CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not caught up on reading so forgive me if this has been posted already.

Article with an interview from the mom's sister.

'She never let us talk to her kids. She wouldn't even accept my Facebook request. We all wondered what was going on. My parents booked several flights to go see them but when they got there they wouldn't tell them where to go and my parents left crying every time. They died before they got to see them again. It's just heartbreaking and I'm so embarrassed about all of this.'

http://dailym.ai/2rgNNy2

My husband is an engineer like the dad in this case. He worked in the defense industry for 12+ years, for a company with close ties to Northrup and Lockheed. It's common that some of these companies will automatically start a 401k for the employee, and will contribute a certain percentage of salary, whether the employee contributes or not (3% is the norm). That's what those 401k's look like to me, rather than any savings he contributed voluntarily. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they saved absolutely nothing out of his salary. Which begs the question: what were they doing with they $120000 per year? I know kids are expensive, but dang...

Agreed. At his pay level, he would have substantially more in savings if he were contributing.

My guess is that we will learn that there was a lot of physical abuse going on, besides chaining the children to beds
with padlocks. In order to keep these kids in check and not escaping for all these years I believe they were regularly beaten to keep them in line. MOO. They knew if they escaped the vile home they would be badly beaten when they
returned. the kids were so indoctrinated they believed they had no one to turn to. Home schooling also becomes
a form of control and privacy. even though they lived in a suburban housing development in actuality, they lived off the grid of any social services.

And I think many times the “parents” in these situations portray what happens if the authorities get involved as something even more terrible than what they are doing.

'She never let us talk to her kids. She wouldn't even accept my Facebook request. We all wondered what was going on. My parents booked several flights to go see them but when they got there they wouldn't tell them where to go and my parents left crying every time. They died before they got to see them again. It's just heartbreaking and I'm so embarrassed about all of this.'

I feel for them, to a point. Why did NO ONE called the cops with suspicions? I mean, come on. You go visit and they don't meet you at the airport/don't give you an address/send you back? they are all cagey? and you do nothing? Nothing at all?

I feel for them, to a point. Why did NO ONE called the cops with suspicions? I mean, come on. You go visit and they don't meet you at the airport/don't give you an address/send you back? they are all cagey? and you do nothing? Nothing at all?

Unless they had evidence the children were in danger, I doubt the police would have done anything. Adults are allowed to break off ties with relatives.

Agreed. At his pay level, he would have substantially more in savings if he were contributing.

Their bankruptcy paperwork indicates they had "between 50-99 " creditors, mostly consumer debt. Guessing they had many maxed out credit cards, money spent on their Disneyland trips (?!!!???!!!) and perhaps on their 3 cars and van (but only 2 drivers?).

Thirteen children, yes, but what expenses did they have for children who were barely fed, who didn't go to school, didn't have friends, and who weren't allowed outside except to do yardwork and serve as bizarre , passive/staged backdrop to their deeply warped parents' fantasy excursions?

I can’t find the comment she made about the hubby working for Northrop again. I wanted to compare the date to what the company said he last worked there (2010)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I thought the same thing but looking closer at photos even 5 years back, Disney photos etc- these sweet girls look like KAREN CARPENTER. These girls look SEVERELY MALNOURISHED IMHO. It’s horrifying.
Mom somehow gets her share of food- but not healthy looking either, just not emancipated.
but the kids other than baby ALL LOOK SEVERELY MALNOURISHED.
THESE KIDS LOOK EMACIATED. TORTURED.
Look closely.
They are sweet kids- all 13 and quite obviously the mom is extremely mentally ill and the dad is somehow helpless/ must have been abused by her verbally. He doesn’t look to be mentally ill like the mom does. He looks stressed. I know a family where mom was schizophrenic (undiagnosed until recently) and she mentally and verbally abused and threatened the dad. That said, they are a lovely family- just with serious illness and all that goes with it.She was only diagnosed when oldest son started acting out and was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
It’s possible the chaining started when the symptoms came on full swing in the boys/ girls.
IMHO it’s undiagnosed schizophrenia
I’m SO sad. Bless these poor children.

My suspicions run in the direction of patriarchal cultism. Some of the details fit, but beyond that, Dad has actually been employed (works in IT, according to news reports) and earning something along the lines of $140,000/year (I believe this info came from their bankruptcy attorney). While I realize that employment doesn't necessarily correlate with mental health, it looks like he was the family member able to come and go on a regular basis.

Unless they had evidence the children were in danger, I doubt the police would have done anything. Adults are allowed to break off ties with relatives.

But police will do wellness checks at request of any concerned citizen and CPS is required to follow up on every call. WHY did no one call for a check on these kids?

**so strange as a person who was (mostly) independent of my family since I finished high school at 16, am 36 now and calling these 29 year old people kids or children. My 14 year old refers to herself as “a strong, independent woman.” She works hard for what she wants, learns her interests inside and out and excels in them and has a pile of very supportive close friends.

I’ve never understood kids wanting to be dependent after they are of adult age or parents who want to keep their kids dependent. IMHO our job as parents is to prepare our children to lead happy and productive lives.

I’m not sure I want them with any family members. Not that I get to decide...

I thought the very same thing. CPS and Adult Services have many challenges ahead on this one. I can only imagine the various issues all 13 of these kids have. The youngest one may be the one least harmed.

It has been since well before the FB pics we can see, IMO when I was unwell and 78lbs at 5’2” I didn’t look as thin as those children did in the Dr. Seuss shirt photo. If they were significantly malnourished from preteen years or earlier they will not have gone through puberty as the body uses what nourishment it gets for basic survival and cannot produce the necessary hormones for growth and advancing possibility of reproduction.

Also, a developing brain needs fat. I worry about intellectual delays as well.

Did these ~ parents ~ know what they were doing? If so, they are beyond evil. How did they expect them to survive without parents?

Regarding the identical dresses~ In my childhood I would see large families with all the girls dressed the same. It was usually because the mother sewed their clothing, and it was easier and cheaper to buy a bolt of cloth for all the dresses.

I haven't seen it in decades.

This is headline news in the UK this morning. I can't believe they managed to keep all 13 imprisoned especially if it's true that one daughter has been seen using the car. Brainwashed, I guess. So sad.

What frame of reference could they possibly have that would allow them to even conceive of getting help or that anything was actually wrong? They've apparently been isolated for years.

I saw bits and pieces of them all but 2 was the one I watched the most of. You can tell by the movements of the older girls that something isn’t right. They can’t move their arms and body at the same time when they are up on the alter trying to dance with the mom. And their arms are toothpicks. So sad.

Holy ship! That was the most pathological weirdness I've seen in a looong time. My gosh.

This is the same sister who wrote "That's my sister with my baby!" on one of David/Louise FB photos of Louise with the baby. So they were FB friends at some time. They are not now. Even though she says she has not seen her sister in 19 years.

Also, a developing brain needs fat. I worry about intellectual delays as well.

Did these ~ parents ~ know what they were doing? If so, they are beyond evil. How did they expect them to survive without parents?

Regarding the identical dresses~ In my childhood I would see large families with all the girls dressed the same. It was usually because the mother sewed their clothing, and it was easier and cheaper to buy a bolt of cloth for all the dresses.

I haven't seen it in decades.

Agreed on the brain growth. In the 40 minute wedding video on youtube, " Elvis'' tries to get the kids to sing along with him and it's like pulling teeth and they just mutter some partial sounds. I wondered if they are even allowed to speak or know many words. **speculating**

ETA Or maybe they are so socially awkward having not been exposed to many people outside their home and/ or afraid to say much to ' strangers' in case of getting punished. They are definitely put on the spot and not enjoying having to sing along. MOO

I wonder about the 3 Volkswagens~~a neighbor interviewed said that she saw one of the daughters driving a couple of weeks ago. I wonder how many of the children have their driver's license..

I notice some of the kids seem to have some issues with speech. An impediment maybe? And the older girls don't appear to have reached puberty really. What happened here? Are they being starved to remain little girls? Do they have a condition? They have height so I'm not sure.

This is the same sister who wrote "That's my sister with my baby!" on one of David/Louise FB photos of Louise with the baby. So they were FB friends at some time. They are not now. Even though she says she has not seen her sister in 19 years.

Right--she has more than one comment on their FB page...

Right--she has more than one comment on their FB page...

it seemed like a pretty "close" comment to write if she hasn't seen her or the children in 19 years.

She also says she wasn't "allowed" to visit her sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea