CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just jumping in gor a minute. I've seen a number of posts referring to the boarded up windows at one of the previous properties, questioning how the neighbours did not notice they were living in darkness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i kinda assumed the windows were boarded up after the property was foreclosed and becane vacant, not that they had been living in darkness

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I did, too. I'm assuming, too, that if LE entered the Turpin residence at about 8:30am, that some of the kids being in darkened rooms referred to the fact that some of the kids were still in bedrooms with the curtains or shades drawn. (The Perris house came with window treatments already in place.)

The picture of the front arched window I've seen boarded up was from back in Texas, at the Roddy Dr house they lived in from1993 until Jun 1999, when foreclosure forced them out. The lower 3/4 of the front arched window is boarded up. The house was nasty inside...but while I can assume some at least came from prior occupants I can't tell from the photos supplied by the next owner just how much of that nastiness was due to the Turpins and how much (if any) was done by subsequent vandals or vagrants (if the window was broken and if it had been on the market for awhile). We've seen vacant homes in our neighborhoods over the years--even very, very nice ones--broken into by teens wanting a hangout. If drugs are involved, especially, some of the damage can be pretty repulsive. There is always a point of entry breach (usually a broken window).

I haven't mentioned this before, but for each year between and including 1993 and 2002 there is also another address associated with a David Turpin in Fort Worth--a specific apartment address. I've been wondering if that was the 'second residence' LE were referring to when they said the parents lived apart from the children for a time, coming in and dropping off food. It overlaps the time they lived in two different houses (one with broken window in Fort Worth and one in Rio Vista).

Also, when sister E was living with them for a short while it was when she was attending college. So I'm guessing she did not live with them at the Rio Vista house unless she went to college at a later age than the norm. If E were attending college between the ages of 18 and 22, then she'd have been visiting them at a Fort Worth residence before the Turpin's move to Rio Vista in June 1999.

Parents may lock up food or hide food if someone in the household has bulimia or binge eating disorder/compulsive overeating. I've experienced this myself firsthand. Obviously w/ 13 kids that can't be their excuse. Like, it's impossible that all 13 have Prader-Willi or another eating or feeding disorder. And feeding disorders include such things as nocturnal eating/sleepwalk-eating; extreme picky eating; rumination syndrome .. and even a lot of functional GI disorders such as GERD, IBS & IBDs can cause "phantom" hunger and malabsorption that can contribute to strange eating patterns (I live this myself every day of my life). Again, defense is outta luck 'cause not ALL 13 kids can possibly have such a condition (insert huge eye roll here).

They can't use the defense of their children having food-related conditions. Not only because it is highly unlikely all or most of them would have such a condition. Apart from that, there was an article about their Texas home (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...home-littered-faeces-had-makeshift-classroom/) where it was stated that [FONT=&quot]“Everything had locks on it: the closet had locks, the toy chest, the refrigerator.”[/FONT]

There's evidence of toys (baby doll stroller) in those photos. We've also been told the kids weren't allowed to have toys. Maybe they had toys in TX, but when they moved to CA, LT told the kids since they can't keep their toys picked up, they won't be getting any toys at the new place.
Someone mentioned earlier that the only toys at the house when the kids were rescued were new toys, still in boxes. Someone also mentioned maybe LT and DT bought the toys just to taunt the kids. Possible, but I suspect the toys may have been sent by DT's parents as Christmas gifts, but the kids weren't allowed to play with them because of house rules.

They were moving within days, I thought maybe the toys officers saw were boxed in their original packaging for the move. If they couldn't afford to feed them...if that is going to be part of their defense, then they surely would not be able to buy toys to use as torture props.

For clarification, the home near Rio Vista, Texas is a good 46 miles south of Fort Worth. They didn't live in town, they lived in the country. I'm sure DT still worked at Lockheed Martin (defense contractor), which was probably in Fort Worth, and commuted or worked from home. (see second map).

attachment.php

attachment.php
As weird as it may sound I am local to DFW and wouldn't bat an eye at someone saying Rio Vista is the FW area especially for someone working in FW. It's a stretch for sure but there has been steady growth and expansion toward Cleburne.

http://www.refinery29.com/minnesota-starvation-experiment

This is a link to the Minnesota Starvation Experiment conducted in the 1940s.

Grown men were restricted to 1,600 calories a day. They also had to exercise and carry out their normal duties.

The story documents the changes in their behavior during and after the experiment. It has proven that even "near starvation" (as it is termed) has a variety of effects including long lasting ones.

Note that the men were deprived of total calories. It sounds as though the calories they got were nutritious. And they were adults, so not still trying to grow and develop.

I know it is an old study, but I believe it provides a lot of insight.

These men did this to help other people and they have. They proved too much calorie restriction is dangerous in a lot of different ways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

Here is the wikipedia article.

Its not a drawing of a baby in a plastic target carrier bag is it? I've not seen a target plastic carrier bag, do they have a target on them? I'm sorry if it seems that I'm being dramatic, this is a horrendous case and anything could've happened. :(

They were moving within days, I thought maybe the toys officers saw were boxed in their original packaging for the move. If they couldn't afford to feed them...if that is going to be part of their defense, then they surely would not be able to buy toys to use as torture props.

BBM

In how many days were they planning on moving?

Oh my goodness. I had missed that [emoji15]
cache.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they used the chains to lock the refrigerator at night and to chain the kids in the kitchen during the day.

I'm no psychologist, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Stockholm Syndrome would not apply where the "captors" are a child's parents. Children have a natural and biological love and affinity for parents, even for parents who abuse, neglect, or abandon them.

The oldest child was born in California in 1988, so I guess they lived out there at some point. Most of our information starts with them living in a house in Fort Worth from 1992 to 1999.
That must be where the Disney obsession started.

Could be...
But how many people keep the original packaging of a toy?
Most people throw away the boxes toys come in.
IMO, the toys were bought (either by DT and LT or relatives) as torture props.

They can't use the defense of their children having food-related conditions. Not only because it is highly unlikely all or most of them would have such a condition. Apart from that, there was an article about their Texas home (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...home-littered-faeces-had-makeshift-classroom/) where it was stated that [FONT="]“Everything had locks on it: the closet had locks, the toy chest, the refrigerator.”[/FONT]

The same person said this:
"The family lived in the rural neighbourhood, south of Dallas with eight children from approximately 2000 to 2004 before they abandoned the property and moved to Perris in California."

They didn't leave Rio Vista until 2010, and didn't move tp Perris until 2014 or 2015. The Sandcastle school was registered in 2011, but I also read somewhere that the younger children were enrolled in school during the time they lived in Perris.

If they home schooled in Texas, there should be a record somewhere of their registration (school desks in Rio Vista house). Has anyone found this?

Could be...
But how many people keep the original packaging of a toy?
Most people throw away the boxes toys come in.
IMO, the toys were bought (either by DT and LT or relatives) as torture props.

Apparently they didn't throw anything away, ever. One reason might be if they passed the toys down to younger kids when old enough to play with them...like they did those unfortunate plaid dresses the sibling girls wore to two of their Vegas weddings.

I would not be too surprised if we see the boxed toys trotted out in court. So, we will see what they are.

They could be collectibles from Disney trips, they could be gifts, they could be free with purchase items... We don't really know what they are or how they were obtained at this point.

We just have been told there are some boxed toys the children couldn't use.

ETA: personally, I feel it is neglectful to a child's development to deprive them of toys. Jmo

Its not a drawing of a baby in a plastic target carrier bag is it? I've not seen a target plastic carrier bag, do they have a target on them? I'm sorry if it seems that I'm being dramatic, this is a horrendous case and anything could've happened. :(
Maybe it looks to me like the target was originally drawn, then sometime later or someone else added the outer portion turning it into a person. I was surprised by how large and high up on the wall it was. I first assumed it was small and lower on the wall.

BBM

In how many days were they planning on moving?

They were saying their goodbyes to neighbors...according to a neighbor. Police also said there was evidence they had been packing, so soon, I would imagine.

She wasn't hoping to be reunited, she was scared of them.

So why did she refuse to cooperate with police and tell then her name even after they had her in custody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2