Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #14

Agreed.
And if she was taken by someone she'd be found far away, imo.
I just wish they'd found her during the initial search.
I wish all missing persons could be found in initial searches but it doesn't always happen.

I still remember a missing person case local to me, Linnea Lomax. After over two months of searching her mother was the one who found her badly decomposed remains. Sad.

My instinct is that she was found on the same side of the road as the RV, as I think the search concentrated more on the opposite side. One theory is that she did get back to the RV but couldn't find the key, and needing the loo, she went beyond and away from the road, ending up in a spot beyond the search parameters.

How long of hike did they take that morning?
I assume they had turned around, and were heading back to the rv when they split up.
Do we know how far from the rv they were when they separated?

Is it possible that she got off of the trail, found the road, and followed the road in the wrong direction? Or are we talking about smaller distances (like a few hundred feet) where it would be unlikely for her to miss the rv?

Also, so she was seen at the dog kennel that morning? I thought I read a while back that she had stayed in the vehicle that morning. I might have dreamt that.....

TIA

Last edited:
I assume they had turned around, and were heading back to the rv when they split up.

Is it possible that she got off of the trail, found the road, and followed the road in the wrong direction? Or are we talking about smaller distances (like a few hundred feet) where it would be unlikely for her to miss the rv?

Also, so she was seen at the dog kennel that morning? I thought I read a while back that she had stayed in the vehicle that morning. I might have dreamt that.....

TIA
I believe the kennel employee saw her that morning ?

TIA
She stayed in the truck when her husband went into the mini market to purchase ice. She brought the dog into the kennel herself.

Experienced Hikers?
The thing that bothers me the most is that they BOTH were experienced desert hikers so WHY would BT leave to go back on her own WITHOUT water. They both would know better....
@oceanstarryeyes sbm Yes, it's puzzling. Maybe -
1. Occasionally she had taken relatively short walks, say a mile or two, without water so she dismissed the risks this time?
2. Despite hiking experience she was accustomed to less severe heat?
3. RT stmt, about his still having X amt of water when they separated, was inaccurate?

It brings to mind a former Alaskan bush pilot saying: Up here, there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but no old and bold pilots. It takes only a single, small mistake by a bold pilot to involuntarily convert from flying w plane wings to angel wings.
Alaska is at opposite end of weather spectrum from AZ & SoCal desert, but in the 'wrong' weather at either place, sadly the Grim Reaper can quickly claim people making a small, one-time misstep. my2ct.

An employee at the mini mart. Yes, we discussed what the employee said further back on the thread, so going from memory...RT parked the RV across the road (not unusual, speaking from experience as an RV owner) and seemed to be in a hurry. He mentioned his wife staying in the truck, which seemed a little odd to mention. I think he bought a bag of ice.

You know, something like a cerebro vascular accident CVA or stroke) could well explain why she was found where she was and why she couldn't find her way back to the RV or respond appropriately in any fashion. Lack of brain tissue in desiccated remains would keep this cause of death impossible to diagnose. The victim, however, could well meet risk factors. I wonder if we'll ever know for certain. Seems unlikely.

If anyone's asking , they can quote the VI' statement which gives a window into what the employee thought about the encounter that day.
LE haven't said much since Barbara was found and we have little to go on; including where else they may have traveled that fateful day.
Another member here figured out the mileage from the convenience store to the hiking area which should have put them around 10 am at the rock formation where she vanished.
The 911 call came in around 3:45pm.
For such a hot day, that was a lengthy time for a hike.

Question : Did they spend any time inside the 5th wheel and did they drive somewhere else for a while and then return ?
Did anyone else drive by during that time and see the RV parked there ?
Did they meet up with another pair of hikers ?
Possible but unlikely as LE haven't divulged very much.

I did not say in my post what the employee actually said, just that their reaction was interesting, as people passing through such stores usually do not garner much attention at all.

The VI quoted this so it can be discussed.
There are still elements of this investigation that LE described as a criminal investigation but we don't know to whom LE are referring as they've still kept everything under cover.

It's good to know that LE are still proactive and the case is not officially closed.
Barbara's family needs answers !
Imo.

Last edited:
Thanks for linking this, @K9Enzo !!
I'm not sure exactly what he (the VI) said so that's why I didn't quote him.
Something stood out to the VI-- and to the employee, that day.
MOO

I just went back and read the entire discussion about what the convenience store employee said that day. To anyone who is NOT an RVer, RT’s comment (as recalled by the employee) and subsequent actions described by the employee sound very odd. Those of us with experience RVing did not view any of it as odd. The RVers seemed to prevail eventually but those members who were really suspicious of RT at the time still thought the whole thing was suspicious no matter what was said. I’m not going to recap it here so we don’t get into round two of that discussion. But there was really nothing to see there, especially now that Barb has been found close to where she was last seen by RT.

I just went back and read the entire discussion about what the convenience store employee said that day. To anyone who is NOT an RVer, RT’s comment (as recalled by the employee) and subsequent actions described by the employee sound very odd. Those of us with experience RVing did not view any of it as odd. The RVers seemed to prevail eventually but those members who were really suspicious of RT at the time still thought the whole thing was suspicious no matter what was said. I’m not going to recap it here so we don’t get into round two of that discussion. But there was really nothing to see there, especially now that Barb has been found close to where she was last seen by RT.
bbm
Agreed.
Now that she's been found, the VI who said that he heard LE had photos of Barbara on that last day of her life --has LE allowed him to see the photos ?
The VI mentioned photos but that he hadn't been shown them by LE.
The public doesn't need to know everything, but I'd think Barbara's family might want questions answered.
Just my .02.

There were many questions from the start that LE kept close to the vest; and may have had people scratching their heads and that's natural.
It's not that people were overly suspicious but LE never came out and said anyone was cleared, so there's that.

It'd be good to hear from LE how close she was found to the rock formation -- rather than from a family member -- as that would be official.
The same way we all rely on msm for an accurate report.

LE have not said where exactly she was and also why the searchers missed her when they used HRD dogs.
If, let's say, she was close as in a mile (& LE have not said she was that close), how did they miss her ?
I'm interested in what clothing was found with her as well as which shoes and did she have a drink container with her as described ?
So many questions.
But I believe LE know this.
So there's still hope that there'll be answers for Barbara's son and the VI (Barbara's nephew).
MOO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1