Brownsville, Tx: Police kill armed teenage student at Texas school.

why'd he pick a fight? why'd he bring a gun? why this day?

and why are we having computer problems?????

Sounds like he may have been bullied by this one kid who he punched in the nose. There were no other attacks on other students or teachers. I don't get the stand off with the cops though. Why not just drop the weapon? He said he was willing to die. Willing to die for what or whom? Was he making some sort of statement by saying that?

I'm not having any computer issues. :dunno:

thank you kindly!!!!

911 call is part of this link:

Texas school 911 call: "Put the gun down!"

That call is horrible to listen to. You can hear how frightened they are and, even though the Asst. Principal does a good job of staying pretty calm and talking to everyone at once, how confusing it was.

I don't know how anyone could listen to this and think the police had any other choice. They told him to put the gun down about a hundred times. It wasn't just a misunderstanding or a kid with a toy. IMHO, he knew what was going to happen and planned it this way.

Sounds like he may have been bullied by this one kid who he punched in the nose. There were no other attacks on other students or teachers. I don't get the stand off with the cops though. Why not just drop the weapon? He said he was willing to die. Willing to die for what or whom? Was he making some sort of statement by saying that?

I'm not having any computer issues. :dunno:

I'm not sure I believe he was being bullied at all. In an earlier article it was speculated that he punched the kid in the nose to draw attention to himself and the gun so that LE would be called and come kill him. I think this was a suicide by cop. I only wish someone knew why.

:(

I know it's been the word-of-the-day for a couple of years now, but is it too soon to point out that "bullying" is a hopelessly vague term? EVERY interaction between human beings involves manipulation of one sort or another. That's how social animals operate.

Is the open manipulation that we usually call "bullying" necessarily worse than more subtle and passive-aggressive manipulation? I don't think so, not necessarily.

And I doubt you can find a human being on the planet who has not been both a bully and the victim of bullying at some point in his or her lifetime.

I'm not opposed to creating better social environments for our children; but I don't think we're going to succeed by throwing around vague, subjective terms.

(This is not a comment on any poster or post here. I'm talking about the news reports to which we are all responding.)

The shot in the back of the head is troubling. Was he surrounded? In other words, one or 2 cops in front and another in the back? Cop shoots at the chest and the other behind him fires at his head?

If he was shot in the chest first, wouldn't he have gone down immediately? Why a second shot to the head?

Just trying to piece together the crime scene and trying to understand how it all went down.

If he was surrounded, if he had a cop in front of him and a cop behind him. If the police officers saw a weapon, thought it was a gun and only one fired..... what happens if the one officer missed? You possibly have a dead officer.

I am seeing that these officers were trained. Yes they were trained. They were trained to recognize that a gun was involved. They were trained that at the point that the gun is pointed at them that they are in a deadly situation. They are trained that if they fail to respond, their lives are in peril, and so are the lives of others.

Many, many times from the time they spot a gun until shots are fired at them it is only a fraction of a second. In that fraction of a second they must check their field of fire to make sure that no innocents are in the field of fire. They must try to make sure their aim is accurate. And they must fire. In that fraction of a second, while making the other determinations when do they have time to check to see if the the weapon that is being held is a viable weapon? Do you now expect that they will assess if the weapon is real or just realistic, if it is loaded and if it is in firing condition?

They can only go by the actions of the person holding the gun. They have to assume that the person holding the weapon knows the condition of the gun, and that the person holding the gun knows that the officers weapons are real, loaded and in operating condition. And the person holding the gun still chooses to point the gun they are holding, they must assume the gun is capable of being deadly.

If we expect an officer to protect and serve, to safeguard the lives of others while risking their own, we cannot hamstring them. We cannot overburden them, expect them to do a weapon analysis and still protect and serve with any efficiency.

I feel terrible for the child's family. And to be honest, if it was one of mine my reaction might be similar at this point in time. But in truth at some point they will have to realize their son's choice's and actions were what led to this, no matter how much they wish it wasn't.

I also feel for all the officer's involved. This will be a major impact on them, and not one they will easily get over or get past.

Beautifully summarized, mysteriew!

This from the link posted by Chicana:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=15299265&sid=81&p=4

His parents, teachers, neighbours all said he was a good kid. I wonder what caused him to do this that fateful morning. Why did he want to die? :(
From what I have also read this behavior appears abnormal for him. He certainly had to know bringing a gun to school that someone would call LE, and then his refusal to put the gun down appears he wanted them to kill him.

:(

MOO

High on the list of gun safety tips when you give a child his or her first weapon:
point this at a police officer and that officer will rightfully shoot you dead.

It is good for LE that it was captured on the 911 call. It does clearly show they tried to get him to put the gun down. LE had no choice.

It's just tragic, it was so hard to listen to the 911 call.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back