaman Khan told Reuters

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]home-grown militants were responsible for a spate of killings in the country over the past 18 months, including the latest one.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh, which claims to represent Islamic State in Bangladesh but has no proven links to it.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

http://ewn.co.za/2016/07/04/Bangladesh-gunmen-made-no-demands-IS-not-involved-minister

[/FONT]
some are believed to have attended top schools and colleges at home and abroad. not the typical disenfrached

[FONT=&quot]He said the militants were mostly educated and from well-off families,

[FONT=&quot]all the gunmen were Bangladeshis[/FONT] [/FONT]

BANGLADESH GUNMEN MADE NO DEMANDS, ISIS NOT INVOLVED - MINISTER

[FONT=&amp]Three of the six gunmen killed were under 22 years of age and had been missing for six months....[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Asaduzzaman Khan told Reuters

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]home-grown militants were responsible for a spate of killings in the country over the past 18 months, including the latest one.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh, which claims to represent Islamic State in Bangladesh but has no proven links to it.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

http://ewn.co.za/2016/07/04/Bangladesh-gunmen-made-no-demands-IS-not-involved-minister

[/FONT]
some are believed to have attended top schools and colleges at home and abroad. not the typical disenfrached

[FONT=&quot]He said the militants were mostly educated and from well-off families,

[FONT=&quot]all the gunmen were Bangladeshis[/FONT] [/FONT]

From the article:

the minister pointed to a wall behind him and said: “If I fix a poster of IS here and stand with a machine gun, will it establish that IS is here?”

No, but does it matter? In peoples' minds they will be.

More about these particular "homegrown" radicalized islamic terrorist attackers.

The men, all in their late teens or early 20s, were products of Bangladesh’s elite, several having attended one of the country’s top English-medium private schools as well as universities both in the country and abroad.

Among them was the son of a former city leader in the prime minister’s own Awami League, the governing party.

“That’s what we’re absolutely riveted by,” said Kazi Anis Ahmed, a writer and publisher of the daily newspaper The Dhaka Tribune. “That these kids from very affluent families with no material want can still be turned to this kind of ideology, motivated not just to the point of killing but also want to be killed.”

That children of the country’s upper classes appear to have joined militant Islamists in an act of such brutality highlighted the radicalization among the largely moderate Muslim population here, a process that has accelerated in recent years.

The attackers intended to kill foreigners, whom they shot and then hacked with sharp weapons, blaming them for hampering the progress of Islam, one of the hostages later said.

For more than three years now, Islamist militants have murdered atheist bloggers, members of religious minorities and others. The Islamic State and a regional branch of Al Qaeda have claimed responsibility for the killings, although the Bangladeshi government continues to insist that local groups were responsible.

The young man was a student at Scholastica School, one of the top private schools in Dhaka. He left home for a tutorial class, which he did not attend, and never returned.

Mr. Kabir said he had made the rounds of police and security officials in the capital since then, seeking help. He gave them a picture of his son, describing him as quiet and pious, someone who prayed five times a day and frequented the local mosque.

Mr. Kabir said the family was unaware that Meer Saameh Mubasher was being radicalized, except, in retrospect, for one clue. The young man had liked to play the guitar, his father said, but about three months before his disappearance, he stopped.

When Mr. Kabir asked why, his son replied, “Music is not good,” reflecting an Islamist belief that music and dancing are bad influences.

Red and BBM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...lations-about-attackers/ar-AAi3LSa?li=BBnb7Kz

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...-detained-over-bangladesh-hostage-crisis.html
Canadian among 5 detained over Bangladesh hostage crisis

An official involved in the investigation gave no other details about those held, but said authorities were looking into their backgrounds and questioning their family and friends as well.

The Canadian returned home only the day before the attack and went to the restaurant with his two female friends, the English-language Daily Star newspaper reported.

The girls were students of a private university where some of the attackers also studied, said the official.

“This prompted us to keep him on the suspicion list,” he said

Journalist Kallol Bhattacherjee tweeted that a waiter described the attackers as: “Young, well dressed, Comfortable.”

Levity break

[h=1]Teachers' strike: Schools to close because of NUT walkout[/h]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz