CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
~snip

Earlier Tuesday, David Turpin’s mother Betty Turpin told TIME she was in “total shock” to learn of her son’s arrest. She defended him as a “very likable” person and said she was waiting for more evidence in the case.

“We don’t believe anything until we find definite proof,” she said.

——————

More at link:
http://time.com/5104763/perris-california-children-turpin-mother/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a Dr. Seuss reference. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are characters in his book--This was in reference to Houndpounders post. Not sure why it didnt catch that.

O/T: please keep me in your thoughts. It is snowing, I’m in the south, power went off an hour ago and it’s supposed to be 17 degrees tonight.

Oh no! It's getting down to 10 here tonight, I think, and is not much higher than that now. Do you have alternate heat sources? If not, check with your local radio station. Ours airs requests to borrow/buy extra heaters, kerosene needs, etc...

I really hate when people do this, but I'm really short of time today and won't be able to read other posts before writing mine. My apologies if this has already been mentioned. Something that has been on my mind for a while is that some of the "victims" (hard not calling them kids) seem to look a bit like some I've seen with fetal alcohol syndrome. I wonder if LT has a history of drinking; it doesn't always take a lot to cause problems. That could account for the short stature, possibly some of the low weight, in-coordination and other things. If so, common signs of it are also irritability, aggression and hyperactivity. If so, they may have just started confining them to keep them from causing more problems. Either way, it wouldn't excuse the things that were done, but it means there is a very small possibility that the parents were just ignorant and frustrated rather than the monsters they seem to be.

I know this is all pretty unlikely, but I always try to look at issues from all sides. MOO

I would also be very interested to know if alcoholism is a factor, because it seems like a logical link with other factors in the case.
I linked a news story earlier where Louise was "a drink-driving suspect following an arrest during their time in Texas" - so I'm assuming she was pulled over for driving erratically, but for some reason the police paperwork only says she was suspected of being drunk not that they established it either way.
http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...r/news-story/534fd3c14ea6af4fdfcda4a1e9ac1307
Alcoholism would fit in with the behavioral patterns hoarding, lack of planning and forethought, and also that sense of hopelessness (I assume) she felt that her life was spiraling out of control.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128930&d=1516220007

If you look at the line up of the THING shirt photo and the supposed ages in the photo at the wedding there would have to be some mislabling going on. They don't have the right ages lining up with the right order in the THING shirts.

I was thinking that; given the ages given to the wedding photo were from an aunt who hadn't seen them in years, I'll take the THING shirts as more likely to be accurate, and guess that the aunt probably has names/ages right but may have applied them to the wrong girls. Hardly surprising to have some confusion when there are ten girls which she hasn't seen since they were toddlers/at all!

Either way I agree with everyone else that "Thing #8" is the brave 17-year-old, as she's the tallest blurred one in the media pics, and clearly by her age must be the eldest under-18 and the 8th-born. Can't give her enough praise for her bravery, and thank goodness she was believed!

Oh no! It's getting down to 10 here tonight, I think, and is not much higher than that now. Do you have alternate heat sources? If not, check with your local radio station. Ours airs requests to borrow/buy extra heaters, kerosene needs, etc...

Today is the first day it's been above zero for a couple of weeks here. With the wind chills, it's been -25 to -45 and we were crowned the coldest place in the world one day. Put on a Vikings hoodie that says SKOL and you'll be just fine. :)

I found the photo posted by someone on FB and I just assumed it must have came from David-Louise’s Facebook page. Maybe a FB friend of theirs had access to more of their photos that weren’t “public”.

RSBM

It'd be interesting to see what photos they didn't make public... might give more clues as to exactly how many babies this "mother" gave birth to ?

I wouldn't blame any of those children if they completely changed their appearance, their last names, and never wanted anything to do with the extended family -- ever.
How frightening to be chained up ... and what if a different relative imprisoned them yet again ?
(If I was one of those kids/young adults, I'd be afraid of other relatives. What if one of the relatives took them in "to protect them", and confined them for a second time ?)

I realize this case has drawn a ton of scrutiny , but that might be those kids' salvation; since public outcry might lead to people wanting them to be placed in a safe home.
But at the same time -- free to leave and try to have a shot at a normal life.

It would also be nice if someone (not a relative) could look out for them and encourage their independence.

:moo:

O/T: please keep me in your thoughts. It is snowing, I’m in the south, power went off an hour ago and it’s supposed to be 17 degrees tonight.

Oh my gosh will do! How scary. Keep us updated.

Take a look at the Vegas videos - in two of them (I only watched part of two videos) he is sweating so much he needs to wipe his face with a tissue. That happened two times, in years apart. He was not comfortable. That's not a reaction I'd expect from Mr. Patriarch calling the shots. I think he was doing what his wife wanted.

Just because I see him as a passive partner in the marriage doesn't mean he's off the hook. He is absolutely responsible just like she is. By not taking action, he was part of the problem, most definitely, 100%.

And I acknowledge I could be off base. I'll change my mind as needed. Jmopinion at the moment.

Yes and while I think he may be more passive than she I think he very likely did physically abuse those kids himself. I just don;t have the gut feeling that he controlled the family or called the shots. Her crazy grin in her mugshot gives me a hint as to her personality and beliefs about what she was doing.

But I also see him as someone who likely doled out physical abuse.

Re: the Vegas dates specificially:

"The “kids” that authorities say were found shackled and filthy in the suburban home of David Allen Turpin and Louise Ann Turpin were not in the first video the couple recorded on Oct. 29, 2011, at the Elvis Chapel, where the couple marked their 26th anniversary by promising to “love you tender” and slow dancing as Kent Ripley sang “Can’t Help Falling in Love” in a gold lamé Elvis-style jacket.

But the Turpins brought their brood when they did it again at the chapel on Sept. 2, 2013, for their 28th wedding anniversary, and again on Oct. 31, 2015, for their 30th, videos obtained and confirmed as authentic by NBC News showed."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...rture-brought-13-kids-along-when-they-n838026

Eta: so they didn't renew their vows in Sept/Oct 2017, which would have fit the 2 year pattern?

Yeah and I just read how they stopped going on trips or whatever in June 2016? Right after her mother died. Which harkens back to what someone was saying about possible hoarding.

Where did you read this?

RSBM

I think the DM. A neighbor said the Turpins' pigs ate 50 lbs of the neighbor's dog food.
Strange as the residences -- past & present -- appear to be in town.

It was from the link I posted -- pigs in Texas, when they were living in "a rural part of Hill County near Rio Vista."

[FONT=&quot]Hill County's chief deputy says it may have happened, but his office only has records of two contacts with the family: once in 2001 when a 4-year-old daughter was bitten by a dog and again in 2003 when the Turpins’ pigs ate 55 pounds of a neighbor’s dog food.

The Vinyards say the Turpins suddenly moved out in 2010.
[/FONT]

http://www.fox4news.com/news/couple-accused-of-chaining-up-13-children-lived-in-north-texas

RSBM

I think the DM. A neighbor said the Turpins' pigs ate 50 lbs of the neighbor's dog food.
Strange as the residences -- past & present -- appear to be in town.

I created an account just for this. But, knowing that boy #2 is supposed to be early 20s and he looks like he's no more than 8-10 years old is just sickening, especially since his eyes are cross-eyed it looks like an 8 year old making a silly face despite being told not to. Not a teenager who's eyes are actually stuck like that.

The shirts are supposed to be a play off of Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Cat in a Hat. I've seen pictures of other families using shirts like that before.

:welcome:

It was usually after midnight when Mike Clifford spotted the children from the house across the street.

Some nights, he’d see about six children — none of whom looked older than 15 — getting into a passenger van with their father and wonder where they could possibly be going at such an hour. Other nights, he’d see them through a second-story window in the Murrieta house, walking in circles for long periods of time.

Clifford, an aerospace machinist who works late shifts, tried to make sense of what he saw. Maybe the children had special needs. Maybe the repetitive circling was therapeutic. Maybe it was just their routine.

“It was kind of strange,” he said. But “there was never anything to say, ‘Oh, my God. I should call somebody.”
~snip

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-perris-house-children-20180117-story.html

Been reading and just lurking because I have nothing to add, other than the fact that I'm completely saddened and disgusted by this. So, they had pigs? And didn't someone say that on the bankruptcy documents there were 4 sons listed? I hate that my mind is going here, but...

I must’ve missed this particular photo on their FB page, but here the children are all lined up from the oldest to youngest.
5f52ecbc73b01fa05a2caaa4c4c0a268.jpg

So many thoughts looking at this photo. I'm curious to know how they were dressed when they were rescued. Those jeans look brand new, not one of them has any kind of fading at the knee, and the fit isn't quite right for some of the kids. See how the bottom of the leg is folded up on the younger kids, while the older kids are wearing too-long jeans and have presumably not thought to fold up their own pants.
The shoes are also brand new and matchy-matchy, not suitable for a day out. My guess is that she periodically bought matching outfits for the kids - shirt, pants, shoes - hired a photographer, and then circulated the photo, to show that they were a perfect happy family. Maybe she bought the shirts when she and hubby went to Disneyland.

Also, here's a crazy speculative thought - if she was having some children in the hospital system and some children undercover at home, is it possible that the children they rescued are not the ones documented by birth certificates? We know that a boy seems to be missing - what if LE just matched the children to known birth certificates and assumed that the eldest girl tallied with the first known birth of a girl.
I'm only using the first child as an example, and this makes it seem less probable, but the family have been out of touch with anyone who would monitor their development for a long time. If a toddler died, and another was born at home and given the same name, how could we tell at this point? A grandparent could not look at the above photo and say "Thing X isn't the same Thing X we saw 3 years ago."
In the Diane Downs case, the prosecution lawyer said she treated children as if they were "fungible" - one died, and she had another to take its place as if nothing had happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bessie22