Bush signs bill to collect all newborns' DNA

I see both sides of the issue here. It seems that it should be a program you have to be informed of before the test is done and that you can opt out of it.

I can see a lot of good coming from this progam if it is never taken advantage of (admittedly an unlikely "if").

• Citizenship would be documented
  • Diseases could be treated early (corrected?)
  • You could know your DNA sequence to know that if you mate with someone with the same genes you could pass on birth defects or diseases.
  • Unidentified bodies could be ID'd giving closure to families.
  • Criminals could be caught after the first offense instead of the 100th.
  • All of the problems with criminals changing names could be minimized
  • In regards to testing, perhaps countless medical breakthroughs could occur with such a large database. (should have to sign an extra consent when sample is collected for an extra sample to be used for medical or research purposes)
  • The parents of the baby could be identified - big issue when it comes to collecting child support, but could cause some divorces or even prevent some people from sleeping around.
I think they did package this (deceptively) nicely, as noted above.

I don't know whether i would let them collect samples from my babies.

My first thought was how this would have helped in my abduction/sexual assault, but my second and last thought is...protecting my children is priority number one. I'm totally against this, I can't get over the "Sections of the bill also make it clear that DNA may be used in genetic experiments and tests."

Good Lord - I have to go to bed now, having just discovered this thread. I'm bound to have nightmares for sure. Please someone tell me this is a joke!!!

I don't know how this is supposedly done or when it's done....only at birth? When a someone has a accident or injury that causes them to be hospitalized?

FWIW-I called a close friend who's a surgeon in my city, he says it isn't so.
But who knows?
confused-smiley-015.gif

I see both sides of the issue here. It seems that it should be a program you have to be informed of before the test is done and that you can opt out of it.

I can see a lot of good coming from this progam if it is never taken advantage of (admittedly an unlikely "if").

• Citizenship would be documented
  • Diseases could be treated early (corrected?)
  • You could know your DNA sequence to know that if you mate with someone with the same genes you could pass on birth defects or diseases.
  • Unidentified bodies could be ID'd giving closure to families.
  • Criminals could be caught after the first offense instead of the 100th.
  • All of the problems with criminals changing names could be minimized
  • In regards to testing, perhaps countless medical breakthroughs could occur with such a large database. (should have to sign an extra consent when sample is collected for an extra sample to be used for medical or research purposes)
  • The parents of the baby could be identified - big issue when it comes to collecting child support, but could cause some divorces or even prevent some people from sleeping around.
I think they did package this (deceptively) nicely, as noted above.

I don't know whether i would let them collect samples from my babies.

There is the option of banking blood from a babies umbilical cord for future medical use, this is purely elective. Some information at this link:
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/pregnancy/cord_blood.html

This is deffinately a scary future, so much for privacy.

This sure was slipped through quietly. I haven't even read anything about it on godlike productions.

if someone put a bill in front of bush saying that we should build a giant factory on the moon to build robots, to bring back to earth and be our slaves; and then give the robots syringes full of jim jones kool-aid to give to all the humans so they could kill us all and take over the world,, he would sign it.

if someone put a bill in front of bush saying that we should build a giant factory on the moon to build robots, to bring back to earth and be our slaves; and then give the robots syringes full of jim jones kool-aid to give to all the humans so they could kill us all and take over the world,, he would sign it.
lol Reb.
But do you think that a bill such as you suggest would pass the house and the senate like this one did?

at the rate things are going, i wouldn't be surprised!

I hear fear - but I don't see the downside? There's nothing they can do with your DNA other than identify the victim or perpetrator of a violent crime. There are some possible issues around health care discrimination - but they're working on that. Otherwise - how does DNA do anything? Maybe in the science fiction future they'll be able to pick up your DNA as you walk past - but today and for some time, it takes a lot of work to get a profile. And by the time that sci fi future comes about, they'll be able to take the sample without asking too. And I think, much like fingerprints, that we'll find it's not so nightmarish after all.

Our government has proven to manipulate laws and use information in ways it was not intended to. I don't trust our government with our most sacred identifiers. They'd find some way to use it corruptly. :crazy: Selective breeding~ weeding out disease through unnatural selection. There just seems to be too much open to chance on this one. :mad:

I hear fear - but I don't see the downside? There's nothing they can do with your DNA other than identify the victim or perpetrator of a violent crime. There are some possible issues around health care discrimination - but they're working on that. Otherwise - how does DNA do anything? Maybe in the science fiction future they'll be able to pick up your DNA as you walk past - but today and for some time, it takes a lot of work to get a profile. And by the time that sci fi future comes about, they'll be able to take the sample without asking too. And I think, much like fingerprints, that we'll find it's not so nightmarish after all.
I am with you Details. At this point I don't see anything about this that scares me.

Our government has proven to manipulate laws and use information in ways it was not intended to. I don't trust our government with our most sacred identifiers. They'd find some way to use it corruptly. :crazy: Selective breeding~ weeding out disease through unnatural selection. There just seems to be too much open to chance on this one. :mad:
All of these could be done now, if our government were what some paint it as. We know what diseases are genetic, we know who has them. Selective breeding could be done as easily today as anytime.

All of these could be done now, if our government were what some paint it as. We know what diseases are genetic, we know who has them. Selective breeding could be done as easily today as anytime.

I see your point, but I still find the government to be untrustworthy. I just don't think this should be mandatory.

Why is even the Christian networks being quiet or are they? I'm sorry but I'm not very trusting of our government and I believe it wil eventually get worse. Call anything Health Care and it will be easier to get bills passed IMO.

Are you allowed to not have your child's DNA taken - or is that choice gone since it's a law? Thank goodness I've had all my little ones. If this is mandatory, I would absolutely have a home birth.

I am with you Details. At this point I don't see anything about this that scares me.
I'm totally in agreement with you and Details. If everyone's DNA profile was documented, just imagine how it could help in solving crimes. Bodies that are now Jane/John Doe could be identified. I think this is a good thing.

Sponsors & co-sponsors of this bill are largely Democrats (16), with 5 Republicans, and 1 Independent.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back