Brooke Bennett, 12 yrs. old Randolph, VT #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply cannot imagine how Jim and Janet are going to ever deal with the facts coming out about this case. It is one thing to have a child murdered, but if what it looks like could have taken place before she was killed did in fact happen...how does a parent survive it?

I am not going to fault the Bennetts for not going up against Cassandra for custody as we don't know the situation Jim was in with that. To think that Cassandra could have taken her away from her bio father for good if he had tried is still in the back of my mind here. Could Jim and Janet have done more? Probably. Yet I can't hold them responsible. This rests squarely upon Cassandra, her lack of supervision, and alertness in having Brooke and her other children around a known violent sex offender.
Reprehensible IMO.

PS- I feel so sad for Brooke's father...how do you get past this? I wish I knew.

I simply cannot imagine how Jim and Janet are going to ever deal with the facts coming out about this case. It is one thing to have a child murdered, but if what it looks like could have taken place before she was killed did in fact happen...how does a parent survive it?

I am not going to fault the Bennetts for not going up against Cassandra for custody as we don't know the situation Jim was in with that. To think that Cassandra could have taken her away from her bio father for good if he had tried is still in the back of my mind here. Could Jim and Janet have done more? Probably. Yet I can't hold them responsible. This rests squarely upon Cassandra, her lack of supervision, and alertness in having Brooke and her other children around a known violent sex offender.

SS, no alertness here. Allowing for what reason only known to herself. This is a known among her family. It is generational I feel sure and overlooked for the same reason only known to them.

I won't even use the word denial I will use the word allowed. I once heard a person in a dysfunctional family say that it is men's urges so the act was considered part of what is perceived as a normal part of these urges. It wasn't considered abuse it was considered normal.

Ok, did I miss something here? Brooke wasn't even found until Wednesday (and it was late in the day when it was announced), how could they have done an autopsy on Tuesday?
My bad...and I do really apologize...I keep thinking that last Monday was July 1st when actually we were still in June. Thanks for pointing it out.

SS, no alertness here. Allowing for what reason only known to herself. This is a known among her family. It is generational I feel sure and overlooked for the same reason only known to them.

I won't even use the word denial I will use the word allowed. I once heard a person in a dysfunctional family say that it is men's urges so the act was considered part of what is perceived as a normal part of these urges. It wasn't considered abuse it was considered normal.
Sure sounds that way. No red flags because they had their flags stripped down long ago. The warning signs wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary in that case.

*snips Braintree, Vermont - July 5, 2008

"I actually viewed her yesterday and it's just.... I felt her. I felt that she was still with me. It's been awful," says Cassandra Gagnon, Brooke's mother.

It's a nightmare she says she'll never wake up from.
"I'm very angry. I'm very, very angry. I'm very angry at my brother-in-la, very, very much so. Words can't describe the anger I've had," she says.

"You don't expect that kind of thing from family. It's just very hard to comprehend all of it," says Jim Bennett, Brooke's father.
"I hope they put him away forever and he rots in hell," says Janet Bennett, Brooke's stepmother.

Brooke's mother isn't so sure....
"I have already burned myself. If I could change this I would."

Cassandra Gagnon says she's offended by those who criticize her for letting Brooke stay with Jacques-- a registered sex offender.

Gagnon says she never allowed her daughter to visit Jacques house if another adult wasn't present.

"They have no idea. I could have been right next to her and someone could have grabbed her. I was at work and I knew where my children were. They always talk to me, so if people want to judge me, that's their choice, but to hell with them."

A family torn by conflicting emotions as they remember the 12 year old girl with an unforgettable smile.

"Her smile, yeah. She had a beautiful smile. A sweet girl," says her dad.

Keagan Harsha - WCAX News
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8623432
This woman is in such denial...no it goes beyond denial. For pete's sake, she wasn't even sure she needed to report her missing. Where was the worry when she didn't get those phone calls all day...when there weren't any notes left...when Brooke's cell phone was found but no sign of her daughter? Judge, lady...you don't need us to judge you...

Denial.... wonderful thought process that it is, keeps her from accepting the responsibility for what has happened... not only to her daughter but her sister's. If she faced the hard cold truth about that, then she would have to face the fact that she has a problem with the men in her life. How many women will face that and say I bear some of this on me... I own it. Not many... they are going to show outrage and anger at someone other than themselves. Its human nature.
Sorry...hadn't read your post. ITA!

There is also more than one family involved here (Gagnon and Jacques)...how far does this reach in both these families.

I think she needs to examine why she didn't know where her daughter was for 12 hours before she makes statements like those and why another person had to call LE in. I agree with RR completely! She can't justify HER actions when she knew her daughter was indeed missing!

There are also more than one family involved here (Gagnon and Jacques)...how far does this reach in both these families.

Wonder where Gagnon was sleeping while he was in town covering MJ's and his own *advertiser censored**.
Probably with Cassandra, she did toss out Tim (the drunk) in preparation for his visit to help out.
IMO

You know what amazes me...how did these two guys think they were going to get away with all this crap? The bs alibis, the paper trails, the planting of evidence? Can they really be THAT stupid? I mean all of this was so transparent to us (not to say that we're not GREAT at what we do because we are), but did they think that LE would buy this crap? Just wondering how connected MJs family is in that town. He obviously felt imperviable to all consequences.

Obviously, MJ DID in fact think he could get away with this. His whole life he was given "passes" for his violent behaviors and he certainly did feel he was smarter than LE. Then again, he didn't think he needed to worry about AR and RG turning on him. I bet it came as a HUGE surprise. I believe he thought he had enough on RG not to and he thought he had complete control over RA PLUS the fact she actually participated in the abduction and maybe more...she wouldn't talk.

There is also more than one family involved here (Gagnon and Jacques)...how far does this reach in both these families.

That is my big question but we can include a few other families in this and I don't think I would be out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear