CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to dementia, symptoms can be subtle and people can appear fairly normal while still in their same environment.

When I worked in inpatient psychiatric hospitals in the San Francisco Bay area, we had some solo travelers admitted with dementia-like symptoms (and other solo travelers who were manic). Sometimes just getting outside of their regular routine would worsen symptoms dramatically. If there's a brain insult (such as a new drug, even antibiotics, or, say heat) the symptoms can come on pretty abruptly and may not completely subside after the drug is withdrawn or the brain is cooled down. It's possible Barbara had (fairly) early onset Alzheimer's. It has crossed my mind. One doctor told me that it can appear sudden to family members, but also that in the elderly, symptoms can appear to onset 'overnight' due to new meds, emotional upset, fever, illness, etc.

My dad had this happen (although he was very old) due to prescribed antibiotics (literally overnight, he went from typically very lucid to completely confused about where he was, who people were, etc).

To me, this theory is stronger than the abduction theory (but of course, there are other theories as well).
Thank you so much for this information as we are dealing with this at the moment and into the future and I am lost on how to proceed ..

Yeah, I'm 200% with SillyBilly on this one. "No evidence that a crime has been committed" is hair-splitting precision police-speak. They also haven't found any evidence that a crime hasn't been committed. LE knows they can't run around willy-nilly accusing people of being suspects in the media whatever RT has said, because they run the risk of a libel lawsuit; and I doubt they did. I think RT paraphrased whatever LE said to him directly into "prime suspect".
LBM
It's possible that LE asked intrusive questions.
Mainly to try to find out how she came to be abducted , as was the theory put forth by RT.
So LE treated this disappearance more suspiciously-- as an abduction is more serious than wandering off and getting oneself lost.

Agreed that no evidence has been found that doesn't disprove a crime; as in the possible kidnapping ?
LE have been silent for some time.

Alzheimer's is possible but not likely, with Barbara's upcoming trip.
She wouldn't have been in a fit state to take this trip by herself.

Yes, the only thing we have to go by are what LE has said publicly and what he the VI has said they told him.
And so far they only told him two things.

They confirmed that they have pictures of Barbara showing that she was there.

The only other thing I remember that LE said to him was that just because someone acts suspicious does not mean he is a murderer.

Ironically, the only one who has made any statements that cast suspicion on Robert is Robert himself.

Well, and of course Barbara's son who has been found not to be a reliable source. Which is unfortunate because we had to go back and reconsider everything he told the VI.

Imo
LBM
Thanks, I didn't realize LE told RT this. Unless I missed it.
This has become a lengthy thread.
Ita.

Last edited:
LBM
It's possible that LE asked intrusive questions.
Mainly to try to find out how she came to be abducted , as was the theory put forth by RT.
So LE treated this disappearance more suspiciously-- as an abduction is more serious than wandering off and getting oneself lost.

Agreed that no evidence has been found that doesn't disprove a crime; as in the possible kidnapping ?
LE have been silent for some time.

Alzheimer's is possible but not likely, with Barbara's upcoming trip.
She wouldn't have been in a fit state to take this trip by herself.

LBM
Thanks, I didn't realize LE told RT this. Unless I missed it.
This has become a lengthy thread.
Ita.
He actually said it in a reply to one of my posts. That's why I remember it. I believe we were discussing RT's suspicious behavior.
And yes, it was a long time ago it seems so I'm not even sure which thread it was in.

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members