CA - At least 15 killed in crash with semitruck in Imperial, Southern California, 2 Mar 2021

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
At least 15 killed in crash with semitruck in Southern California (nbcnews.com)

About 12 others were taken to hospitals. Their conditions are unknown.

At least 15 people were killed and about 12 others were taken to hospitals after a crash in Southern California on Tuesday, authorities said.

The crash occurred in Imperial, California, just north of the Mexican border.

Judy Cruz, managing director of the emergency department at El Centro Regional Medical Center, said during a press conference that a vehicle with 27 passengers hit a semitruck full of gravel...

SUV carrying 27 people collides with semitruck in California, killing 15
"Patients are going through a difficult time as you can imagine," El Centro Regional Medical Center CEO Adolphe Edward said. "This was a major accident and we are taking care of them in the emergency room department."

California Highway Patrol Officer Arturo Platero said the vehicle was westbound on Norrish Road near State Route 115 when it traveled "in the direct path" of a big rig truck traveling northbound on 115. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Imperial County Fire officials said multiple agencies were responding to the crash, which is being treated as a mass casualty event.''

27 passengers in that Ford Expedition. Unbelievable.
Its common practice for smuggling illegal aliens as the smugglers want the maximum use out of every vehicle.

When living in California, I was almost hit by a SUV type vehicle zig zagging the wrong way down a border interstate. I later found out that it was linked to a smuggling effort.

The police told me that the smuggler's often assign one of the smuggled aliens as the driver to the next stop and give him a discount. This reduces legal risk for the smugglers (they are not personally in the vehicle- thus harder to proscecute).

The volunteers or "volunteered" drivers are usually adventuresome male teenagers or young adults. The fact that their driving experience might be limited to playing say, "Grand Theft Auto" does not really matter.

Last edited:
13 'undocumented migrants' dead and several injured after SUV 'carrying 25' crashes into semi-truck | Daily Mail Online

'It would be premature for me to speculate or discuss what caused this collision. What we have to keep in mind is that 13 people died in this crash,' Watson said. 'It’s a very sad situation.'

Twenty-five passengers were inside the Ford Expedition at the time of impact. The older-model Ford should only fit six people, Watson said.

'Obviously, that vehicle's not meant for that many people,' he added. 'It's unfortunate that that many people were put into that vehicle because there´s not enough safety constraints to safely keep those people in that vehicle.'

Numerous people were ejected from the vehicle, while others 'were able to pull themselves' out of the wreck, according to Watson. Injuries are said to vary in severity from fractures, to chest injuries, to head traumas."

Senator Diane Feinstein (D-San Francisco) tweeted that she has been left 'heartbroken' after hearing the news of the fatal crash."

Its common practice for smuggling illegal aliens as the smugglers want the maximum use out of every vehicle.

When living in California, I was almost hit by a SUV type vehicle zig zagging the wrong way down a border interstate. I later found out that it was linked to a smuggling effort.

The police told me that the smuggler's often assign one of the smuggled aliens as the driver to the next stop and give him a discount. This reduces legal risk for the smugglers (they are not personally in the vehicle- thus harder to proscecute).

The volunteers or "volunteered" drivers are usually adventuresome male teenagers or young adults. The fact that their driving experience might be limited to playing say, "Grand Theft Auto" does not really matter.
I had wondered why it was common to hear about vehicle accidents involving numerous people crowded into a van/suv. I just thought the smugglers hired terrible drivers. They are probably unfamiliar with the roads and get lost. I imagine the driver could not see out the back or sides windows or review mirror with that many people in the SUV when he pulled out in front of the truck.

I had wondered why it was common to hear about vehicle accidents involving numerous people crowded into a van/suv. I just thought the smugglers hired terrible drivers. They are probably unfamiliar with the roads and get lost. I imagine the driver could not see out the back or sides windows or review mirror with that many people in the SUV when he pulled out in front of the truck.
Yes, impaired vision would certainly be an issue, but you could be an excellent driver and it would still be bordering on impossible to control the vehicle in an emergency situation even if you were only going 35mph/60kph. You would be carrying so much inertia at that speed the breaking distance would increase massively and anything more than minor steering inputs would cause to fall on its side or roll. So many people used to pass away in low speed accidents before seat belts, air bags and crumple zones. It’s a very sad incident.

It could have been due to vehicle failure. Older vehicles often have idiosyncrasies that take time to adjust to. Loose or tight steering, touchy brakes or even no brakes, flaky gas peddles, etc. Inattentive or distractive driver or even just one of those random oops moments. It’s sad that so many people lost their lives. The driver of the truck was 68. Will he ever be able to face driving a truck again?

Them being smuggled or farmworkers were my first thoughts. That's an insane amount of people in an SUV and them being on a back road like that leads me to think they were being smuggled. From working down there, those roads aren't really heavily used.

Them being smuggled or farmworkers were my first thoughts. That's an insane amount of people in an SUV and them being on a back road like that leads me to think they were being smuggled. From working down there, those roads aren't really heavily used.
I strongly suspect smuggling as the degree of overload was extreme.

California crash, what to know: 13 dead; 25 people in Ford Expedition
''A 1997 Ford Expedition, with seats removed, had 25 people inside when the big rig slammed into the side of it at the intersection of State Route 115 and Norrish Road near Holtville, California, said Omar Watson, Highway Patrol Division chief.''

''The crash occurred about 10 miles north of the border, and a Mexican government official said at least 10 of the victims who died were Mexican nationals.

The wreckage was at an intersection within a mostly undeveloped area of farmland. California’s Imperial Valley, which provides much of the lettuce, onions, broccoli and winter vegetables to U.S. supermarkets, is wrapping up its winter harvest.''

''Many workers commute daily from Mexico during the harvest, taking buses and SUVs to the fields from downtown Calexico just before dawn. But United Farm Workers' spokesperson Marc Grossman said union workers had learned the people in the SUV were not farmworkers.

The area has also long been a major route for illegal border crossings. Federal authorities said late Tuesday they were investigating any possible links to human smuggling.''

AP Exclusive: SUV in crash came through hole in border fence

Thirteen people killed in one of the deadliest border crashes on record were among 44 people who entered the U.S. through a hole cut into Southern California's border fence with Mexico, the Border Patrol said Wednesday.

Gregory Bovino, the agency’s El Centro sector chief, told The Associated Press that surveillance video showed a Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Suburban drive through the opening early Tuesday. It’s believed they were part of a migrant smuggling operation.

The opening in the fence was about 30 miles (48 kilometers) east of the crash in the heart of California’s Imperial Valley, a major farming region.

It was made of steel bollards that were built before former President Donald Trump blanketed much of the border with taller barriers that go deeper into the ground.

At least 15 killed in crash with semitruck in Southern California (nbcnews.com)

About 12 others were taken to hospitals. Their conditions are unknown.

At least 15 people were killed and about 12 others were taken to hospitals after a crash in Southern California on Tuesday, authorities said.

The crash occurred in Imperial, California, just north of the Mexican border.

Judy Cruz, managing director of the emergency department at El Centro Regional Medical Center, said during a press conference that a vehicle with 27 passengers hit a semitruck full of gravel...
Thankfully no children were killed, the only child was 16 and seems to be OK physically. There is no way they can be OK mentally after that horror. I really feel most for the semi driver. He must be devistated.

‘Don't Know How She'll Handle This': Man's Sister Hurt, Niece Killed in Imperial County Crash
7709022719-1080pnbcstations.jpg

An investigation into human smuggling is under way after a deadly major crash near the Calexico border in Imperial County.

''Berlin and Yesenia left their hometown in Guatemala a month ago, according to Dominquez.

Dominguez said his niece died in her mother's arms following the sudden impact. He said he doesn't know the details of their journey but that he had last heard from them on Monday when they were in MexiCali, the Mexican city bordering Calexico.

"It's so hard," Dominguez said. "I mean, it's so many things [going] on in our brain, and I don’t know how she will handle this."

While Dominguez admits the women crossed illegally, he said they did so due to the desperation they were living with in their daily lives.''

AP Exclusive: SUV in crash came through hole in border fence

Thirteen people killed in one of the deadliest border crashes on record were among 44 people who entered the U.S. through a hole cut into Southern California's border fence with Mexico, the Border Patrol said Wednesday.

Gregory Bovino, the agency’s El Centro sector chief, told The Associated Press that surveillance video showed a Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Suburban drive through the opening early Tuesday. It’s believed they were part of a migrant smuggling operation.

The opening in the fence was about 30 miles (48 kilometers) east of the crash in the heart of California’s Imperial Valley, a major farming region.

It was made of steel bollards that were built before former President Donald Trump blanketed much of the border with taller barriers that go deeper into the ground.
That's interesting, that would have them coming through by Imperial Dunes. That's a pretty heavily patrolled area because of how close the border is to the 8, in some spots it's within a few hundred yards. I can't recall driving through there and not seeing a BP truck or two sitting on the south side of the freeway.

‘Don't Know How She'll Handle This': Man's Sister Hurt, Niece Killed in Imperial County Crash

An investigation into human smuggling is under way after a deadly major crash near the Calexico border in Imperial County.

''Berlin and Yesenia left their hometown in Guatemala a month ago, according to Dominquez.

Dominguez said his niece died in her mother's arms following the sudden impact. He said he doesn't know the details of their journey but that he had last heard from them on Monday when they were in MexiCali, the Mexican city bordering Calexico.

"It's so hard," Dominguez said. "I mean, it's so many things [going] on in our brain, and I don’t know how she will handle this."

While Dominguez admits the women crossed illegally, he said they did so due to the desperation they were living with in their daily lives.''

I wonder why they didn't accept the sanctuary offered by Mexico? Why make such a dangerous journey to a country that isn't offering them sanctuary?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back