Bill O'Reilly War Stories Under Scrutiny

Bill O’Reilly and Fox News Redouble Defense of His Falklands Reporting

By EMILY STEEL and RAVI SOMAIYA

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/b...-defense-of-his-falklands-reporting.html?_r=0

O'Reilly said to threaten reporter 'with everything I have'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/24/oreilly-new-york-times-falklands/23922989/

My ? is where were all the journalist when the brian williams story broke, no one really want to touch it, and still don't. Sometimes it's tough looking in the mirror.

Same but different.

A secretary sorry for false special forces claim

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...orry-for-false-special-forces-claim/23921771/

VA Secretary Robert McDonald admits lying about Special Forces service

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...reportedly-admits-lying-about-special-forces/

Look how usatoday titled their article saying it was a FALSE claim instead of saying he admits lying. I read headlines most when reading the news and they are very catchy. BTW I think the va guy should be fired as well for lying, it's the only way to stop it.

They need to fire every single one of these liars (and I mean every single one of them). Time to clean house.

Ex-NBC Bureau Chief Backs Up O’Reilly’s Account of Falklands War Riot
Two former CBS reporters have strongly disputed Bill O’Reilly‘s accounts of what happened one night when they covered a riot in Buenos Aires, but on The Factor tonight, O’Reilly brought on a former NBC News bureau chief who backed up his story.

Don Browne was the NBC News Miami bureau chief at the time, and he oversaw the network’s Falklands coverage. And Browne told O’Reilly his account was accurate. As opposed to some of the other accounts, which have to some extent downplayed the danger, Browne said the situation “got progressively more intense” and there were demonstrations in Buenos Aires every day.

RELATED: Dan Rather in 1982 CBS Report: TV Crew Members ‘Knocked to the Ground’ in Riots Where O’Reilly Was

Both O’Reilly and Browne recalled a “very intense situation where people got hurt” and how “this was an extremely violent and volatile situation” where reporters were in danger.

O’Reilly also spoke with Mediaite’s own Joe Concha, who wrote a column this week questioning the motivations of O’Reilly’s attackers. Concha told O’Reilly that Mother Jones is in the business of throwing red meat to progressives, and beyond that, the story isn’t making much headway anyway.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ex-nbc-bureau-chief-backs-up-oreillys-account-of-falklands-war-riot/

Ill wait to see the whole thing play out but he is not a NEW guy. If he lied that stinks but I am not seeing the for sure right now. He is an opinion host, Not a news reporter. So the standard for truth in reporting is not the same.

That's only so when it's drunk Uncle Joe who is talking at the fam-damily con-flab. Bill O'Reilly is accountable to a higher standard.

That's only so when it's drunk Uncle Joe who is talking at the fam-damily con-flab. Bill O'Reilly is accountable to a higher standard.

Especially since he likes to consider himself a 'truth-teller' :rolleyes:

The O’Reilly-hosted “O’Reilly Factor” attracted 3.33 million viewers on Monday night after several days of headlines, a 10 percent increase over his average for the month. :laughcry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...deb460-bc5f-11e4-bdfa-b8e8f594e6ee_story.html

By contrast, Fox has given no indication that it intends to investigate O’Reilly’s Falklands statements, let alone discipline him for them. The network issued a one-sentence statement over the weekend: “Fox News chairman and CEO Roger Ailes and all senior management are in full support of Bill O’Reilly.” :stay:

The O’Reilly-hosted “O’Reilly Factor” attracted 3.33 million viewers on Monday night after several days of headlines, a 10 percent increase over his average for the month. :laughcry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...deb460-bc5f-11e4-bdfa-b8e8f594e6ee_story.html

By contrast, Fox has given no indication that it intends to investigate O’Reilly’s Falklands statements, let alone discipline him for them. The network issued a one-sentence statement over the weekend: “Fox News chairman and CEO Roger Ailes and all senior management are in full support of Bill O’Reilly.” :stay:

So they don't care what kind of lies he tells as long as the ratings are high? Who'd a thunk it?

So they don't care what kind of lies he tells as long as the ratings are high? Who'd a thunk it?

That's the way of the world. You can be sure they would not have pulled lyan Brian if his ratings would have gone up.

Bill O'Reilly accused of lying in best-selling book about being at door of 'witness who held key to Kennedy assassination at moment he killed himself'

The Fox News host has said in best-selling books and on TV that he 'heard' the fatal gunshot at the Florida home of George de Mohrenschildt in 1977

De Mohrenschildt was a friend of JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald who had given evidence to the government

Three veteran journalists disputed O'Reilly's claims

Tracy Rowlett, a former anchor and managing editor of Dallas-Fort Worth station KTVT, said: 'Bill O'Reilly's a phony, there's no other way to put it'

Fox News CEO Roger Ailes has said he fully supports O'Reilly

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eporting-JFK-assassination.html#ixzz3SndQyFU4

It will be interesting to see how O'Reilly addresses the apparent JFK lie. This is far worse than the Falkland war reporting because O'Reilly's book "Killing Kennedy" is very recent and he was caught in a blatant outright lie. The website "JFK facts" actually exposed this lie over two years ago. I'm surprised it took this long for the MSM to pick up on it.

Here is a link to the "JFK Facts" story from January 2013. In the link are audio recordings of Bill O'Reilly which prove he was in Dallas and not Palm Beach when de Mohrenschildt committed suicide.

http://jfkfacts.org/assassination/news/reporters-tape-exposes-bill-oreillys-jfk-fib/

From the audio recordings made by JKF investigator Gaeton Fonzi:

“Gaeton,” the caller says. “Bill O’Reilly.” Fonzi shares some details of the story, and O’Reilly tells him his travel plans. “I’m coming down there tomorrow,” he says. “I’m coming to Florida.”

Fonzi tells him to get in contact when he arrives.

“I’m going to take a night flight if I can,” O’Reilly says, “but I may have to go tomorrow morning.”

O’Reilly’s utterances prove that he was not knocking on George Mohrenschildt’s doorstep as he now melodramatically claims. The truth is more prosaic. O’Reilly got a tip on a hot story, worked his sources to confirm it, and rushed to the scene. In making up this story for Killing Kennedy, he slighted the truth of his own professionalism.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...n_indisputable_fact_bill_o_reilly_is_no_brian

Rooney points out that O’Reilly has never said he was “in” the Falkland Islands. And although O’Reilly admits he’s a “self-aggrandizer,” Rooney said, “that doesn’t mean he made up things about what happened to him.”

“Bill O’Reilly was actually in the situation that he said he was,” Rooney said. “He didn’t make up certain aspects of an incident that never happened. I don’t think it rises to the Brian Williams situation.”

bbm If there is actually footage or audio that has not been tampered with I would like to see it or hear it. Like I said before he never said he was in the falklands that I have seen, so just cause someone says someone said something doesn't mean it's true. I am not taking up for him, if he lied he lied I just have not seen it yet, unlike in brian's case, he is a bold face liar. jmo idk

1. Lying can be absolved when another guy told a bigger lie because _____________________.
  2. It is okay to lie as opinion host but not as a journalist because _________________________.
  3. It is okay to consruct an elaborate fairy tale about being in a war zone because ________________.
  4. Constructing said fairy tale does not dishonor honest war reporters because ________________.
  5. As a journalist, it is okay to lie about where you are because _________________________.
  6. As a journalist, it is okay to lie about what you see or hear because _____________________.

Recently some war correspondents were beheaded in pursuit of their profession. I honor them. I would never trivialize their sacrifices. People who think that journalism is some sort of game about who can conjure the best story for ratings understand nothing about the importance of our first amendment, where freedom of the press is explicitly protected. With that freedom comes a responsibility to be honest. Americans can be led into unnecessary wars by dishonest, propagandistic reporting. Then people die. They don't pretend at the risks they take. They confront real risk. Not a game; true sacrifice.

I invite you to fill in the blanks in the list.

^^^^ Oh, good grief! Could O'Reilly be a bigger child?

O'Reilly might be a conservative but he's certainly liberal with the truth :floorlaugh:

1. Lying can be absolved when another guy told a bigger lie because _____________________.
  2. It is okay to lie as opinion host but not as a journalist because _________________________.
  3. It is okay to consruct an elaborate fairy tale about being in a war zone because ________________.
  4. Constructing said fairy tale does not dishonor honest war reporters because ________________.
  5. As a journalist, it is okay to lie about where you are because _________________________.
  6. As a journalist, it is okay to lie about what you see or hear because _____________________.

Recently some war correspondents were beheaded in pursuit of their profession. I honor them. I would never trivialize their sacrifices. People who think that journalism is some sort of game about who can conjure the best story for ratings understand nothing about the importance of our first amendment, where freedom of the press is explicitly protected. With that freedom comes a responsibility to be honest. Americans can be led into unnecessary wars by dishonest, propagandistic reporting. Then people die. They don't pretend at the risks they take. They confront real risk. Not a game; true sacrifice.

I invite you to fill in the blanks in the list.

I personally think it is so important that they should go to jail if they lie.

I personally think it is so important that they should go to jail if they lie.

Don't we have enough people in jail already? How about we simply shame and or fire journalists who embellish the truth?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back