CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that he worked at Lockheed Martin until 2010 when he left for California to work for the other contractor. Also, when they filed for bankruptcy it stated he worked for that contractor and earned $120,000 a year I think. He also had some money in the 401K at the second also.

Was he laid off or did he quit? If were laid off he would have most likely gotten severance, unemployment and the family may have qualified for state benefits too. If they were broke how did they keep the three cars? So many questions!

I am totally not into Elvis impersonators (nothing against them, just not my scene)...but this guy seems like a nice guy and does his very best to make the weddings nice. He seems to focus on the couple and not make the event all about him. I am hopeful the kids recover and heal, but another silver lining of this case is perhaps a boost to Elvis' career!

What a strange case!

jmo
I have the same ideas of Elvis impersonators...

but this guy warmed the cockles of my heart! :)

The problem is things get pled down a lot. But this is insane so i think they will do at leasts some jail time.

Bravo!

Holy smokes.

I though i saw that too.

They have the authority to investigate but they do not have the authority to enter a home an interview the people within it, without parental permission.

I thought they looked particularly healthy in that photo compared to dozens of photos and videos I have seen of them in the past. Many of the kids have presented as horribly emaciated. Including the babies and toddlers with no fat on them, and all quite pale.

That's the thing, how on earth did the 17 year old get the gumption and have the wherewithal to not only escape but to document what was happening? She is one in a million.

No. They don;t have plenty of safety nets. None of those things are mandatory. But kids who go to public school see various teachers, other students, playground monitors, lunch ladies, other parents, school nurses, etc.

Every last thing you mentioned is voluntary and homeschooling families can easily avoid all of that. So then what?

It's a balance between personal freedoms and the possibility of kids slipping through the cracks. I see no consitutional way of really creating mandatory safety nets for those kids.

I wonder if financial stressors sent them off the deep end.

Thanks so much!!!

Seriously. She blows my mind. One in a million. I fantasize about giving a home to one or more of the older kids. or acting as a mentor. Just showing them how normal people can live.

I am very scared that for the adult kids, it's too late to learn to be normal and functional.

Listen. I;m obsessed with it. It is so frickin bizarre and pathological. So much weird going on.

And the oldest "kids" in that video, are 25 (girl) 21 (boy), 20 (girl), 18 (boy) and 16 (girl).

It makes no sense to me. None of them look older than 16-17.

And the way they "dance". Holy smokes. It's tragic. So odd.

By the way, there are three of those videos, two featuring the poor kids.

I, too, am enthralled with this case...

So many aberrant issues... Many which haven't been... Or can't be ...explained!

It is like some posters have shared... Like watching a train wreck!

I can't keep away!

:thud:

The problem is things get pled down a lot. But this is insane so i think they will do at leasts some jail time.

Bravo!

Holy smokes.

I though i saw that too.

They have the authority to investigate but they do not have the authority to enter a home an interview the people within it, without parental permission.

I thought they looked particularly healthy in that photo compared to dozens of photos and videos I have seen of them in the past. Many of the kids have presented as horribly emaciated. Including the babies and toddlers with no fat on them, and all quite pale.

That's the thing, how on earth did the 17 year old get the gumption and have the wherewithal to not only escape but to document what was happening? She is one in a million.

No. They don;t have plenty of safety nets. None of those things are mandatory. But kids who go to public school see various teachers, other students, playground monitors, lunch ladies, other parents, school nurses, etc.

Every last thing you mentioned is voluntary and homeschooling families can easily avoid all of that. So then what?

It's a balance between personal freedoms and the possibility of kids slipping through the cracks. I see no consitutional way of really creating mandatory safety nets for those kids.

I wonder if financial stressors sent them off the deep end.

Thanks so much!!!

Seriously. She blows my mind. One in a million. I fantasize about giving a home to one or more of the older kids. or acting as a mentor. Just showing them how normal people can live.

I am very scared that for the adult kids, it's too late to learn to be normal and functional.

Listen. I;m obsessed with it. It is so frickin bizarre and pathological. So much weird going on.

And the oldest "kids" in that video, are 25 (girl) 21 (boy), 20 (girl), 18 (boy) and 16 (girl).

It makes no sense to me. None of them look older than 16-17.

And the way they "dance". Holy smokes. It's tragic. So odd.

By the way, there are three of those videos, two featuring the poor kids.

You are correct that it's not mandatory. I have never met a family in my life, homeschooling or not, that did not take their child to a dr. or have their children involved in extra curricular activities or friendships. (Other than abusive ones I've come across though working with children.) If kids fall through the cracks at school, which they DO all the time, I don't know how forcing regulation is the answer. Regulation also fails kids constantly. I just don't think there is a way for the government to prevent this. It takes involvement of people in society to see things that are amiss. But when people are on the fringes of society, they can easily hide.

The answers are not easy, whatever they are.

Was he laid off or did he quit? If were laid off he would have most likely gotten severance, unemployment and the family may have qualified for state benefits too. If they were broke how did they keep the three cars? So many questions!

I don't understand how they filed for bankruptcy twice yet are said to own the $300,000+ home. Does "own" mean they paid it off or that they are in the process of owning (as opposed to renting)? How did they qualify for a loan? I don't get it.

jmo

I'm wondering if this family was receiving any gov't money as a "school"? Like as in a Charter School. Who funds them?
County or State?

I only watched part of the video but the children can't click their fingers. That was one of the physical development checks at the pediatrician when my children were small, as well as skipping... They don't appear to have ever danced or had fun. They look to their mother for permission to do what Elvis is asking them to do. Only then do they appear to be having fun and trying to follow what Elvis is demonstrating. I see nothing but red flags here. It's as though they haven't been exposed to anything. And the girls can't walk in their shoes.

They do not appear to be well nourished. Sometimes one or two may appear that way in a family (I was always extremely thin), but certainly not all 12 or 13 children. I'll bet they're all Vitamin D deficient, along with other deficiencies.

I sincerely hope that the children are given intensive counseling and support. They are so far behind socially and I imagine psychologically.

JMO
I totally agree. I also caught the looks to Mom as if to get permission from her.

As far as his and his son's bowl haircut I can guarantee they are cutting their own hair because I have the same haircut style when I elect to do mine "in house" :)

I would normally think they could be just trying to save money but I have a feeling they would do their own hair to keep their kids isolated and keep them from talking to people "on the outside".

^^ probably mortgaged for a fair chunk of value

sorry, replying to #749

As a Homeschooler, cases like this frustrate me. Evil parents will be evil regardless of their educational choices. Parents of traditionally schooled children simply find other ways to manipulate and hide what’s happening in their children’s lives.

I am finally all caught up, and just speechless about this situation. As a mom of two, and a teacher, I just cannot imagine treating children (or adults) in this manner. Does anyone in the area have any suggestions as to how we can help them out? Is there anything we can do?

I am on post #471, Tapatalk says page 48/76. I am so far behind but I want to add before I start reading about press briefing a few observations. “Mother” is detached from all kids in video. Girls all touch and sway in their dresses, like it’s a new experience. Middle boy walks pigeon toed. He also has something different about his eyes. The youngest boy and one girl look like twins, even though I know the parents stated none are twins in a comment to a picture. The oldest boy looks like - in my opinion - he has a profound intellectual and/or mental disability. Don’t ask what it looks like. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand how they filed for bankruptcy twice yet are said to own the $300,000+ home. Does "own" mean they paid it off or that they are in the process of owning (as opposed to renting)? How did they qualify for a loan? I don't get it.

jmo

The property records show the home is owned by David and Louise and has a mortgage on it.

I have a very sad thought in my mind.
I wonder if these matching outfits were their 'going out' clothing.
As in, "Ok, we are all going somewhere as a family. Now, run along and put on your 'good' outfits."
I doubt they were so nicely groomed and dressed very often. Not that a kid needs a ton of clothes, but it seems these 'nice outfits' were hauled out for special occasions only, time after time.
Of course, we can only see the photos that are public. I hope so bad that there are at least SOME normal moments in their lives. Sadly, I feel doubtful.

As a Homeschooler, cases like this frustrate me. Evil parents will be evil regardless of their educational choices. Parents of traditionally schooled children simply find other ways to manipulate and hide what’s happening in their children’s lives.

Of course. But it’s a lot easier to hide when your kids aren’t around mandatory reporters.

jmo

I know someone who filed for bankrupcy and were able to keep their home by paying a smaller monthly mortgage payment. They negotiated it down to a small amount per month that they could afford.

So the home maybe one of the assets they were allowed to keep.

I found her fathers obituary, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

Hey Everyone,

Bestill, I am not picking on you but I am using your post as an example for our new members. No, we would not allow this obituary.

We do not allow any sleuthing of family members of the person or persons charged with a crime. Any crime.

Imagine if you are related to this couple from hell.
Bad enough you are related to them but then to find out you are being dissected and discussed on Websleuths only because you are related to these monsters.

The only time we may allow other family members to be sleuthed and discussed is if they are directly involved in the crime with those charged or there is something that links them to this type of crime.

What I mean is suppose you found out that that the husband, in this case, his mother and father were charged with a similar crime while he was growing up. If you come upon something like this you send a private message to me or one of the other mods/admins, pass along this information to us and we will make a judgment call.

Thank you, everyone.

This crime has really captured the nation with its disgusting details.

I can only try and imagine what type of horrors these children/adults suffered at the hands of the two people who are supposed to protect them.

Beyond tragic

Tricia

After getting an idea of their finances, I cannot help but wonder if these parents have used any of their adult children's identities to obtain more credit... moo

Just reading this now. Dear G*d in heaven, this one is CREEPING me out. Those poor children! That brave, brave girl who escaped. She is a true hero. I'm wondering if aside from possible familial abuse, if they were trafficked in any way. This is going to take years and years of therapy to help stabilize these dear children. I am truly sickened, and I pray those two monsters are dealt with in the most severe manner the law permits. So, so, so sad.
That 17 year old rocks!! I sure hope she knows what a hero she is!

I know someone who filed for bankrupcy and were able to keep their home by paying a smaller monthly mortgage payment. They negotiated it down to a small amount per month that they could afford.

So the home maybe one of the assets they were allowed to keep.

I thought they bought the house after they filed for bankruptcy, though. Going to go back and read--I might have read that wrong somewhere. But I had the same question.

She's very thin though. You cann see depth around her collar bone, dark circles, she doesn't look a healthy weight.

This is what I was looking at from the perspective of a person with personal ed experience. Collar bones, sunken cheeks, upper arms. IME when a mother of multiple children, who is not normally (per pics) at such a low weight something is going on. Anorexia is defined as a lack or loss of appetite for food and can be a result of many physical and mental conditions. The term anorexic can certainly refer to a person who has no appetite due to a physical ailment or mental illness. She is nowhere this thin and unhealthy looking in any of the other photos of her that we’ve seen.

Looking back, when I rapidly lost weight it was a reaction to grief from loosing a grandmother who was like a mom to me, my aunt and two miscarriages all in the span of less than a year. I think I lost about 40lbs in maybe 3mo and was small to begin with. Something finally clicked in my head when several coworkers had asked me if I was ill and I made a conscious decision and effort to get myself healthy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member