GUILTY CA - Anthony Avalos, 10, possibly died after abuse by mother, Lancaster, 20 June 2018 *arrests*

Feb. 2, 2023

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The half-siblings of a 10-year-old boy who died in 2018 testified Wednesday that they had been forced to undergo punishment, including kneeling on uncooked rice, wrestling each other and watching each other be disciplined in their Lancaster home, and that they saw their mother's boyfriend repeatedly dropping their half-brother on the bedroom floor shortly before his death.
The testimony of Anthony Avalos' half-sister, identified in court only as Destiny O., and his half-brother, Rafael O., came during the non-jury trial of their mother, Heather Maxine Barron, and her live-in boyfriend, Kareem Ernesto Leiva.
[.....]
Destiny O., now 13 years old, testified that Anthony had been forced to undergo a series of punishments the night before her mother called 911 to report that he was not breathing, including Leiva picking him up and dropping him "probably 10 (times) or a little more.''
[.....]
Rafael, who is now 12, said he saw Anthony being dropped by Leiva about 20 times the night before his mother called 911 to report that his half-brother wasn't breathing. He said his mother "didn't try to protect Anthony.'' He acknowledged that he didn't initially tell police about what had happened because he was trying to protect his mother, but testified that he didn't want to cover it up any longer "now that I see what she did.''
[.....]
The boy said things changed after Leiva moved into their home and acknowledged that his mother was not in the room when Leiva directed the two boys to fight each other as a disciplinary measure. He said he remembered thinking that Anthony's death was Leiva's fault.
He testified that he doesn't love his mother as much as he used to, explaining that his feelings have changed since he began to "realize all the bad things she did to me.''
[.....]
When asked by Deputy District Attorney Saeed Teymouri about Barron appearing to be "hysterical'' and "stuttering'' at times during the audiotaped interviews with detectives, sheriff's Sgt. Robert Wilkinson said,
[.....]
Leiva's attorney countered that the evidence would demonstrate that there is "reasonable doubt'' involving the murder charge against his client.
Dan Chambers said the two major issues will be "a lack of intent to kill'' and the issues of "causation.''
The defense lawyer questioned the accounts of the boy's half-siblings, whose testimony he said has changed over time.
Chambers told the judge that many of the statements by the children are "inconsistent,'' saying that their initial statements "showed a lack of any actions on behalf of Mr. Leiva with respect to the treatment of Anthony'' and that "Mr. Leiva's conduct allegedly grew worse'' as the children underwent further questioning.
[.....]
Barron's attorneys reserved their right to make an opening statement when the defense begins its portion of the case.

Thursday, February 2nd:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 6) for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Anthony Avalos (10) (June 20, 2018, Lancaster; died 6/21/18) – *Heather Maxine Barron (29/now 33) (“mom”) arrested & charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Possible sentence 22 yrs to life.
*Kareem Ernesto Leiva (32/now 36) (BF) arrested (6/27/18), charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Maximum sentence 32 yrs to life.
Bench Trial began on 1/25/23. Presiding Superior Court Judge Sam Ohta.
Court info from 8/6/18 thru 1/19/23 & Trial Day 1-4 (1/25 to 1/31/23) reference post #179 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...r-lancaster-20-june-2018-arrest.378137/page-9

2/1/23 Wednesday, Bench Trial Day 5: State witnesses: Destiny O., Anthony's half-sister. Rafael, Anthony's half-brother.
for more info see post #81 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-lancaster-20-june-2018-arrest.378137/page-10
Testimony is set to resume Thursday, 2/2/23.

Last edited:
Have not found any articles on yesterday's trial. Guess I am too early over here for any updates yet. I will check later in the day.

Friday, February 3rd:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 7) for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Anthony Avalos (10) (June 20, 2018, Lancaster; died 6/21/18) – *Heather Maxine Barron (29/now 33) (“mom”) arrested & charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Possible sentence 22 yrs to life.
*Kareem Ernesto Leiva (32/now 36) (BF) arrested (6/27/18), charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Maximum sentence 32 yrs to life.
Court info from 8/6/18 thru 1/19/23 & Trial Day 1-5 (1/25 to 2/1/23) reference post #182 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-lancaster-20-june-2018-arrest.378137/page-10

2/2/23 Thursday, Bench Trial Day 6: State witnesses: No info available. Testimony is set to resume Friday, 2/3/23.

I am thinking there was NO court yesterday. Usually California courts are dark on Fridays. I am not finding anything that might have happened either...

So I am going to correct my notes & put Day 7 to Monday, 2/6/23.

Unless someone reading here finds anything for yesterday, 2/3/23. :)

Feb. 5, 2023
LOS ANGELES (CNS) -- A man who is charged along with his live-in girlfriend in her 10-year-old son's death acknowledged to investigators in an audio-recorded interview played Thursday in court that he had disciplined the boy by hitting him with a belt, slapping him and pushing him to the floor in their Lancaster apartment.
[.....]
During a three-hour interview with Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives in June 2018, Leiva said he pushed the boy on one occasion and "he just fell.'' He said he believed the boy struck his head.
"Okay, is there any doubt in your mind that there is nobody else that is causing that bleeding to his brain in the house?'' sheriff's Detective Scott Mitchell asked Leiva.
"No, that was, that was nobody but me,'' the defendant told investigators.
[.....]
In testimony Thursday, another of Anthony's siblings broke down in tears when asked if he liked living with his mother and her boyfriend.
The 10-year-old boy, identified in court as Angel G., told the judge "they would constantly hit us.''

Monday, February 6th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 7) for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Anthony Avalos (10) (June 20, 2018, Lancaster; died 6/21/18) – *Heather Maxine Barron (29/now 33) (“mom”) arrested & charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Possible sentence 22 yrs to life.
Court info from 8/6/18 thru 1/19/23 & Trial Day 1-5 (1/25 to 2/1/23) reference post #182 here:

2/2/23 Thursday, Bench Trial Day 6: State witnesses: Sheriff's Detective Scott Mitchell, who interview Leiva in a 3-hour interview which was shown to the jurors. Angel G., brother of Anthony.
for more info see post #186 (article) here:
Testimony is set to resume Monday, 2/6/23. Court is dark on Fridays.

Unfortunately, not finding ANYTHING on what happened yesterday... but there was trial. I shall look later in the day....

Tuesday, February 7th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 8) for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Anthony Avalos (10) (June 20, 2018, Lancaster; died 6/21/18) – *Heather Maxine Barron (29/now 33) (“mom”) arrested & charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Possible sentence 22 yrs to life.
Bench Trial began on 1/25/23. Presiding Superior Court Judge Sam Ohta. Court is dark on Fridays.
Court info from 8/6/18 thru 1/19/23 & Trial Day 1-6 (1/25 to 2/2/23) reference post #187 here:

2/6/23 Monday, Bench Trial Day 7: State witnesses: No info available.
Trial continues on Tuesday, 2/7/23.

Again - not finding anything on the trial - but it looks like from the court site that it is still going on... Maybe I am just a bit too early for L.A. to update their court site.

Past Events:

Date Time Location Dept/Room Number Events
February 7, 2023 09:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 108 COURT TRIAL IN PROGRESS

Upcoming Scheduled Events

None

link: Criminal Case Summary - Online Services - LA Court

Wednesday, February 8th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 9) for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Anthony Avalos (10) (June 20, 2018, Lancaster; died 6/21/18) – *Heather Maxine Barron (29/now 33) (“mom”) arrested & charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Possible sentence 22 yrs to life.
Bench Trial began on 1/25/23. Presiding Superior Court Judge Sam Ohta. Court is dark on Fridays.
Court info from 8/6/18 thru 1/19/23 & Trial Day 1-6 (1/25 to 2/2/23) reference post #187 here:

2/6/23 Monday, Bench Trial Day 7: State witnesses: No info available. Trial continues on Tuesday, 2/7/23.
2/7/23 Tuesday, Bench Trail Day 8: State witnesses: No info available. Trial continues on Wednesday, 2/8/23.

Well - it looks like the bench trial is still going on - but I am coming up with ZERO on any articles. Any locals reading here - anything in the papers? TIA if you find something. I need what happened on Monday, 2/6 & Tuesday, 2/7 if possible.

Upcoming Scheduled Events

Date Time Location Dept/Room Number
February 8, 2023 09:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 108 COURT TRIAL IN PROGRESS

I can not believe there is NO news on this case in California. I am still not coming up nothing... And the court site is not updated yet - so I shall continue to post this until I find out differently. :)

Thursday, February 9th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 10) for both (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Anthony Avalos (10) (June 20, 2018, Lancaster; died 6/21/18) – *Heather Maxine Barron (29/now 33) (“mom”) arrested & charged (6/29/18), arraigned (7/2/18), indicted (10/31/18) & recharged & indicted (2/27/19) with 1st degree capital murder, torture (special circumstance allegation of murder involving the infliction of torture) & 2 counts of child endangerment resulting in death. Plead not guilty. Held on $2M bond. DA will not seek DP. Possible sentence 22 yrs to life.

2/6/23 Monday, Bench Trial Day 7: State witnesses: No info available. Trial continues on Tuesday, 2/7/23.
2/7/23 Tuesday, Bench Trail Day 8: State witnesses: No info available. Trial continues on Wednesday, 2/8/23.
2/8/23 Wednesday, Bench Trial Day 9: State witnesses: No info available. Trial continues on Thursday, 2/9/23.

For Thursday, 2/9

Feb. 10, 2023
LOS ANGELES (CNS) -- A young woman testifying in the murder trial of her father and his girlfriend said that she saw her dad repeatedly dropping his girlfriend's 10-year-old son on the floor and that the boy appeared to be dead when she saw him two days later.

Called to the stand in the murder trial of her father and his girlfriend, the 18-year-old woman identified in court only as "Priscilla L." told Superior Court Judge Sam Ohta -- who is hearing the non-jury trial -- that she remembered seeing the boy, Anthony Avalos, dropped "multiple times" two days before she left the Lancaster home with her sister, three of her half-siblings and her father, Kareem Ernesto Leiva.
[.....]
The prosecutor noted that Leiva uttered an expletive in the downtown Los Angeles courtroom while his daughter was being questioned about what she had subsequently told Leiva's family members.

"Mr. Leiva, I have not made up my mind about anything so your actions and how you react is part of the process of trial," the judge told him after directing courtroom bailiffs to have the defendant sit down. "You wanted to get up and leave. This is your trial."

The judge reminded Leiva that "everyone needs to keep their emotions in check" and said that he would give him 10 minutes to compose himself before the trial resumed.
[.....]
One of Barron's attorneys, Nancy Sperber, opted not to make an opening statement, but called two witnesses in advance of the prosecution resting its case. The prosecution still has more witnesses, including social workers who are expected to testify next week.

Priscilla's mother, Daisy Nava, testified that she experienced repeated domestic violence by Leiva and called the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department for the first time in January 2010 to report an argument that "turned physical." She said the two are separated but still legally married and that she hadn't sought assistance from law enforcement earlier because she felt a "lot of shame" and didn't want her family to know.

No court on Fridays - dark in California.

For both - looks like SOMETHING happened in court yesterday!! But not coming up with any current articles - just about what happened on Thursday, 2/9.

from court site for both.

February 9, 2023 09:30 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 108 COURT TRIAL IN PROGRESS

February 10, 2023 10:00 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 108 JUDICIAL ACTION

No one reading here? Not getting any likes except for @JerseyGirl - are you & me the only ones following this case? :(

Can you find anything - still coming up with zero - wonder what happened Friday for this Judicial Action - ?? the court site has.

TIA if you find anything!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

Well - nothing has changed in the court site - still has no hearing scheduled. And the last entry is the February 10th - Judicial Action.

And definitely NOT finding anything about the case....

so - I shall not post the trial - for today - and see what comes up tomorrow...

From above link:

8th Feb.

Greaux, who was a vice principal at the time at Lincoln Elementary School in Lancaster, told Superior Court Judge Sam Ohta that she called the hotline on Sept. 18, 2015, after Anthony Avalos told her that he was being abused at home.

In an audio-recorded call to the child abuse hotline, Greaux said Anthony told her that his mother had been hitting him and his half-siblings and locking them in their rooms for long hours, and that he had moved to his aunt’s house.

Greaux, now a principal in the Palmdale school district, testified that the boy reported being struck by his mother with a ping pong paddle.

She said the boy told her that his father was in Mexico and that his aunt and uncle were going to be his mom and dad from then on.

“So, only the mom was doing this to him as far as we know?” the hotline operator asked.

“Yes,” Greaux responded.

9th Feb.

On Wednesday, Anthony's fourth grade teacher took the witness stand to describe the little boy she called "everyone's best friend." Bell broke down in tears throughout her testimony, recalling him as "bubbling, always happy and a joy to be around."

Bell says she and Anthony had a special bond. He'd bring her graham crackers from the cafeteria and confided in her about his love for the Bible.

"He keeps a smile on my face all day long," Bell wrote in one of his report cards during his final year of school. "I couldn't imagine my class without him!"

On the witness stand, Bell read aloud from the last letter she received from Anthony, just two weeks before his death in June of 2018.

"I just want to stay with you forever, but I can't," Bell read aloud from Anthony's handwritten letter. "I just hope you have a good rest of your life, because you already know that I'm going to have a good life."

Bell testified that she never saw any signs of child abuse with Anthony during their year in the classroom together. Outside court, Anthony's aunt Maria Barron embraced Bell and thanked her for making Anthony's last school year full of fun and love - at least in the classroom.

Also on the witness stand Wednesday was a friend and classmate of Anthony's - a now 14-year-old girl identified only by her first name -- Sofia. Sofia described Anthony as "always hungry," and that he'd ask classmates if they had extra food at lunchtime.

"If they were passing out snacks in class, he'd ask for extras," she testified. "One thing I did notice was that he saved enough for not only him but also for his siblings, too."

She also told the court that Anthony told her he wasn't allowed to play with toys at home - and that he often wore sweaters, even if the weather was very hot. The only injuries she saw appeared to be normal injuries he might have gotten from soccer.

"He had what I can remember - scratches, redness and like little bruises," she testified.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back