Bulgaria - Lars Mittank, 28, German tourist, Varna airport, 8 July 2014

@Bit of hope By knowing about med's side effects, we can target the research around Varna where he was last seen.

1) Psychiatric symptoms can be caused by one or more somatic conditions, themselves caused by med, or in interaction with food, OTC meds...
If you know that a med is nephrotoxic, you can think about AKI or AKI leading to CKD, which can provoke such psych symptoms. So, you can target kidney patients association in your research.
Hematological side effects -> associations for patients with hematological disease
Rare allergic syndrome -> national or local association for said allergic syndrome
etc etc...
It is tedious, but it is doable.

Also, healthcare professionals can't tell you "I think I have him as a patient under identity X", and they can't even say so to the police.
But patients associations can receive the info and report to LE, either in Bulgaria or Germany.

I don't know if my explanation makes sense for you, BOH.

The elements found proved in the case and family's hypothesis is that Lars is alive but doesn't remember his identity.

Based on the documentary and the info I could gather from the med, I strongly believe that he didn't go very far from where he was last seen.

2) You can have both mental illness and somatic illness at the same time, ex psychotic illness + kidney failure.
That's also why I don't want to dismiss the med as a cause until otherwise proven.

Last edited:
DBM, double post

Last edited:
Sorry for making you sick about this one, but the psychiatric symptoms displayed are not specific to a cause.
It's helpful and unhelpful at the same time for searching where he is.

Unhelpful because his psychiatric meltdown has multiple causes, and are not specific to an illness.
If you said "I am tired and I have 40ºC fever", you are ill, but there are multiple cause for the combo fatigue + 40ºC fever: can be the flu, kidney, liver, heart, lung bacterial infection, can be a cancer, can be a rare genetic disease etc.... Even some medications can mess up your white blood cells and give these two symptoms, and sometimes meds you wouldn't imagine: clozapine (an antipsychotic) for example can lead to this side effect out of the blue and even after years.
So, if we focus only to patients in psychiatry, we can easily miss lines of searching.

Helpful because by listing all the possible causes for his symptoms, we can search in angles not even thought right off the bat.
So, we have a huge avenue of search around the area he was last seen, even in the whole country and in other European countries.

A psychotic episode is not necessarily of psychiatric cause. Diabetes with whacky sugars? You can have psychotic symptoms only.
Kidney disease? Ditto.
Electrolytes imbalance? Ditto.
A combo of brain injury + infection? Psychotic symptoms can and do happen.
An out of the blue endocrinological disease without family history for said disease, like hypo or hyperthyroidism? Psychotic symptoms can appear first.
And it can happen with a small antibiotic overdose, especially as it was hot, so he ate mostly fruits. Citrus and antibiotic together can be a very bad combo: it can increase the antibiotic in your blood. See this article, it's old but the summary is helpful: Undesirable effects of citrus juice on the pharmacokinetics of drugs: focus on recent studies - PubMed
We don't know what exactly he ate and drank the day he overdosed himself, but a small overdose and its effects don't occur as standalone: med absorption is influenced by your environement, and even the weather can lead to side effects. It was 40ºC during summer, and the antibiotic + assault + heat can led to a full blown psychotic symptoms.

Think also that he took a tablet at 6am, more likely than not with breakfast. What kind of cold drink do you have for breakfast? Orange juice.
The problem is that doctors advise you to never take antibiotics with orange juice, as orange is a citrus and it increases antibiotic absorption.
So, let not focus on the dose alone because it doesn't tell the whole story when accidental overdose happens.

A heat stroke because you take a med and you have temperature regulation issues? You can have psychotic symptoms without having any psych illness history.
That's why we must widen our research to somatic conditions patients associations. Because his amnesia can be tied to it. And the dose alone for such severe effects adds up to other elements, it's not a standalone explanation.

@annpats that's why I say that the small dose doesn't tell the whole story when you overdose accidentally.
If you took cyclosporin with grapefruit as usual, like your usual morning dose while drinking grapefruit juice or eating a fruit salad with grapefruit, it's similar to taking a double dose, so intoxicating yourself. While you took your therapeutic dose, mind you!
Same process for the antibiotic overdose: the amount taken doesn't tell you the whole story, as interactions with food, OTC meds, alcohol, dehydratation... can lead a small overdose to very severe symptoms.
OTOH, another person might take 6 tablets of said antibiotic and just feeling "funny", nothing more.
The intoxication severity is not always correlated to the amount taken, and that's because of interacting substances. Even substances deemed as safe generally speaking.

Last edited:
Sorry for making you sick about this one, but the psychiatric symptoms displayed are not specific to a cause.
It's helpful and unhelpful at the same time for searching where he is.

Unhelpful because his psychiatric meltdown has multiple causes, and are not specific to an illness.
If you said "I am tired and I have 40ºC fever", you are ill, but there are multiple cause for the combo fatigue + 40ºC fever: can be the flu, kidney, liver, heart, lung bacterial infection, can be a cancer, can be a rare genetic disease etc.... Even some medications can mess up your white blood cells and give these two symptoms, and sometimes meds you wouldn't imagine: clozapine (an antipsychotic) for example can lead to this side effect out of the blue and even after years.
So, if we focus only to patients in psychiatry, we can easily miss lines of searching.

Helpful because by listing all the possible causes for his symptoms, we can search in angles not even thought right off the bat.
So, we have a huge avenue of search around the area he was last seen, even in the whole country and in other European countries.

A psychotic episode is not necessarily of psychiatric cause. Diabetes with whacky sugars? You can have psychotic symptoms only.
Kidney disease? Ditto.
Electrolytes imbalance? Ditto.
A combo of brain injury + infection? Psychotic symptoms can and do happen.
An out of the blue endocrinological disease without family history for said disease, like hypo or hyperthyroidism? Psychotic symptoms can appear first.
And it can happen with a small antibiotic overdose, especially as it was hot, so he ate mostly fruits. Citrus and antibiotic together can be a very bad combo: it can increase the antibiotic in your blood. See this article, it's old but the summary is helpful: Undesirable effects of citrus juice on the pharmacokinetics of drugs: focus on recent studies - PubMed
We don't know what exactly he ate and drank the day he overdosed himself, but a small overdose and its effects don't occur as standalone: med absorption is influenced by your environement, and even the weather can lead to side effects. It was 40ºC during summer, and the antibiotic + assault + heat can led to a full blown psychotic symptoms.

Think also that he took a tablet at 6am, more likely than not with breakfast. What kind of cold drink do you have for breakfast? Orange juice.
The problem is that doctors advise you to never take antibiotics with orange juice, as orange is a citrus and it increases antibiotic absorption.
So, let not focus on the dose alone because it doesn't tell the whole story when accidental overdose happens.

A heat stroke because you take a med and you have temperature regulation issues? You can have psychotic symptoms without having any psych illness history.
That's why we must widen our research to somatic conditions patients associations. Because his amnesia can be tied to it. And the dose alone for such severe effects adds up to other elements, it's not a standalone explanation.

@annpats that's why I say that the small dose doesn't tell the whole story when you overdose accidentally.
If you took cyclosporin with grapefruit as usual, like your usual morning dose while drinking grapefruit juice or eating a fruit salad with grapefruit, it's similar to taking a double dose, so intoxicating yourself. While you took your therapeutic dose, mind you!
Same process for the antibiotic overdose: the amount taken doesn't tell you the whole story, as interactions with food, OTC meds, alcohol, dehydratation... can lead a small overdose to very severe symptoms.
OTOH, another person might take 6 tablets of said antibiotic and just feeling "funny", nothing more.
The intoxication severity is not always correlated to the amount taken, and that's because of interacting substances. Even substances deemed as safe generally speaking.

I understand a bit how you wire (if I'm allowed to say so) and admire your persistence. Me personally, just can't handle all this information anymore, like I could before. No hard feelings.

Yes because side effects can become permanent. My theory is that Lars is alive but needs ongoing care for the sequelaes, so living under a new identity not far from where he was last seen. See Latulip case.
I believe that Lars' case is similar to Latulip.
ETA: Latulip case: Man Missing 30 Years Helps Solve His Own Disappearance

By knowing more about its effects, we can target the research. Ex: nephrotoxic meds -> search among kidney patients association in the area where last seen etc...
I don't know if I made myself understand.

Not necessarily, and that's the problem.
I have psych sequelaes from congenital brain injury, and even a small intoxication leads to a full blown psychiatric meltdown straight away. Including somatic only meds.
What you say is mostly true, but with strong brain/psych symptoms before taking the med and the assault, I say that the psychiatric meltdown straight away is to be kept until otherwise proven.

ETA: my psychiatrist dx me as slow metaboliser of meds 2-3 years ago, but most patients don't know that they are slow metaboliser.
So, when pt has intense side effect with a very low dose, it can easily baffle doctors. Also, per my psychiatrist, slow metabolisers are more at risk to get serious atypical side effects even at a low dose.

Actually, he had psych symptoms before and highly likely to have brain injury after the assault.
In such case, a small overdose can lead to confusion without the physical effects: you get the psych meltdown straight away.
If there wasn't any hint of brain/psych involvement before, I'd completely agree with you.
I intoxicated myself accidentally with antihistamine and steroids, it was a small overdose and I got only the full blown psychiatric meltdown. It was treatable at home, fortunately.
A small overdose with brain injury can lead to full blown psych symptoms right away unfortunately. Yes, a small overdose can have such effects straight away.
It depends how you metabolise meds. Slow metabolisers have more side effects at a very small dosage, and the side effects can be very serious with even a below dosage recommended.
That's why I think that a small overdose as it was can have led to a full blown psychiatric meltdown.

What is inexcusable here is that German police didn't even seek advice to Poison Control Center. Bulgaria police, let go of it.
But German police can and should have done it as in Germany, it's a general public service. Heck, it can be done by a citizen without any specific professional credentials!!
In Bulgaria, only healthcare professionals can access to Poison Control Center. See list from the WHO I linked earlier.
What's baffling is that LE for homicides in Germany (BKA, as I posted earlier) didn't even know about Poison Control Center existance.
I find it even more inexcusable for German police: they could had called Poison Control in Germany and send the info in Bulgaria. They don't need specific powers for asking Poison Control opinion: they call their nearest center and say "I have a mother reporting to me that son took 1500mg of Cefzil, 2 at 10pm the night before and one at 6am, and she reports that her son did X, Y, Z which is very out of son's character. What's your opinion?" After the call, they report the info to LE in Bulgaria.
If I can call Poison Control Center in Germany as a citizen, there is no reason why German police can not do it themselves!!!! They don't even need to involve forensics at all for such call.

Since the med is now out of the market in most EU countries, I did exactly this with South Africa and got the answer by Whatsapp. I got even info which I didn't know, the infection leading to a full blown psychiatric meltdown, and from Bloemfontein Poison Control Center headperson.
And I'm only a member of the public, mind you!
Yes, I did what German police should have done as soon as Sandra reported her son missing in Germany. I'm still baffled by citizens having to do this job, and complicated because med is now out of most EU countries, when it is German LE's job!
Then, I reported everything to the Whatsapp number the family put in place and by email.
If I could do it, German police could had done it in 2014 and without as much hassle as nowadays when med is out of the market. Geeee!
I am still baffled about this one.

It’s super odd that the German police “didn’t know about poison control” honestly it sounds like a bold face lie on their part to cover up their laziness. You can’t tell me they’ve never been involved in a poisoning, accidentally or on purpose and didn’t use poison controls advice. Definitely is baffling. I agree, seems like the meds did cause him to have full blown psych attack and he ended up homeless still there or died somewhere and they haven’t found his body. Bc to be honest, did they really look?

They didn't but I think that Lars is more likely than not under social services with a new identity like in Latulip case.

You can’t tell me they’ve never been involved in a poisoning, accidentally or on purpose and didn’t use poison controls advice.
Usually, in such case, they involve forensics without asking advice to Poison Control. So, they couldn't involve forensics 4 days later when the case is dealt by Bulgaria.
Could be a lie but for me, it's more likely than not true.

Heck, even French gendarmerie didn't even know that they could ask advice to Poison Control.
I asked Poison Control about this one and they were not even surprised, they told me that LE asking advice is a very rare bird: only very intelligent folks do it in these fields. That's why trust doesn't prevent control as we say in France.

I agree it's very abnormal and in my book, inexcusable. But it happens more often than not as LE would most likely involve forensics... when involving them is not even needed.

For me, the explanation is more about misallocating resources.
I discovered that LE in Western EU has plenty of misconceptions about Poison Control Centers: most of them think that they are not allowed to ask advice to Poison Control as part of their duty, which is actually not true. They imagine that only the general public and healthcare professionals are allowed to contact Poison Control when it's actually a misconception.

Similarily to make myself understand, in France, most doctors think that in a doctor note given to the patient, they are not allowed to write a diagnosis. French Medical Board told me boldly that it's a misconception held by most doctors. Still facepalming three years later about this one.

So, when LE is involved with overdose, they mostly go straight away to forensics and in such case, they couldn't involve them.
But most LEO don't even think that they are allowed to ask general advice to Poison Control, as they think that it's not allowed in their professional capacity. I believe that a psychiatrist or a neurologist needs to prescribe a facepalm!

To summarise, or they involve forensics or they involve no one. Which is the abnormal way they function because they believe that Poison Control is not allowed to them. A serious work of information needs to be done towards them!

Last edited:
They didn't but I think that Lars is more likely than not under social services with a new identity like in Latulip case.

Usually, in such case, they involve forensics without asking advice to Poison Control. So, they couldn't involve forensics 4 days later when the case is dealt by Bulgaria.
Could be a lie but for me, it's more likely than not true.

Heck, even French gendarmerie didn't even know that they could ask advice to Poison Control.
I asked Poison Control about this one and they were not even surprised, they told me that LE asking advice is a very rare bird: only very intelligent folks do it in these fields. That's why trust doesn't prevent control as we say in France.

I agree it's very abnormal and in my book, inexcusable. But it happens more often than not as LE would most likely involve forensics... when involving them is not even needed.

For me, the explanation is more about misallocating resources.
I discovered that LE in Western EU has plenty of misconceptions about Poison Control Centers: most of them think that they are not allowed to ask advice to Poison Control as part of their duty, which is actually not true. They imagine that only the general public and healthcare professionals are allowed to contact Poison Control when it's actually a misconception.

Similarily to make myself understand, in France, most doctors think that in a doctor note given to the patient, they are not allowed to write a diagnosis. French Medical Board told me boldly that it's a misconception held by most doctors. Still facepalming three years later about this one.

So, when LE is involved with overdose, they mostly go straight away to forensics and in such case, they couldn't involve them.
But most LEO don't even think that they are allowed to ask general advice to Poison Control, as they think that it's not allowed in their professional capacity. I believe that a psychiatrist or a neurologist needs to prescribe a facepalm!

To summarise, or they involve forensics or they involve no one. Which is the abnormal way they function because they believe that Poison Control is not allowed to them. A serious work of information needs to be done towards them!
Ugh I’m not surprised about this at all now that you explained it. So many professions are like this and it baffles me. WHY would you not seek out help/advice when you needed it. In ANY situation. It causes so many rifts and it’s extremely close minded.

They ask advice... only when they can involve their own advisors. Here, forensics.

Which is needlessly cumbersome and they can achieve the same by asking... Poison Control right on the phone.

Was this John Doe ever looked at? It's a long stretch and i think that they would check the neighbouring countries. But stranger things have happened...
UM-0046
3453UMAUT

I contacted the Whatsapp number on the FB page Findet Lars Mittank and both DNA have been manually compared.
The UID is not a match with Lars Mittank.

I am talking to the person whom number is mentionned on Findet Lars Mittank

The person was clear that shoe size is too small.
He also informed me that Lars' shoe size is 43 Europe.
This is very useful when we compare with UID.

I told him that the family is wholly welcome here.

ETA: Whatsapp on FB page is of the documentarist publishing about Lars' disappearance, after combing through Google:
(English version)
(German version)

Last edited:
By
Kurt Robson 26 MAR 2022
  • Mystery of missing tourist who was last seen fleeing airport - Daily Star
  • 0_Lars-Mittank.jpg

• 1_Lars-Mittank.jpg

• Lars was seen casually strolling through the terminal before something spooks him (Image: Youtube)
    ''
    Members of YouTube and Reddit have come up with a number of theories on what could have happened to Lars – but they and investigators have been left stumped.

The CCTV footage of Mittank has been viewed well over 20million times and landed him with the title of the "Most famous missing person on YouTube".

• ''While there Lars called his mum in a horrifying panic, claimed he was being followed by people who wanted to kill him and asked if she could cancel all of his bank cards.

Bulgaria is a country with high levels of human trafficking and organised crime, which puts extra weight to Lars' claims.''
    1_Lars-Mittank.jpg

Lars sprints out of the airport and into a nearby forest (Image: Youtube)

I am talking to the person whom number is mentionned on Findet Lars Mittank

The person was clear that shoe size is too small.
He also informed me that Lars' shoe size is 43 Europe.
This is very useful when we compare with UID.

Quoting myself, but can we make a more synthetic post in addition to the OP info here Bulgaria - Lars Mittank, 28, German tourist, Varna airport, 8 July 2014, please @Sillybilly ?

Also, adding the two documentaries from Youtube (documentarist working with family, which explains more accurately the case than plenty of English speaking MSM, where facts are lost in translation) + official FB page Findet Lars Mittank which is the research page setup by Sandra Mittank for searching her son?

Also, the screenshots about the Cefzil overdose coming from the official Whatsapp number on FB page + the info about shoe size not mentionned before.

The article in #1 post is not complete enough for getting all the essential facts at the same point of reading for sleuthers new to the case.

Or for the second thread about him, we open it with these elements before linking to Thread #1.

Because:
1) Contrary to most missings cases, we have zero synthetic message to refer ourselves for getting the main facts. The main facts are spread out through 33 pages, which is very tedious especially for neurodivergent folks like me (I consider myself as disabled and neurodivergent, one doesn't preclude the other). My neurodiversity can be an asset for helping, but the way informations are given means spending more time at gathering all the main facts than fact-checking.
With a first post gathering the key elements in Lars Mittank case, it'll be easier to refer ourselves. Ex: the antibiotic overdose mentionned in the documentary is easier to find straight away, and it can avoid speculations about a fact already found proved. So, we save time and we are more productive sleuthers.

2) Lars Mittank case is not available on Doe Network, but on the German BKA website (German LE, homicide unit): BKA - Fahndung nach Personen - MITTANK, Lars Joachim
Only in German, and not enough for a good sleuth. I tried to get the English version to no avail.
OTOH, the flyer on the official website: Findet Lars Mittank is available in plenty of languages.
It can be a good base for a first post.
Most first posts copy and paste Doe Network. I think that the flyer is an excellent one.
If the family allows it, can we copy and paste the flyer and credit the info to the site? Similar to what's done with cases on Doe Network.
For the authorization, Whatsapp is a better bet than email.

Thank you for the guidance

Last edited:
By
Kurt Robson 26 MAR 2022
  • Mystery of missing tourist who was last seen fleeing airport - Daily Star
  • 0_Lars-Mittank.jpg

• 1_Lars-Mittank.jpg

• Lars was seen casually strolling through the terminal before something spooks him (Image: Youtube)
    ''
    Members of YouTube and Reddit have come up with a number of theories on what could have happened to Lars – but they and investigators have been left stumped.

The CCTV footage of Mittank has been viewed well over 20million times and landed him with the title of the "Most famous missing person on YouTube".

• ''While there Lars called his mum in a horrifying panic, claimed he was being followed by people who wanted to kill him and asked if she could cancel all of his bank cards.

Bulgaria is a country with high levels of human trafficking and organised crime, which puts extra weight to Lars' claims.''
    1_Lars-Mittank.jpg

Lars sprints out of the airport and into a nearby forest (Image: Youtube)

The family asks to check with them before giving any news. Even MSM make mistakes, especially when lost in translation.
I know it's not malicious disinformation, but it muddles the research.

in this case, the airport video is already in the documentary by Insolito.
However, plenty of key elements are missing from Daily Star article, like the specific antibiotic given. Which is actually a key detail.
Also the fractured jaw, which is also a key contributive detail to really understand the case and the likeliest reasons for his behaviour on said video.
The video is accurate, but it's not such a good article for really getting the key facts.

Source: Log into Facebook

Some clarifications by Sandra Mittank: Log into Facebook

The documentary by Insolito is by far the most complete and most accurate about Lars Mittank disappearance.

Last edited:
Thanks to Giuc0 for link..
Landespolizeiamt: Fahndungen - PD IZ, Missing Persons Lars Mittank, 29.08.2014 - schleswig-holstein.de
PD IZ, Missing persons case Lars Mittank, 29.08.2014
Who can give information about the whereabouts?
Crime scene: Varna Airport, Bulgaria
Crime time: 08.07.2014, 10.11 a.m. (local time

Sex: male
Size: 180 cm
Shape: slim, athletic
Hair: dark blonde hair
Clothing: yellow T-shirt, dark Bermuda shorts, white Adidas sneakers
Special features:
broad nose, scar on the left forearm,
if beard is present, then with a reddish stitch
mittankLars_profilaufnahme.jpg
mittankLars.jpg