Found Deceased CA - Alex Holden, 25, Sacramento, 31 Dec 2019

Interesting to find him in that area. That area was not only the place that was searched multiple times but it's also home to hundreds of homeless people. Hopefully more info on his exact location will be released.

"no foul play" Are we to assume that he walked from his house to this area at 2:30am (20 min walk) and just dropped dead? The girlfriend was not clear and obviously did not want the public to know they had a fight that night. There may have not been a fight. However, so many questions still remain. Was their a fight that led to suicide? Was their drugs involved? Was the friends and GF involved in the drugs and didn't want to be blamed? Was he dropped in the area recently? Did the parents know there was drugs involved and didn't want that to become public and tarnish his reputation?

Last edited:
Interesting to find him in that area. That area was not only the place that was searched multiple times but it's also home to hundreds of homeless people. Hopefully more info on his exact location will be released.

"no foul play" Are we to assume that he walked from his house to this area at 2:30am (20 min walk) and just dropped dead? The girlfriend was not clear and obviously did not want the public to know they had a fight that night. There may have not been a fight. However, so many questions still remain. Was their a fight that led to suicide? Was their drugs involved? Was the friends and GF involved in the drugs and didn't want to be blamed? Was he dropped in the area recently? Did the parents know there was drugs involved and didn't want that to become public and tarnish his reputation?
Assume nothing. :)

There is a difference between "no foul play" and "no signs of foul play." Based on their observations, LE has indicated that there are NO SIGNS and now we wait for official word from the coroner's office. MOO

ETA: And btw, Welcome to Websleuths!

I do wonder how much the homeless camps came into play and whether Alex was concealed by someone who didn't harm him/necessarily mean to do any harm. It was only said his ID and Cash card were on him, so was he robbed of his cash and phone? I don't want to speculate about the circumstances at this point but do have plenty of theories, suicide being the least of them due to the location. Note that 30 days of decomposition would make it very difficult to determine foul play right off the bat.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —

For the second time in two days, a body has been found along the American River in Sacramento, police said.

There is no evidence that the two death investigations are related, according to the Sacramento Police Department.

At about 2:10 a.m. Monday, police were notified of a body found in the area of Highway 160 and the American River Bike Trail.

Police went to the area and found a woman dead.

This death investigation is separate from Sunday's case.

The family of Alex Holden, who's been missing since New Year's Eve, believes a body found along the American River on Sunday afternoon is their son.

The Sacramento County Coroner's Office said the body will not be identified for a few days, but family members said they are confident the body recovered is Alex Holden.

Family said detectives and the coroner's office notified them that Holden's passport and debit card were found on the recovered body, and the the body's clothing also matched Holden's description.

CHP: Suspected DUI driver arrested twice in one day

No signs of foul play after Alex Holden's body discovered in Sacramento, police say

Family and friends of Alex Holden were met with tragic news Sunday when searchers found the young man's body near a river in Sacramento.

Holden, a 25-year-old Springfield native, had been missing since New Year's Eve in Sacramento, where he had lived for the last two years.

The search for Holden, who is the son of Greene County judges Calvin Holden and Margaret Palmietto, involved detectives, police dogs, drones and volunteers canvassing the area where the Amazon.com employee was last seen.

c7d77e0e-5d62-43f1-9c21-09a5c7e04b82-Holden_photo.jpg

Alex Holden (Photo: Courtesy Missing Pieces Network)

Officer Karl Chan with the Sacramento Police Department said the body was found at about 3 p.m. in the area of the American River and Highway 160. Chan said volunteers who were searching for Holden came upon the body near a bike path that runs along the river.

Sacramento police then responded to the scene and observed no signs of foul play, according to Chan. While official identification and the cause of death must come from the county coroner, Chan said police believe the body was Alex Holden.

"While this is not the outcome we hope for in any missing persons case, Alex's family finally has closure and can now begin the healing process after what has been a long month," Chan said.
Continued at link

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —

For the second time in two days, a body has been found along the American River in Sacramento, police said.

There is no evidence that the two death investigations are related, according to the Sacramento Police Department.

At about 2:10 a.m. Monday, police were notified of a body found in the area of Highway 160 and the American River Bike Trail.

Police went to the area and found a woman dead.

This death investigation is separate from Sunday's case.

The family of Alex Holden, who's been missing since New Year's Eve, believes a body found along the American River on Sunday afternoon is their son.

The Sacramento County Coroner's Office said the body will not be identified for a few days, but family members said they are confident the body recovered is Alex Holden.

Family said detectives and the coroner's office notified them that Holden's passport and debit card were found on the recovered body, and the the body's clothing also matched Holden's description.

CHP: Suspected DUI driver arrested twice in one day
The worst news for a parent IMO but he’s been found so there is some comfort in that.

I am very curious why he had his passport - it is unusual IMO to carry this unless you need it for travel - or is this new for the twenty somethings ?
JMO

The worst news for a parent IMO but he’s been found so there is some comfort in that.

I am very curious why he had his passport - it is unusual IMO to carry this unless you need it for travel - or is this new for the twenty somethings ?
JMO

I think it was a personal choice.

"Holden also had his passport, which doubled as his wallet containing his debit card. (He did not carry a driver's license, according to reports, and rarely used his car.) Holden also carried the keys to his car and his apartment, along with AirPod earbuds, according to reports."

JMO
He was known to carry his passport as his means of identification. Normally I'd find it odd, but it was something he was known to do. If I can't find a link for that though, consider it MOO.

I see @gliving was on it ;)

My opinion only, as a local.

That section of the trail is considered by just about everyone to be dangerous. Wooded, homeless, drugs, you name it. I've walked many parts of the trail, and even with a group, we never walked that part.

I didn't participate in the search on that part of the trail. I now have a bad knee and I assumed that searchers would walk the trail and cut off on both sides to search the surrounding shrubs/trees and then return to the trail, so I only participated in the midtown street one.

Now I'm really wondering if they did that. Or maybe they just walked the trail looking left and right assuming that if he were sitting somewhere, it would be right on/next to the trail and clearly visible. From what I'm hearing he wasn't that far off of the trail, in a clearing. In a clearing behind trees/shrubs? I don't know.

I'm saddened that with all the people volunteering to search, and the trail searched multiple times that it took this long.

My opinion only, as a local.

That section of the trail is considered by just about everyone to be dangerous. Wooded, homeless, drugs, you name it. I've walked many parts of the trail, and even with a group, we never walked that part.

I didn't participate in the search on that part of the trail. I now have a bad knee and I assumed that searchers would walk the trail and cut off on both sides to search the surrounding shrubs/trees and then return to the trail, so I only participated in the midtown street one.

Now I'm really wondering if they did that. Or maybe they just walked the trail looking left and right assuming that if he were sitting somewhere, it would be right on/next to the trail and clearly visible. From what I'm hearing he wasn't that far off of the trail, in a clearing. In a clearing behind trees/shrubs? I don't know.

I'm saddened that with all the people volunteering to search, and the trail searched multiple times that it took this long.
Thank you.

So heartbreaking :( I am pretty familiar with this bridge from my bike rides. It would be difficult to accidentally fall off the bridge as there is a high chain-link fence on either side of the bridge. You could, however, climb the fence and jump off.

Google Maps
That's what I've seen as well.

Kind of odd that the police were at a totally different location yesterday. I don't know what to make of that statement.

I think that his state of mind as reported to LE by family, friends etc may have directed the search from the start. We don’t know what the word “emotional” means in the context of the conversation with his girlfriend before leaving, or whether it was used by his girlfriend or just by the police. I do not think foul play was a factor, jmo.

I think it was a personal choice.

"Holden also had his passport, which doubled as his wallet containing his debit card. (He did not carry a driver's license, according to reports, and rarely used his car.) Holden also carried the keys to his car and his apartment, along with AirPod earbuds, according to reports."
Hmm how did he secure the debit card inside the passport ? I find this very interesting IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
-nyx-
Back