Big Ben in Motorcycle Accident

Most professional athletes have stipulations in their contracts forbidding them to engage in reckless behavior such as this, just as many MANDATE that motorcycle use is only allowed with a helmet. Remember Jason Williams from Duke who went on to play for the Chicago Bulls? They were nice enough to still pay him when legally they did not have to because he violated the terms of his contract.

I feel badly for Ben and the long recovery road ahead of him. Why don't people realize that driving a motorcycle without a helmet is irresponsible? Just because you might be a responsible driver on your bike, doesn't mean the others in cars/trucks/bikes around you are responsible.

Masterj said:
Most professional athletes have stipulations in their contracts forbidding them to engage in reckless behavior such as this, just as many MANDATE that motorcycle use is only allowed with a helmet. Remember Jason Williams from Duke who went on to play for the Chicago Bulls? They were nice enough to still pay him when legally they did not have to because he violated the terms of his contract.

I feel badly for Ben and the long recovery road ahead of him. Why don't people realize that driving a motorcycle without a helmet is irresponsible? Just because you might be a responsible driver on your bike, doesn't mean the others in cars/trucks/bikes around you are responsible.
I guess he's just used to being on the offense...but in the game of life and especially when driving...and even in football...it's the defense that makes it or breaks it for ya! You can be the best driver in the world but you can never foresee what the other person is going to do. I just hope Ben makes a good, full, quick recovery. He can thank his size that he survived. Did you see that windshield! :eek:

As for stipulations in his contract about a helmet when riding, it was stated in the news that there were none. They put one in Winslow's contract last year when he wrecked on his m/c and injured his knee, but as for Ben's, his contract prohibits any activity involving "significant risk of personal injury" apart from football. That is pretty broad...but he just should have known better. Whether he wanted it or not, he is a role model to thousands of young people who need to see that safety is important.

A little info at link about contracts: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199156,00.html

Aside from all of that...I just hope he get's well soon!

Big Ben can now become the Poster Boy for the new "Wear A Helmet" campaign. I'm certain Ben's views on wearing a helmet have now changed forever. When did PA repeal the helmet law?? It only takes a slight miscue to become a vegetable, or dead, and it happens all too frequently. I am surprised that there are so many states that don't require a helmet.

The helmet law in PA was repealed in 2003 for all motorcyclists over 21. My brother owns a similar motorcycle and I'm hoping he'll take this as a warning!

Hi Buzz
It was repealed in September of 2003...dumb move! :waitasec: :doh:

It was older woman (62) who hit him. How much do you wanna bet that we'll see a skit on one of the late night talk shows about how the whole defensive line can't take out Big Ben, but one little old granny can.
I'm sure they're working on it right now. Come to think of it, if done right, that would be a great ad to promote helmet use. Maybe Ben will become an advocate!

ETA: sorry Pandora! I didn't see that you answered until after I posted!

Buzzm1 said:
Big Ben can now become the Poster Boy for the new "Wear A Helmet" campaign. I'm certain Ben's views on wearing a helmet have now changed forever. When did PA repeal the helmet law?? It only takes a slight miscue to become a vegetable, or dead, and it happens all too frequently. I am surprised that there are so many states that don't require a helmet.

The safety orginizations are probably on their way to the hospital.Strange indeed so many states don't have the law.

Marine Mom said:
This box contains an exact replica of the helmet that Ben Roethlisberger was wearing when he crashed his motorcycle on Monday, June 12, 2006.

Why picture an empty box? That is so STUPID! :doh: :doh: :doh:
Now if they can only get the highest bidder to pay for that empty box. There doesn't appear to be any shortage of bidders. The person that ran the ad is looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

Buzzm1 said:
Now if they can only get the highest bidder to pay for that empty box. There doesn't appear to be any shortage of bidders. The person that ran the ad is looking for their 15 minutes of fame.
Capitalizing on someone else's pain! GRRRR!

Buzzm1 said:

The ad should have read, "Contained an exact replica."

People never cease to amaze me.

"*A portion of the proceeds from this auction will be given to a motorcycle safety awareness association."

Yeah, right. The guy needs to fill up his tank since he obviously has a bike.

Usher737 said:
Ben is recovering but now there is an investigation into whether or not he had a motorcycle license.

More at links.
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_164115654.html

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06164/697867-100.stm
So......even IF he had a VALID LEARNER'S PERMIT he would have been required to wear a helmet. We have to have a license for two years, I think, before you can go without a helmet....OR have taken the motorcycle safety course.....AND be over 21 years of age.

Just a few months ago the law changed and you have to take a written test to get a motorcycle permit. Thank goodness! Prior to that you could just walk in and pay the seven bucks and they hand it to you!!! A 16-year-old kid could walk in and get a permit for a motorcycle!! You cannot get a car driver's license until you have a learner's permit and drive for at least 50 hours with a licensed driver over age 21, for SIX MONTHS, but you can go get on a motorcycle ALONE.....our state definitely makes no sense.

I am still very, very happy that he will be okay.....sometimes we don't get second chances!

indallas2 said:
Check out the increasing price on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8827899546

Each bidder must be hoping they aren't the last bidder, or perhaps they are hoping that eBay may eventually pull the ad, before it becomes time for them to pay.

Shazaam!! As if by magic--the ad has been pulled by eBay

This listing (#8827899546) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Try searching for another item now.

Buzzm1 said:
Shazaam!! As if by magic--the ad has been pulled by eBay

This listing (#8827899546) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Try searching for another item now.
I am glad they pulled it! It was tacky!

Both houses of the Michigan Legislature have recently passed bills to OK helmetless motorcycle riding. The governor has said she'll veto it. I hope she does. Maybe this tragedy will help persuade some folks...nah, they want to 'feel the wind in their hair'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back