British teacher sentenced to 40 lashes,for naming teddy bear Muhammad.

Aren't some of the men named Muhammed? Maybe the woman was set up. I hope the children aren't mistreated or beaten for actually naming the bear, and I hope that this woman gets the heck out of that horrible country somehow before this barbaric idiotic sentence is carried out.

Yes there are men named Muhammed just as there are men with the name Jesus. Did their mothers get 40 lashes? I don't think so.

In terms of where they were - I do think the sentence was fair - for the Sudan. I think the law is unjust, unreasonable and dumb - but given that it's there, and that obviously this teacher didn't mean to break it, the minimum punishment is appropriate.

Although... it's worth mentioning that there are indeed Christian groups that send teachers out to teach children - and incidentally work to convert them (I have a relative who works for one of them - big business). So, the paranoia over there is not completely unfounded. But I don't think they do so by naming teddy bears.

The name Muhammed is common there. The teacher's defense lawyer (a local Sudanese muslim defense lawyer, by the way) made a good point - he said that if a woman names her baby boy Muhammed, and the boy grows up to be a thief, obviously you don't claim that she just called the prophet a thief. It was a good argument - apparently didn't get her completely off - but no lashes, 10 days of jail time (time served for the other 5) - not too bad, given the climate.

I think the kids should be lashed for suggesting the name. If anyone should have known better, they should have.

Now there are protests in the streets calling for her execution by firing squad. Man, these people are nuts. How on earth can we ever hope to coexist with people who are so flippen out of their minds? The teacher looks like my dd preschool teacher. She looks like an absolute sweet heart. I am praying that she makes it home safely.

Now there are protests in the streets calling for her execution by firing squad. Man, these people are nuts. How on earth can we ever hope to coexist with people who are so flippen out of their minds? The teacher looks like my dd preschool teacher. She looks like an absolute sweet heart. I am praying that she makes it home safely.

I agree that this has gone too far. Cripes! Get her out of the country ASAP. Not that I want to see anything happen to the 7 year old boy who suggested the name, but why aren't they after him?

I sure hope she survives those 15 days in their prison. I'd try to escape if I were her, but then the punishment for that if she didn't make it is probably death by some horrific method. :(

This is so ridiculous. She didn't have to go there and teach. This is going to be their loss.

Just heard on Fox that she has been moved to a secret location, supposedly to keep her safe. Hopefully that's the case.

I will pray for her. She must be very frightened.

Actually Muhhamed is not god to Muslims. Allah is god. Muhammud was a prophet. So it would not be the same as calling a teddy bear Jesus or God. It would be more comparable to naming a teddy bear something like Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, or even Moses or Noah....and those names would not be considered wierd at all for a teddy bear.

I think extremist Muslims are friggin nut jobs.

Yes brandishing swords and calling for her execution.

Obviously these are people with no understanding in their minds, no compassion or forgiveness in their hearts and no tolerance in their lives of anyone different than themselves.

Pretty obviously no harm was intended to the Muslims or their religion.

If a foreigner in this country made the same mistake their might be some who would be insulted...but the majority of people would understand it was not intentional and no one that I can think of would want that person whipped or executed.

How will there ever be peace in this world when there are people that full of hate and the wish to kill so quickly and so easily for such minor infractions as naming a teddy bear the wrong name....???

I agree that this has gone too far. Cripes! Get her out of the country ASAP. Not that I want to see anything happen to the 7 year old boy who suggested the name, but why aren't they after him?

It's my understanding that the majority of the class voted for the name -

Amazing how people are calling for her death just because she's a teacher doing what teachers do. Many of our kids take home a teddy bear for this activity she was doing - and naming it whatever the kids want to name it is part of the "bonding" they do with the bear.

Death Penalty for being a good teacher. Harsh.

Did anyone check out the statement Dean Robert Boulus made? He's British and called her penalty fair. Send him home, too.

then again these are muslims we're talking about.. most often found to be an extremely irrational bunch- and much of this irrationality and extremism is sanctioned by their govts.
are they going to give her 100 lashes and behead her too...?

Protests of about 1000 people, amped up by the clerics (and not all of them agree) who say this is part of the huge Western plot. Not much out of a country of a few million.

Remember the lawyer who defended her, the clerics who don't say it was anything but a mistake, the millions who aren't protesting at all.

I couldn't find this thread in Up to the Minute, but it's in Crimes in the News... tells you how I think about this... lol

I was wondering how this all started:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/12/03/sudan.school/index.html

In an effort to shut down Khartoum's Unity High School, a disgruntled former employee alerted Sudanese officials that a British teacher had allowed her class to name a teddy bear "Mohammed," a British source and Sudanese presidential palace source told Time magazine's Sam Dealey.

:doh:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen