CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
The primitive camping area would be a deliberate walk within full view of Kelbaker rd from most positions. RT could not access this area with a 5fh wheel. If BT accessed this area she would have to walk sideways and climb up and through some major rocks..

Last edited:
@cazador

You mentioned speaking with a detective; were they able to give you any additional ideas for your drone search?

Were they able to share whether they were allowed access to RT’s home, RV, computers, phone, gps data? I understand RT reported to dbdb11 they went through everything, but idk how much he was saying was truth vs trying to spare Barbara’s HK family from worry and how he must have felt awful she went missing in a place where it’s impossible to do so.

Did you get a sense of how their special investigations unit is viewing her disappearance? Is it still a missing person case? Are they actively working it?

Lots of questions, I’m glad they spoke with you. Was it via phone or in person?

No rush to answer...primarily, it would be nice if they could give you an idea of where else to search and data that could prove useful to them

ETA: and data that could prove useful to them

@cazador

You mentioned speaking with a detective; were they able to give you any additional ideas for your drone search?

Were they able to share whether they were allowed access to RT’s home, RV, computers, phone, gps data? I understand RT reported to dbdb11 they went through everything, but idk how much he was saying was truth vs trying to spare Barbara’s HK family from worry and how he must have felt awful she went missing in a place where it’s impossible to do so.

Did you get a sense of how their special investigations unit is viewing her disappearance? Is it still a missing person case? Are they actively working it?

Lots of questions, I’m glad they spoke with you. Was it via phone or in person?

No rush to answer...primarily, it would be nice if they could give you an idea of where else to search and data that could prove useful to them

ETA: and data that could prove useful to them
Never ... They can not talk about an active case. I have done this before so I know the rules..

Never ... They can not talk about an active case. I have done this before so I know the rules..
Just checking in! I have not posted in a while, but always lurking and praying for Barb!

Cazador, you are awesome for doing this and being actual boots on the ground! Your dedication to Barbara’s case is amazing! Thank you for any and all insights. It is so appreciated! MOO

A little hint ... When you call in to LE and they answer the phone.. “ Special investigations Homicide Division “ .. You know where you are at ...
Hmmm. I admit to having been team RT in that I believe random bad stuff does happen (like getting lost in the desert) and I want to believe the best of people, but I've always tried to also keep an open mind. Thanks for your very informative posts today (and always). I know others have also visited but I've not been able to read everything.

Thank you so much for the details, Cazador. Can't wait to see the pictures.

What if she didn't get lost but deliberately (or in an impaired state of mind) took off down the wrong trail (or along Hidden Hills Road). What's it like on that other side of the road?

Something happened to make Barbara disappear. Abduction or, perhaps, an intentional walk in a direction away from the RV area.

Or she's in another area entirely, which would be awful and how would she get there, aside from walking? None of the trails near where she disappeared would lead very far - except for Hidden Hills Road.

What I find interesting right now, in Cazador's report, is the fact that their voices carried quite a distance (and that the power lines could be used as easy ways of finding the road).

It's very hard for me to put faith in some of the other variables (such as where Barbara was last seen).

Hmm not necessarily. Don't homicide units normally get assigned to missing persons as well due to the resources they have?

Yes, it's even on their website.

Specialized Investigations – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department

The Homicide Detail is responsible for investigating all homicides, unexplained deaths, deaths of a suspicious nature and in-custody deaths that occur in the Department’s primary jurisdiction. Similar investigations are done in those contract city areas served by the department, as well as other police agency jurisdictions within the county, when approved by the Office of the Sheriff. The Homicide Detail also investigates all Lethal Force Encounters where a deputy or other member of the Department discharged his/her firearm or was involved in an altercation with a suspect which resulted in death. The Homicide Detail is also tasked with conducting “Special Investigations,” when a member of the Department or other agency in the county is accused of criminal misconduct as determined by the Office of the Sheriff. Every year, many investigations are brought to a successful conclusion with the assistance of the Sheriff’s Narcotics Division, Specialized Enforcement Division and the Sheriff’s Gang Team. These teams are critical in helping locate and arrest violent criminal suspects. The detail is made up of five sergeants, 22 detectives and two investigators. Four members are assigned specifically to working cold cases. The Cold Case Team currently has two Deputy District Attorney’s assigned for the sole purpose of prosecuting difficult cold cases. The Cold Case Team is partially funded through a federal grant specifically aimed at solving cold homicide cases through DNA. Since its inception in 2008, the Cold Case Team has solved 46 cold case murder investigations, dating back as far as 1981, using DNA and a variety of other investigative means.

They investigate a lot of things that aren't homicides.

Hmmm. I admit to having been team RT in that I believe random bad stuff does happen (like getting lost in the desert) and I want to believe the best of people, but I've always tried to also keep an open mind. Thanks for your very informative posts today (and always). I know others have also visited but I've not been able to read everything.

I have also been trying to keep an open mind about what happened, and to take seriously the possibility that RT *mostly* told the truth and is a victim of her disappearance. But I keep wondering what parts of the full story he might have omitted or revised to make his actions look better to BT's relatives. JMO.

I'm grateful to @cazador (and others) for visiting the site and look forward to hearing much more about their trip, and seeing his photos.

Thank you so much for the details, Cazador. Can't wait to see the pictures.

What if she didn't get lost but deliberately (or in an impaired state of mind) took off down the wrong trail (or along Hidden Hills Road). What's it like on that other side of the road?

Something happened to make Barbara disappear. Abduction or, perhaps, an intentional walk in a direction away from the RV area.

Or she's in another area entirely, which would be awful and how would she get there, aside from walking? None of the trails near where she disappeared would lead very far - except for Hidden Hills Road.
Hidden hills rd .. All dirt road narrow not well maintained. Third paragraph is what I am considering.. I went back out today.

Since she was a rock collector, maybe even an obssessive one, who's to say when she got back to the RV she crossed the street to the other side and wondered off, then got disoriented. That or she really was abducted.

Hi
We walked the zone 3 times front to back. My wife called out my name from various positions and I can hear her from most positions. Most of the time you can see the telephone lines for a landmark position. Kelbaker rd has traffic and you can see roof tops driving the road and motor home are quite visible. You step up on a rock and Everthing is visable. The paved parking area is visable ..

And yet, AFAWK, RT did not report hearing BT call out his name or scream for help when she was allegedly being 'taken'..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz