CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creepy all J names like the Duggars!

Hmmmm, now we may be getting somewhere -- their own TV show -- "We'll be rich!! All our troubles will be over!!!"

(I didn't know that much about the Duggers -- like maybe some of you did. Now it's making a bit more sense.) But it looks like LE has just busted their "family plan."

And those children -- I hope we can follow what happens to them, but I'm not expecting to see much due to their being minors. Just hoping for the best for them. The children (all of 'em) may well be very upset, disoriented and afraid with Mum & Dad locked up. They, IMO, prolly shouldn't be separated at this early juncture in their custody, etc., etc.
JMHO

Just popping in randomly, so I apologise if this post is repetitive or out of place.

Note the sash ribbons on the girls in the wedding photos. In one set there's one girl with a smooth satin pink ribbon sash while the rest have the more dark pink layered/pleated ones but in the other wedding photos two of the girls have the lighter pink ribbon sashes. So maybe some did get new dresses for the second round but still doesn't explain why the one girl has a different sash in the other one. It could be as simple as they miscalculated the amount of ribbon and then couldn't get more later but I'm wondering exactly how many times these weddings have really been done...idk... Maybe I'm overthinking.

And there's the one boy who I guess is the ring bearer in the one wedding but it almost looks like he's helping officiate or something. All very creepy. mom with her deer in the headlights crazy eyes and dad with his weird hair and almost boyish sheepish grin. The kids are all so skinny and identical... Their upper arms in the photo where they're jumping highlights the skinniness.

I'm guessing this was a snowball effect... Like they're both odd and or mentally ill and or evil and or unworldly and the longer it went on the more it gathered momentum and size and they probably controlled everything increasingly strict and so on.

Like I mentioned before, I've been around a lot of very large religious families, and I've seen ones where they were allowed one square of toilet paper for number one and 2 for 2. (Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine needs TP in the lady's room) and some families are rather food restrictive where the children of all ages had to ask permission to get a glass of milk or anything except water. Home schooling to avoid any talk of evolution or sex or gender equality or science that reveals the anachronisms of their beliefs. This reminds me of those families.

This story has me riveted.

I wonder what brought David and Louise to southern California. People called to procreate tend to live in places with a lower cost of living and less emphasis on popular culture. Job transfer for David? Maybe it's just as simple as Disneyland is there.

I can't help but notice that David had the benefit of a first-rate college education and exposure to social norms and nonetheless chose to marry a child bride and, as far as we know at this time, deny the same educational and social opportunities to his offspring. Not uncommon -- it's far easier to control children if they are isolated -- but infuriating to me nonetheless.

I now suspect that they isolated themselves rather than joining a religion that prioritize procreation as a religious mandate, such as the Quiverful movement mentioned above. This probably worsened once they moved to California. Most religious communities will eventually interact with other families to marry their children off and continue the procreation cycle. These two weren't interested in their children finding their own destiny. Anyone else get the sense that Louise believed she was personally called by God and not part of a larger movement?

The children are probably their bio children. I don't know that the adult children would be fertile given their malnourishment and delayed development.

They were never quite right. It got worse over time. I don't think any survivors escaped until now. I do think they will discover that there were miscarriages and possibly deaths of children that were unknown to the outside world.

Those poor children have a long road ahead.

I am horrified at these parents. If they moved from Texas to California in 2010, the oldest child would have been 21-ish, which wouldn't be an odd age to still be living at home. I think their move aided in keeping the older children home without anyone questioning it...

I wonder what brought David and Louise to southern California. People called to procreate tend to live in places with a lower cost of living and less emphasis on popular culture. Job transfer for David? Maybe it's just as simple as Disneyland is there.

He worked at Northrop Grumman. My guess is they moved to California from Texas so he could work at their headquarters in Century City. It looks like they initially moved to Murrieta (bedroom community for SD/LA that got majorly hit by the housing crash) but foreclosed when they filed for bankruptcy in 2010... exactly around the time that Northrop Grumman moved its HQ to DC.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by georgiajean

There is an eerie comment on the pic posted June 2012. David-Louise Turpin posted comment "Thank you! I miss you and your office staff very much. Haven't had much desire to reproduce without you around."
Is that a play on words (using reproduce for copying/xeroxing), or is that a sexual innuendo? Strikes me as odd.

I went and looked at this. The woman (and office staff) who they miss is a gynaecologist... so that makes more sense!

Well, then, that's just damm creepy. <shiver>
moo

Poverty plus crazy plus teenage rebellion plus super religion is an ugly mix.

I can't help but notice that David had the benefit of a first-rate college education and exposure to social norms and nonetheless chose to marry a child bride and, as far as we know at this time, deny the same educational and social opportunities to his offspring. Not uncommon -- it's far easier to control children if they are isolated -- but infuriating to me nonetheless.

Good point -- we homeschool, and most homeschool parents want their children to exceed their own accomplishments. I can only think that one or both parents have either a personality disorder or mental illness. MOO

The younger children might overcome this, but the adult children-- they've likely never held a job, may have no employable skills... it's just sickening.

All said though, from the ultra religious standpoint the Elvis stuff, normal-ish clothing, mom’s strapless wedding dresses, all the DVDs, Vegas trips, etc. would be odd and generally not tolerated by most of the more “mainstream” evangelical Christian groups. Several Christian groups also have a problem with Disney in general and have boycotted the brand en masse in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But... Do we know if none of them died? :eek:

As I said earlier on the thread when someone else said this in response to my post :) ...I was going by the number of children in the photos and the number rescued. I guess I should have said “none of them died unless”...it was new babies born between photo shoots or older long-dead children who were never in the photos.

Bankruptcy proceedings showed he at least had a 401k with $80k in it at one point.

I agree, don't think gambling was the likely problem.

My husband is an engineer like the dad in this case. He worked in the defense industry for 12+ years, for a company with close ties to Northrup and Lockheed. It's common that some of these companies will automatically start a 401k for the employee, and will contribute a certain percentage of salary, whether the employee contributes or not (3% is the norm). That's what those 401k's look like to me, rather than any savings he contributed voluntarily. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they saved absolutely nothing out of his salary. Which begs the question: what were they doing with they $120000 per year? I know kids are expensive, but dang...

Poverty plus crazy plus teenage rebellion plus super religion is an ugly mix.

Who was impoverished? In the bankruptcy filing he was making $11,000+/month. While they obviously made poor (juvenile?) decisions about money, they were not impoverished.

I'm starting to agree with the former poster here who stated she thought both parents are narcissists who only care about themselves and satisfying their own personal needs.
I've seen parents like this with several kids who are neglected, semi-starved, poorly dressed, physically abused, isolated.
It's more common than most people would believe. Maybe not to the extreme of this family. But I don't cut the parents
any slack. The mother definitely lacks a nuturing gene. Maybe she was a neglected child and never learned how to
be a good parent or how to be concerned for her children's welfare. but at some point it seems that common sense would kick in and she would figure it out, IF SHE CAREd. BUT NEITHER PARENT CARED ENOUGH TO CHANGE.
Same w/ David. I think the 2 bankruptcies was a scheme. charge up major credit card debt, then walk away from it.
His parents must be cringeing that they raised this son and her parents also. Irresponsible and narcisstic both of them.

My husband is an engineer like the dad in this case. He worked in the defense industry for 12+ years, for a company with close ties to Northrup and Lockheed. It's common that some of these companies will automatically start a 401k for the employee, and will contribute a certain percentage of salary, whether the employee contributes or not (3% is the norm). That's what those 401k's look like to me, rather than any savings he contributed voluntarily. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they saved absolutely nothing out of his salary. Which begs the question: what were they doing with they $120000 per year? I know kids are expensive, but dang...

Our family of 7 lives very comfortably on our average of $80-85,000/year, however we have done so on far less and a fair chunk is still going to pay off credit debts incurred while hubby and I were in college.

769 shares but no comments? Weird..
24b959d81f3ae6a3c0686987bf458e8a.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the shares are from people like us, looking and then sharing. Yesterday when I looked at their pages, the shares were almost non-existent. Comments, too..almost non-existent. Fwiw, I did not share anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member