Brooke Bennett, 12 yrs. old Randolph, VT #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the frustration, but I think she took the correct action...(ducking)

No need to duck. You're allowed to be wrong. ;)

I guess I just don't understand the expectation of privacy on a public library computer/network. The public is paying for that computer and network and building with tax dollars. There are no signs (at least in my library) saying that what you look at is private. I guess I am thinking along the line of payphones - people used to use them for the anonymity, but LE didn't need a warrant to get the records b/c there was no expectation of privacy.

AND, there is the issue of an ONGOING criminal investigation. I mean, a missing child with evidence of an internet lead is definitely what I would call exigent circumstances. How cold do you have to be to say, "Do you have a warrant?" while barring LE from looking at the computer logs and history when there is a 12yo girl's life hanging in the balance???

Just to be the devil's advocate here.... if the librarian had allowed access without a warrant and something happened. Either someone was arrested on an unrelated event or private information leaked. You would see a big law suit against the library and the community paying it. For this reason most places with public use computers have a policy of requiring a warrant. It is really a CYA in a society that sues too much.

I understand the frustration, but I think she took the correct action...(ducking)
I somewhat agree. People are so worried that they are going to give out info that they are not supposed to. When I worked in hotels, I wasn't allowed to give info to law enforcement without management consent. Isn't access to library records part of the Patriot Act? I don't know what the guidelines are for public libraries, but I do know that clergy are not allowed to reveal things that criminals have confessed to them unless it is at the immediate danger or someone else's life.
If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't be worried about what might be found about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther