CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s so sad her son is saying he has no idea where she is and is heartbroken.
(guessing it’s on his sm)

Thinking of her family in HK also, it’s been a while since her nephew was on here.

We need a clue, a tip, something to find her.
It’s time for another search, and with drones.

I haven't kept up with this thread, but one thing that was a "red flag" for me was her husband posting a picture of her wearing exactly the items he described her as wearing but she looked at least 10-15 years younger than her last online photos so I don't think it was a picture taken recently. In my opinion, I don't think she was ever in the desert. They would have found her by now and kidnapping from such a remote location would be unlikely.

I haven't kept up with this thread, but one thing that was a "red flag" for me was her husband posting a picture of her wearing exactly the items he described her as wearing but she looked at least 10-15 years younger than her last online photos so I don't think it was a picture taken recently. In my opinion, I don't think she was ever in the desert. They would have found her by now and kidnapping from such a remote location would be unlikely.

I agree. So many things about his story simply don't make sense.

I think I’m one of the very few on the thread who does NOT consider the cause of this disappearance is due to nefarious activities.

I think she simply wandered off and succumbed to the heat, yet to be found. It is extremely difficult to find remains outdoors, and most especially in the desert.

I do not consider anything the elderly husband has done, or not done, as suspicious.

I pray this lovely gal is brought home for a proper rest soon. God Bless her soul.

amateur opinion and speculation

I'm mad that this case appears to have gone cold. Not once has her significant other made a plea for her return, after the initial report was made. Nor has LE for that matter.

What is he doing these days? Simply moved on and living his best life?

Since the case seems to have slipped into a crevice. Is it a good time for someone to prompt a reporter to see if LE will release the 911 call? I think way back when, a member may have tried but was unsuccessful.

Okay, but let's consider the possibility that he was told by the police to do nothing. Under which circumstances might that be? Would the police do that if they knew a person voluntarily left (I don't think this happened)? Would they just leave it hanging with the public, but tell the spouse? Anyone know of a precedent for this?

Potential rationales:

(1) Don't mess up evidence

(2) Say they don't want suspect to, to suspect's face; then secretly tail suspect in order to see where they go after that

(3) Don't want you to find the body, as deemed too traumatic (OK, I grant this one is mostly for when people drag their underage kids on potentially horrifying searches; so maybe more like a 2.5).

...? That's it for me.

RT's Fam & BT's Fam? Cease & Desist?
My wild guess here.... the family is divided, hers vs. his. I can see a scenario where his side perhaps served a cease & desist to her side that resulted in crickets in this thread by the VI. (IMO)
@K9Enzo

Yes, agreeing the two different fam's probably have different interp's re the events. And imo, entiiirrrely possible RT or atty has casually, informally encouraged (maybe past that) orally or in writing, her fam to be silent.
Would a cease & desist
letter* actually silence her fam members from making public stmts, giving interviews, or posting on soc media, etc? Maybe, IDK.
C&D o
rder by a court? Which court, if any, would have personal jurisdiction*** over our VI living in HK/foreign country, to issue C&D order, assuming there were valid grounds?
Even w personal jurisdiction, any legal grounds/basis for a court to issue a C&D order?

If a fam member makes defamatory stmts about RT, and if a US court had personal jurisdiction over defendant, then yes, potentially a libel or slander lawsuit after the fact could (eventually) be successful, but imo, a C&D order before the fact = unlikely.
Sorry if I'm splitting hairs or atoms here, ^ jmo, could be wrong. Where, oh, where is BT?
Thanks for all your input on this thread, esp. re hiking & outdoor exposure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A cease-and-desist-letter is a cautionary letter sent to an alleged wrongdoer describing the alleged misconduct and demanding that the alleged misconduct be stopped. A cease-and-desist letter provides notice that legal action may and will be taken if the conduct in question continues. Such letters are usually written by attorneys and are often sent to stop alleged or actual infringement of intellectual property rights, such as copyrights, trademarks, and patents." bbm ubm ^ Cease and Desist Letter
** Cease and Desist Order
"An order of a court or government agency to a person, business, or organization to stop doing something. In order to obtain such an order, the plaintiff needs to make a strong showing that the activity is harmful to the plaintiff or contrary to law. Likely subjects a cease and desist order might, for example, include the felling of timber contrary to regulation or the selling of stock shares without a proper permit. The order may be permanent or hold until a final judicial determination is made."
^ Definition provided by Nolo’s Plain-English Law Dictionary.
*** Personal jurisdiction
"Personal jurisdiction refers to the power that a court has to make a decision regarding the party being sued in a case. Before a court can exercise power over a party, the U.S. Constitution requires that the party has certain minimum contacts with the forum in which the court sits....So if the plaintiff sues a defendant, that defendant can object to the suit by arguing that the court does not have personal jurisdiction over the defendant...."
^ Personal Jurisdiction Personal Jurisdiction

Last edited:
Coming up to a year now, and still nothing. Looks like this is going to be one of those cases where remains are found years later by chance. Wonder if someone has committed the perfect murder here, or was simply a case of her wandering off and falling into a crevice where she lay unnoticed. Still nothing to convince me personally she was ever in that particularly spot on that day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname