CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My wife and I spend several days camping in the area where Barbara went missing (I'm a bit of a desert rat, so did some 2.5 mile loops to search as well), and I chatted briefly with the Sheriff at their Incident Command post trailer as well as ran into some of the nice SAR folks Sunday morning who were at that time covering the eastern side of Kelbaker road, the least likely side BT would have gone as that was on the other side of Kelbaker road that they had hiked). I saw them search again east of the road with K9 units until yesterday morning (Sunday). They then suspended the search at the Kelbaker road location some time later that morning, leaving just the porta potties which were still there today. I confirmed on Saturday with the Sheriff the precise location where the Thompsons had parked their 5th Wheel, the same location they had set up. I'll try posting Google Earth pics and pics of the environment if anyone is interested. It was NOT 20 miles north of I40 like the reports says and like the speculation on this thread and all over social media goes, (the media everywhere repeated or regurgitated this over 10 days without fact checking). The location is 6.3 miles north of the I-40 in a large turnout that can accommodate a Dually and 5th Wheel. There is a nonmotorized trail directly opposite of that turnout that leads to the closest rock formations which contain lots of nooks and crannies which you can see were searched by the SARS folks. Folks in this thread (haven't been able to read all of it) are asking about cell service. My phone did not work west of Kelbaker road, and barely worked a little ways east of the turnout. So likely even if she did have a phone she would not have been able to call for help. The road generates a lot of noise (it seemed to average about a car every few minutes) and could easily be heard from half a mile away. The Incident Command Trailer was about as large as the trailer the Thompsons had and large enough to stick out over the mostly creosote vegetation, so you would have been able to see it with the naked eye from a mile away from most directions provided you got up on a bit higher ground, like a small hill side or rock. It is true that there are plenty of bends on the nonmotorized trail leading to the rock formations ("rounding a corner" is a figure of speech in this case) in the dirt road they allegedly took to get to the rock formations. There is a pole line dirt road that intersects it perpendicularly. So it would be fairly easy to lose sight of each other even within a few hundred feet behind the creosotes. The temps where in the 90's up there this weekend, due to the higher 3800 foot elevation. There are tons of places to seek shade there, gullies, rock formations, boulders with openings and cracks, pines and dense thickets. The search area was marked with flagging for several square miles. I've also included a map I drew of a plausible hike that is a round trip a little over a mile that goes to the nearest rock formation. It's possible they went to the next rock formation, but if you're hiking around noon time in the upper 90's and drinking dehydrating alcohol, I don't think you can do much more than 2 miles before calling it good.
Thank you so much for taking the road trip out there and then reporting back to us. We are all very grateful for and fortunate to have the perspective from you and the other locals on the board. I especially thank you for reporting on the amount of cars driving down that road.

Yesterday, I read a news story about a young man who fell in an 18" space behind a freezer at his place of employment, a grocery store. They just found his body yesterday, after 10 years. Because of that, I started wondering if maybe BT fell into a small crack in a rock formation. She was/is a thin woman. But why wouldn't she wait for RT if she decided to do some rock climbing?

I don't think that she got lost. She was supposedly on a trail and headed back to the RV - unless she changed course. She was out in the desert in scorching heat and had already walked a mile out; I see her heading back to the RV rather than wandering off in another direction.

I always come back to the fact that despite a massive search effort in a relatively small search area with people, dogs, and air support, she hasn't been found. I just hope LE has an idea of where to look next.

MOO

Thank you so much for taking the road trip out there and then reporting back to us. We are all very grateful and fortunate for the perspective from you and the other locals on the board. I especially thank you for reporting on the amount of cars driving down that road.

Yesterday, I read a news story about a young man who fell in an 18" space behind a freezer at his place of employment, a grocery store. They just found his body yesterday, after 10 years. Because of that, I started wondering if maybe BT fell into a small crack in a rock formation. She was/is a thin woman. But why wouldn't she wait for RT if she decided to do some rock climbing?

I don't think that she got lost. She was supposedly on a trail and headed back to the RV - unless she changed course. She was out in the desert in scorching heat and had already walked a mile out; I see her heading back to the RV rather than wandering off in another direction.

I always come back to the fact that despite a massive search effort in a relatively small search area with people, dogs, and air support, she hasn't been found. I just hope LE has an idea of where to look next.

MOO
I think it's entirely possible to fall in a crevice and cannot be seen. She was wearing a red cap, IIRC, and was carrying a beer mug - and I keep thinking that those items would be found - maybe they were discarded in a heat stroke stuper or fell off in a fall - or she could throw the items toward a path so someone would find her (but I also know the heat can muddle thinking so can't count on her thinking of displaying a signal).

So frustrating when someone is out there and can't be found.

jmo

^^I’ve seen this mentioned several times.
Keep in mind though, that she wasn’t lost or ‘gone’ at this stage when she rounds the corner. Per his account dating back to the first interview, they were meeting up back at the RV.

When he’s been interviewed, it’s said that they got out and stopped for a short hike and, on their way back, he was taking a picture and that BT walked ahead because, ‘She wanted to meet at the RV.’

Just mentioning that, because it’s not a matter of RT busy taking pictures and therefore not noticing his wife’s whereabouts — RT is well aware she’s walking ahead, going back to their RV, per his account, and wouldn’t be viewing her as ‘lost’ at this stage when he doesn’t see her.. she is simply walking ahead, he’s meeting her there, and he expects to find her there at the RV when he returns.
You are right. She was headed in the right direction and nothing being wrong registered with him.
I still think if a car or truck pulled up there would be some sounds! They weren't in a metropolitan area they were in the desert.
Somethings just not right. Surely she would drop whatever was in her hand and they would find that!

Knowing that the VI thinks she didn't have a phone on her, it seems like that fact would make it more likely the two would stay together on the trail, just as a precaution.

Which makes me wonder what specifically was her reason for going on ahead without him (ostensibly). If that story is true, it seems like it must be a pretty compelling reason (illness, overheating, urgent bathroom need, argument etc) which might then provide some clue about what went wrong from that point.

Not that it probably matters, since they are looking all over the area for her. It's just so baffling.

Knowing that the VI thinks she didn't have a phone on her, it seems like that fact would make it more likely the two would stay together on the trail, just as a precaution.

Which makes me wonder what specifically was her reason for going on ahead without him (ostensibly). If that story is true, it seems like it must be a pretty compelling reason (illness, overheating, urgent bathroom need, argument etc) which might then provide some clue about what went wrong from that point.

Not that it probably matters, since they are looking all over the area for her. It's just so baffling.
I've been thinking that she went ahead of him because she was hot under the mid-day sun. The heat wouldn't feel good, imo, on bare skin for too long.

jmo

Family or Robert?
I suppose she was not hiking in her bikini with her cousin or niece, so it must have been Robert telling them she would routinely do this.
For example, day trip on Colorado River. Bikini top and shorts to walk into the desert. With my family.

Personally don't see it as weird. You could argue it's different because they were on the river in my example, but it isn't like either of them went swimming when I was with them on the river. I did and they were stunned because it was damned cold in that water.

@sroad , thank you so much for your most informative and detailed post and photos! Am I correct in thinking that the non-motorized trail is quite obvious to the eye, and not difficult to follow? Does it seem easy for someone to lose the trail?

It’s especially interesting to me that you could hear a car for a half-mile or so, and see so far by getting up on a rise or rock.

It's possible (because I could see myself doing this) she did not want to wait for him to take his pictures and sight see. She wanted to walk ahead and do her own thing. Perhaps she keeps a pace faster than him and was a little impatient.

I also think you make good points on reasons she may of went ahead.

Hi all,

My wife and I spend several days camping in the area where Barbara went missing (I'm a bit of a desert rat, so did some 2.5 mile loops to search as well), and I chatted briefly with the Sheriff at their Incident Command post trailer as well as ran into some of the nice SAR folks Sunday morning who were at that time covering the eastern side of Kelbaker road, the least likely side BT would have gone as that was on the other side of Kelbaker road that they had hiked). I saw them search again east of the road with K9 units until yesterday morning (Sunday). They then suspended the search at the Kelbaker road location some time later that morning, leaving just the porta potties which were still there today. I confirmed on Saturday with the Sheriff the precise location where the Thompsons had parked their 5th Wheel, the same location they had set up. I'll try posting Google Earth pics and pics of the environment if anyone is interested. It was NOT 20 miles north of I40 like the reports says and like the speculation on this thread and all over social media goes, (the media everywhere repeated or regurgitated this over 10 days without fact checking). The location is 6.3 miles north of the I-40 in a large turnout that can accommodate a Dually and 5th Wheel. There is a nonmotorized trail directly opposite of that turnout that leads to the closest rock formations which contain lots of nooks and crannies which you can see were searched by the SARS folks. Folks in this thread (haven't been able to read all of it) are asking about cell service. My phone did not work west of Kelbaker road, and barely worked a little ways east of the turnout. So likely even if she did have a phone she would not have been able to call for help. The road generates a lot of noise (it seemed to average about a car every few minutes) and could easily be heard from half a mile away. The Incident Command Trailer was about as large as the trailer the Thompsons had and large enough to stick out over the mostly creosote vegetation, so you would have been able to see it with the naked eye from a mile away from most directions provided you got up on a bit higher ground, like a small hill side or rock. It is true that there are plenty of bends on the nonmotorized trail leading to the rock formations ("rounding a corner" is a figure of speech in this case) in the dirt road they allegedly took to get to the rock formations. There is a pole line dirt road that intersects it perpendicularly. So it would be fairly easy to lose sight of each other even within a few hundred feet behind the creosotes. The temps where in the 90's up there this weekend, due to the higher 3800 foot elevation. There are tons of places to seek shade there, gullies, rock formations, boulders with openings and cracks, pines and dense thickets. The search area was marked with flagging for several square miles. I've also included a map I drew of a plausible hike that is a round trip a little over a mile that goes to the nearest rock formation. It's possible they went to the next rock formation, but if you're hiking around noon time in the upper 90's and drinking dehydrating alcohol, I don't think you can do much more than 2 miles before calling it good.

Welcome!
Can you make an estimation of how far a scream would carry in that area? TIA

I've rewatched his interview where he's standing next to the rv, and I believe he said she went ahead to USE the rv. Sounds like potty to me. MOO

So is it possible she used the potty, locked up again, replaced the key under the rock, and went looking for him when she disappeared?

I've rewatched his interview where he's standing next to the rv, and I believe he said she went ahead to USE the rv. Sounds like potty to me. MOO

So is it possible she used the potty, locked up again, replaced the key under the rock, and went looking for him when she disappeared?

Or she used the restroom and went off in another direction looking at some more rocks "just for a minute" and got lost.

Usually by the time people realize that they are getting lost, they are already lost and have been for a while.

@sroad
Hi all,

Thank you so much for this. I haven't been able to really picture the location and understand the surrounding landscape but I feel like I was dropped right down in BT's and RT's alleged footsteps. In my mind I can see it, feel it and hear it. If a vehicle went through every few minutes and they had been out there for over an hour when they separated, then I think the sound of a vehicle going through wouldn't have stood out to RT. I don't necessarily think an abduction happened and I know LE doesn't either but some here have suggested he should've noticed hearing a vehicle stop after Barb went around a corner.

In your opinion after searching some of the area yourself, do you think it's possible BT is still in the searched area but wasn't found?

Or she used the restroom and went off in another direction looking at some more rocks "just for a minute" and got lost.

Usually by the time people realize that they are getting lost, they are already lost and have been for a while.

And if that was the case, did she refill her beer with a cold one? Wonder if RT checked to see if more beer was gone.

For example, day trip on Colorado River. Bikini top and shorts to walk into the desert. With my family.

Personally don't see it as weird. You could argue it's different because they were on the river in my example, but it isn't like either of them went swimming when I was with them on the river. I did and they were stunned because it was damned cold in that water.
What do you think about LE stating she was NOT kidnapped?
Are you aware of the reasons they came to this conclusion?

What do you think about LE stating she was NOT kidnapped?

I don't think the police have stated that she was NOT kidnapped.

There is a Daily Mail article - which I don't think of as a reliable news source, considering how they are getting distances so wrong in the BC cases - where they say they don't think she was abducted, and that there is no evidence that she was abducted. But that does not mean that she was not abducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood