CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUL 22, 2019
Crews Suspend Daily Searches for 69-Year-Old Woman Who Vanished on Mojave Desert Hike
[...]

Although rescue crews have ceased daily searches, additional operations will be conducted when new information is learned in the investigation, authorities said.

On Sunday, rescuers ended their daily search early because of “extreme temperatures,” the Sheriff’s Department said.

No evidence of Barbara was located Sunday.

Rescuers have been using off-road vehicles, K-9 and aerial units and hikers to comb through the desert area, with temperatures routinely in the triple digits.

[...]

The investigation into her whereabouts is ongoing.

[...]
Thank you for this update! My stomach is sinking, because oh no, LE and SAR could not find BT anywhere around where RT said she went missing out there in the Mojave desert 10 days ago.

After 10 days of searching with every resource available in the worst conditions (heat in the desert).

ETA: LE has suspended 'daily' operations as they've been doing for the last 10 days, and will start again when / if they have more info. Hopefully it's just a matter of time, IMO.

Oh no... IMO

Last edited:
Family or Robert?
I suppose she was not hiking in her bikini with her cousin or niece, so it must have been Robert telling them she would routinely do this.
Has any other family member made a statement? I keep seeing references to “Family said.....” but have only seen what Robert said.

Has any other family member made a statement? I keep seeing references to “Family said.....” but have only seen what Robert said.
A family member posting here on WS is a verified insider (VI), and has posted about what BT's family has to say about their knowledge of the circumstances surrounding BT's disappearance (thus far, probably most of the references to what her family has said). Another family member is a new member here, and has also posted today, but is not a VI, AFAIK.

Hi all,

My wife and I spend several days camping in the area where Barbara went missing (I'm a bit of a desert rat, so did some 2.5 mile loops to search as well), and I chatted briefly with the Sheriff at their Incident Command post trailer as well as ran into some of the nice SAR folks Sunday morning who were at that time covering the eastern side of Kelbaker road, the least likely side BT would have gone as that was on the other side of Kelbaker road that they had hiked). I saw them search again east of the road with K9 units until yesterday morning (Sunday). They then suspended the search at the Kelbaker road location some time later that morning, leaving just the porta potties which were still there today. I confirmed on Saturday with the Sheriff the precise location where the Thompsons had parked their 5th Wheel, the same location they had set up. I'll try posting Google Earth pics and pics of the environment if anyone is interested. It was NOT 20 miles north of I40 like the reports says and like the speculation on this thread and all over social media goes, (the media everywhere repeated or regurgitated this over 10 days without fact checking). The location is 6.3 miles north of the I-40 in a large turnout that can accommodate a Dually and 5th Wheel. There is a nonmotorized trail directly opposite of that turnout that leads to the closest rock formations which contain lots of nooks and crannies which you can see were searched by the SARS folks. Folks in this thread (haven't been able to read all of it) are asking about cell service. My phone did not work west of Kelbaker road, and barely worked a little ways east of the turnout. So likely even if she did have a phone she would not have been able to call for help. The road generates a lot of noise (it seemed to average about a car every few minutes) and could easily be heard from half a mile away. The Incident Command Trailer was about as large as the trailer the Thompsons had and large enough to stick out over the mostly creosote vegetation, so you would have been able to see it with the naked eye from a mile away from most directions provided you got up on a bit higher ground, like a small hill side or rock. It is true that there are plenty of bends on the nonmotorized trail leading to the rock formations ("rounding a corner" is a figure of speech in this case) in the dirt road they allegedly took to get to the rock formations. There is a pole line dirt road that intersects it perpendicularly. So it would be fairly easy to lose sight of each other even within a few hundred feet behind the creosotes. The temps where in the 90's up there this weekend, due to the higher 3800 foot elevation. There are tons of places to seek shade there, gullies, rock formations, boulders with openings and cracks, pines and dense thickets. The search area was marked with flagging for several square miles. I've also included a map I drew of a plausible hike that is a round trip a little over a mile that goes to the nearest rock formation. It's possible they went to the next rock formation, but if you're hiking around noon time in the upper 90's and drinking dehydrating alcohol, I don't think you can do much more than 2 miles before calling it good.

Attachments

• 7-21-2019 10-11-21 AM.png
    7-21-2019 10-11-21 AM.png
    988 KB · Views: 2,398
  • 7-21-2019 5-07-58 PM.png
    7-21-2019 5-07-58 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,528
Hi all,

My wife and I spend several days camping in the area where Barbara went missing (I'm a bit of a desert rat, so did some 2.5 mile loops to search as well), and I chatted briefly with the Sheriff at their Incident Command post trailer as well as ran into some of the nice SAR folks Sunday morning who were at that time covering the eastern side of Kelbaker road, the least likely side BT would have gone as that was on the other side of Kelbaker road that they had hiked). I saw them search again east of the road with K9 units until yesterday morning (Sunday). They then suspended the search at the Kelbaker road location some time later that morning, leaving just the porta potties which were still there today. I confirmed on Saturday with the Sheriff the precise location where the Thompsons had parked their 5th Wheel, the same location they had set up. I'll try posting Google Earth pics and pics of the environment if anyone is interested. It was NOT 20 miles north of I40 like the reports says and like the speculation on this thread and all over social media goes, (the media everywhere repeated or regurgitated this over 10 days without fact checking). The location is 6.3 miles north of the I-40 in a large turnout that can accommodate a Dually and 5th Wheel. There is a nonmotorized trail directly opposite of that turnout that leads to the closest rock formations which contain lots of nooks and crannies which you can see were searched by the SARS folks. Folks in this thread (haven't been able to read all of it) are asking about cell service. My phone did not work west of Kelbaker road, and barely worked a little ways east of the turnout. So likely even if she did have a phone she would not have been able to call for help. The road generates a lot of noise (it seemed to average about a car every few minutes) and could easily be heard from half a mile away. The Incident Command Trailer was about as large as the trailer the Thompsons had and large enough to stick out over the mostly creosote vegetation, so you would have been able to see it with the naked eye from a mile away from most directions provided you got up on a bit higher ground, like a small hill side or rock. It is true that there are plenty of bends on the nonmotorized trail leading to the rock formations ("rounding a corner" is a figure of speech in this case) in the dirt road they allegedly took to get to the rock formations. There is a pole line dirt road that intersects it perpendicularly. So it would be fairly easy to lose sight of each other even within a few hundred feet behind the creosotes. The temps where in the 90's up there this weekend, due to the higher 3800 foot elevation. There are tons of places to seek shade there, gullies, rock formations, boulders with openings and cracks, pines and dense thickets. The search area was marked with flagging for several square miles. I've also included a map I drew of a plausible hike that is a round trip a little over a mile that goes to the nearest rock formation. It's possible they went to the next rock formation, but if you're hiking around noon time in the upper 90's and drinking dehydrating alcohol, I don't think you can do much more than 2 miles before calling it good.
Wow- thank you for this and the photos! Very helpful!

Welcome to Websleuth's!

Hi all,

Welcome to Websleuths, sroad! Very informative first post. Thanks so much for all the detail. I’m sure our VI, Barbara’s nephew, will be grateful.

So, do you think it’s possible Barbara is hidden among the rock formations after all that searching?

s&bbm
The road generates a lot of noise (it seemed to average about a car every few minutes) and could easily be heard from half a mile away.
The Incident Command Trailer was about as large as the trailer the Thompsons had and large enough to stick out over the mostly creosote vegetation, so you would have been able to see it with the naked eye from a mile away from most directions provided you got up on a bit higher ground

Thank you!
This is important information as is the rest of your post, but these two things stood out to me.

If RT was busy taking pictures, I can understand him not noticing BT's whereabouts for a few minutes, but Barbara would know that she was all of a sudden alone, and surely would go back for him.

If she wanted to get back to the camper in a hurry for some reason, wouldn't she tell him, so that he wouldn't be worried?

Why didn't they yell out to each other if they were momentarily separated?

^^I’ve seen this mentioned several times.
Keep in mind though, that she wasn’t lost or ‘gone’ at this stage when she rounds the corner. Per his account dating back to the first interview, they were meeting up back at the RV.

When he’s been interviewed, it’s said that they got out and stopped for a short hike and, on their way back, he was taking a picture and that BT walked ahead because, ‘She wanted to meet at the RV.’

Just mentioning that, because it’s not a matter of RT busy taking pictures and therefore not noticing his wife’s whereabouts — RT is well aware she’s walking ahead, going back to their RV, per his account, and wouldn’t be viewing her as ‘lost’ at this stage when he doesn’t see her.. she is simply walking ahead, he’s meeting her there, and he expects to find her there at the RV when he returns.

So lets say that the truck and trailer got dusty while out in the desert. If RT hosed off this dust when he got home does this show us that he is responsible for BT's disappearance?

I bet some will say that he should do nothing but look for Barbara and anything he does besides that means he's guilty of causing her to disappear.

I don't subscribe to that idea. He was probably told to let the professionals do the searching and to stay out of their way. Doing some chores around the house may be a way to keep busy while waiting for a hopefully good outcome to this case. JMO

Oh absolutely! I don’t think they live all that far away from there anyway, right? I mean, I probably wouldn’t leave but I know people who would, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. RT is an older guy, maybe he has a medical condition he takes medication for and didn’t bring enough for a longer stay. Who knows?
And this entire situation must be pretty surreal. I mean, most people don’t plan on being polygraphed (is that a word?) and told they’re a suspect in the disappearance of their spouse.
And media interviews? I couldn’t imagine looking into a camera that I knew was going to be broadcasting nation wide! I know I wouldn’t be making any sense out of sheer nervousness, And who knows how things get edited.
I just hope they find BT wherever she may be.

SBCSD Colorado River Station on Twitter
July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas http://nixle.us/B74XA
8:41 PM - 22 Jul 2019

July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
UPDATE - Monday, July 22, 2019

The ongoing daily searches for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave National Preserve have been suspended. Additional searches will be conducted as any additional information is developed in the investigation.

Detectives from the Specialized Investigations Division have assumed the investigation as is standard department policy when a missing person has not been located.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicholas Clark, Specialized Investigations Division (909) 387-3589. Callers wishing to remain anonymous are urged to contact the We-Tip Hotline at 1-800-78-CRIME (27463) or www.wetip.com.
I wondered upthread at what point SAR would end - wonder what is next?

Hi all,

My wife and I spend several days camping in the area where Barbara went missing (I'm a bit of a desert rat, so did some 2.5 mile loops to search as well), and I chatted briefly with the Sheriff at their Incident Command post trailer as well as ran into some of the nice SAR folks Sunday morning who were at that time covering the eastern side of Kelbaker road, the least likely side BT would have gone as that was on the other side of Kelbaker road that they had hiked). I saw them search again east of the road with K9 units until yesterday morning (Sunday). They then suspended the search at the Kelbaker road location some time later that morning, leaving just the porta potties which were still there today. I confirmed on Saturday with the Sheriff the precise location where the Thompsons had parked their 5th Wheel, the same location they had set up. I'll try posting Google Earth pics and pics of the environment if anyone is interested. It was NOT 20 miles north of I40 like the reports says and like the speculation on this thread and all over social media goes, (the media everywhere repeated or regurgitated this over 10 days without fact checking). The location is 6.3 miles north of the I-40 in a large turnout that can accommodate a Dually a TRUNCATED BY ME
Thank you for that description.

Now having been there, what's your take on the different scenarios?

1) she got lost
2) she got abducted
3) she was attacked by animals
4) she was never there in the first place

Thank you for that description.

Now having been there, what's your take on the different scenarios?

1) she got lost
2) she got abducted
3) she was attacked by animals
4) she was never there in the first place
Another possibility is
5) she was hurt by someone at that location and left/hidden there to look like she was lost and died of exposure

jmo

I think she would have been found by now if someone wanted her to be found.
Didn't say someone wanted her found. I think if she was hurt and left/hidden there, it was with the intention it would take a long time to find her or that she would never be found there (but it she was found, it would look like exposure instead of something else).

Not my first choice of possibilities, though.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member