Boys overlooked at accident scene, found dead later

I in no way want to be insensitive but, if these boys were thrown from the vehicle we can assume they were not wearing seatbelts.

You're not insensitive, and you're probably right. But that does not excuse what happened after the accident.... does it?

Nobody is blaming anyone that I have seen. But the officers clearly didn't follow protocol, and their sons were lying there, dead or dying, left alone until someone went to look for them hours later. That hurts. That's wrong. That needs investigated.

:clap: Ditto!

i drive by a home every day where something similar happened. the accident was at night. one of the passengers of the car was unaccounted for. the police searched. it was only in daylight that a family member went back to the scene, a busy street in a residential neighborhood and finally found the body, against the house, hidden by landscape bushes. i guess it had been thrown there up against the house by the crash. very unsettling to say the least.

You're not insensitive, and you're probably right. But that does not excuse what happened after the accident.... does it?

No, I don't think it excuses it. It is understandable how it happened.
I would assume it was dark outside, there were two people strapped in the car. Were they able to give police understandable information or were their injuries too severe? I up until reading this article would not have thought there were other victims along the road.

The scary part is what would've happened if the dad had not kept looking and found them. I don't blame LE "for" the wreck, but the procedure afterward smells strongly.

No, I don't think it excuses it. It is understandable how it happened.
I would assume it was dark outside, there were two people strapped in the car. Were they able to give police understandable information or were their injuries too severe? I up until reading this article would not have thought there were other victims along the road.

Another quote from my initial post about this:
The two other occupants survived the crash and told police and emergency workers that two of their friends were still at the crash site, said Darren Smith, a Gary firefighter and Brandon's uncle.

And the boys were found by a family member in a matter of minutes (also in that link).

This is awful. I agree that the boys should have been wearing seatbelts, the officers are not at fault for the accident or the subsequent deaths. But to leave those kids out there after being told by the others that they MIGHT be out there is despicable. They obviously did not follow protocol and they should be punished for that.

Just found this article on our local news site:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/14208301/detail.html

"Police radio recordings show that officers had been told that two teenage passengers were missing from a car crash even though officials have said that was unclear before family members found their bodies hours later in nearby brush."

The article points out a few inconsistencies between the family and the police.

The father that found the boys is now suing the Gary Police. There are videos and a recording of the actual 911 call made by a passerbyer that night as well as the transmissions between the two officers at the scene at the following link. The transmissions between the two officers clearly state that the surviving boys were telling the one officer that two of thier friends had been in the car with them. I couldn't even imagine being that father that found the two boys!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/15/indiana.crash/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

SNIP:
The Green family believes if their son had been found earlier, he might have survived.
"We brought this case about to right a justice to my son's injustice," said Green's mother Jacquelyn Green. "He was left down at the bottom of a ravine to die."
The Greens' attorney Ken Allen said he obtained an injunction to preserve all police records and 911 tapes and all other audio recordings associated with the case.
Dominique Green "had a chance to live and that chance was taken from him and his parents by the Gary police," Allen told CNN.
The attorney also said he is filing for court permission to exhume the teen's body, and that the family has hired an independent expert to perform an autopsy.
Allen said an independent expert, in addition to witness accounts, indicate Green's body had bruises, contusions and was swollen -- all signs showing the teen was alive immediately following the crash.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/15/indiana.crash/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

I think its a tragedy compounded by the need for someone to pay the family. I don't know what these folks think a lawsuit is going to do other than line their pockets.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back