Belgium - Explosion at Brussels central train station, 20 June 2017

HlN.be
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/39994/Binn...tbuitenlandopdevoetophlnbe&utm_source=dlvr.it

This morning it became clear that the court knows the identity of the attacker. His name is Oussama Zariouh from Molenbeek, 36 years of age. He was known by police for drug related crimes.

The man did not wear an bomb belt. Immediately after the second explosion, the man returned to the station hall and ran towards a soldier while shouting 'Allahu Akbar'. The soldier shot the man. At midnight the court confirmed that the man had passed away.

BBM

Thanks ZaZara for all your news updates they are much appreciated.

DeRedactie,be
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.3006648

At a press conference the federal prosecutor gave an explanation about the failed attack yesterday . "Down the stairs he starts shouting and caused a partial blast," Eric van der Sypt of the federal prosecutor says. "No one was injured. His suitcase caught fire and he left it behind." The man walked downstairs to the platform while upstairs the suitcase exploded a second time - a heavier blast this time.

Van der Sypt pointed out that there were nails and small gas bottles in the bag. "After the second explosion, the man ran towards a soldier and began to shout "Allahu Akbar", he says. "The military immediately opened the fire and hit the man several times." The man died on site due to his injuries. "I want to emphasize that he did not wear an bomb belt."

According to the prosecutor's office, the perpetrator is 36 years old and of Moroccan origin. "He was not known for terrorism," according to Van der Sypt. "There was a search in his house in Molenbeek last night." The prosecutor's office cannot give more information for the time being.

According to VRT's reporter Caroline Van den Berghe, the man must have been radiclised quickly because he had remained under the radar of the security services.

BBM

I have been through there many times and it always seems like that in this section of the station.It is a weird place and I mentioned it on here before about this station.This is the exit end leading out to the IBIS hotel into the city.

Hi cuffem, I was thinking about you and your brave travels to Brussels. Maybe it is time to tell your family to move if they can ~ I guess none of this was happening when they decided to live there, but times have changed too quickly.

:notgood:

IS MOLENBEEK REALLY A NO-GO ZONE?

GQ
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/molenbeek-belgium-no-go-zone

"In Molenbeek, radicalisation has been conducted by people known to the target."

So does the problem reside in Molenbeek's 22 mosques? The day before I met Moureaux, newspapers were carrying reports of Mayor Schepmans having shut one down.

"What she closed was an unofficial meeting place," Moureaux told me. "It was a gesture. We never had any evidence that the trouble emanates from the mosques." Geraldine, mother of Anis, said that her son never attended mosques but was radicalised by people "on the street". Her opinion was echoed by almost everybody I met in Molenbeek. "The people that do this," one source told me, "are more familiar with a bar stool than a prayer mat."

It is ten years since the journalist Hind Fraihi wrote her outstanding book Undercover In Little Morocco. Fraihi was one of the first to describe what she terms Molenbeek's "synergy between crime and Jihad" and has come to be called "Gangster Islam", practised by small, secretive gangs who drew inspiration from marginal figures, such as Khalid Zerkani. Zerkani, a major organiser of radicalisation in Brussels, was imprisoned for 12 years in July 2015. The case for the defence wasn't helped by the fact that Zerkani's laptop contained tracts with titles including: "Thirty-Eight Ways To Engage In Jihad" and "Sixteen Must-Have Items If You're Heading For Syria".

At Zerkani's trial, witnesses testified that he had taught small street gangs that "stealing from infidels is permitted by Allah".

BBM

Lengthy, perhaps even too lengthy article in GQ about Brussels an Molenbeek. IMHO not all is relevant but you do get a picture as to why a small drugdealer can transition unseen into an Allahu Akbar shouting suicide bomber.

Rukmini Callimachi, @rcallimachi

[video=twitter;877556848664162304]https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/877556848664162304[/video]

Officials in Belgium have tied the failed suicide bomber, who attempted to detonate a suicide belt in a Brussels station, to IS

Federal Prosecution Office says that the failed attacker, identified as "OZ" had "sympathies for the terrorist organization IS"

In suspect's residence in Molenbeek, the neighborhood linked to so many other ISIS fighters, they found chemicals used to make explosives

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back