CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here that understands police lingo better than me know what they mean when they say they suspect no foul play? I’d taken it to mean they didn’t believe a murder or abduction had occurred. Am I wrong and do they say this to keep investigating suspects?
Another poster mentioned that, according to the Sheriff’s office, the investigation is ongoing. My take as to the ‘no foul play’ is that law enforcement found no indication of foul play at the areas where they searched for her on the desert.

.First we hear black bikini, then we hear she has boots, socks and a red hat, And last but not least we hear beer.

I'm so confused.

Well, if you read this thread, and the preceding threads, it becomes clear that many people think that beer and bikinis are compatible with desert hiking, and that evidently Barbara was one of them.

Last edited:
Another poster mentioned that, according to the Sheriff’s office, the investigation is ongoing. My take as to the ‘no foul play’ is that law enforcement found no indication of foul play at the areas where they searched for her on the desert.
Well, how could they find evidence of any foul play if she was never there? They have no evidence of her being there. jmo

<modsnip - quoted post is from FB>
Maybe her bikini top was under her t-shirt and she took the t-shirt off when she went on the hike to stay cool and get some sun? I don't find it a stretch to think Barbara would wear a bikini top walking around. She was a very fit, middle aged woman, why not?

I do wonder if LE has time stamped pictures of her from that morning proving she was indeed out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, how could they find evidence of any foul play if she was never there? They have no evidence of her being there. jmo
When they said there was no evidence of her, that was in the context of the search. As far as I'm aware, we still don't know if they have seen any photos of Barbara taken that day. I'm still not sure if the one of her in a red cap is from that day. It looks as though it might be an old photo, but it might just have been cropped out of one that was focused on the landscape and not on her, which is why it's blurry.

I did ask @dbdb11 earlier if Robert usually takes photos of people on these trips. Should we expect there to be photos of Barbara? Or is he a purist who just concentrates on photographing the landscape?

When they said there was no evidence of her, that was in the context of the search. As far as I'm aware, we still don't know if they have seen any photos of Barbara taken that day. I'm still not sure if the one of her in a red cap is from that day. It looks as though it might be an old photo, but it might just have been cropped out of one that was focused on the landscape and not on her, which is why it's blurry.

I did ask @dbdb11 earlier if Robert usually took photos of people on these trips. Should we expect there to be photos of Barbara? Or is he a purist who just concentrates on photographing the landscape?
Hah, I think we were thinking the same things at the exact same time. ;)

What are the odds an unscrupulous someone would be driving through a remote desert location when a bikini-clad beer-drinking person would be crossing the very road on which they're traveling? Oh boy, their lucky day, right?

Apparently, LE does not believe that scenario occurred. That doesn't mean it did not occur but, who knows? I do not believe in that sort of 'luck' for a perp. What I could believe is if an unscrupulous someone had followed the couple, either via a long-term plan (days, weeks or months previous) or even via a plan that was hatched during a chance encounter with the couple earlier that day during their travels.

Who told him he didn't pass the polygraph? Wasn't it LE?

Can LE lie to suspects?

According to the husband, LE told him he was being deceptive during his polygraph. The husband did not say to which questions. Not sure if he even knows. LE has not made any statements regarding his polygraph. Husband disclosed this info on his own.

IMO, LE can tell a person they were being deceptive, when they weren’t. It’s a tactic. I don’t believe they routinely do this. IMO, it’s no different than LE telling two suspects the other ratted them out, when in fact they didn’t. <modsnip - confusing comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were in RT’s shoes, the plane tix would be the last thing on my mind.
I don’t like the idea of assuming guilt based on what someone did or didn’t do, we don’t really know what we would do in this situation nor can we safely assume what a completely different person would do. If I had to guess, I’d call and cancel the air and hotel because I’m super type A and would need to keep busy and dot my i’s and cross my t’s. This isn’t a knock at you, just a general observations.
MOO IMO

If someone reports their spouse missing you would think LE would want to check in with any family members or friends to see if they heard from them. If someone is leaving a spouse they might go to family. I don't know if leaving from the desert when you are only separated for minutes from your spouse would be the best way to escape them.
Agree. I was thinking more like, if she had become lost and someone happened to come along and find/rescue her while RT was busybwith the police.

Who told him he didn't pass the polygraph? Wasn't it LE?

Can LE lie to suspects?

Yes, LE is allowed to lie to suspects, and my impression is that lying about polygraph results is one of the things they sometimes do. A logical place to do it would be where the story is strange—and I think we all realize that the story is strange—no, not the beer and bikini aspect, but the way that she disappeared in such a tight timeframe.

I really think we should stick to the only phrasing we’ve heard: “showed deception.” When we start inventing our own terminology, “failed,” “flunked,” “didn’t pass,” I think we risk going astray. A polygraph has multiple questions on it. You ‘show deception,’ on individual questions, you don’t ‘flunk’ We have no idea what the question or questions were that he supposedly showed deception on.

MOO

Last edited:
I asked people I knew if they had heard of the story, from all walks of life, from this area, not one had. I have lived here for over 30 years. I walk 3 miles a day, but I start early and it takes about 45 minutes. They may have been avid hikers, but not here in July.

Are there flyers of missing BT posted anywhere? Gas stations, markets, rest stops?
I don't recall seeing an official missing flyer or poster. Wonder why. JMO

we wondered this before as well.

if there was no photo of barb there that day, would they spend all the resources searching? my own question. i am assuming there is photographic evidence
Yes. MOO
First we hear black bikini, then we hear she has boots, socks and a red hat, And last but not least we hear beer.

I'm so confused.
Since July 12, LE has described her clothing as follows:

Barbara was last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks. July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

We learned about the beer a few days later when RT gave his first interview.
Woman Goes Missing Without Supplies in Mojave Desert Amid High Temperatures
I don't associate walking or hiking in the desert with beer. Or a bikini for that matter.
Our VI has told us this is the norm for Barbara. See BBM in the post below.
Thank you to everyone on here hoping, helping and sharing info.

I am Barbara's nephew, and though i don't have much to add to what you guys have gathered i can share that Barb and Robbie were regular and avid campers. besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river. They are both outdoorsy people, and regularly traversed the desert. she collected rocks for their rock garden and was fond of gnarly wood pieces. they both also liked bottle hunting and finding leftover prospector knickknacks, flints etc. lots of interesting items they'd found and collected from their desert walks...

i went on the river with them once, and they also took our family out in the desert when we were kids, maybe fifteen years back. I can confirm they're from Bullhead, though they often spend summers in Canada, where I believe Robbie's family live. They were all about the desert, and I'm not sure they would have even been in an actual campground or official campsite. They spent time outdoors like that all the time. And bikini, beer and hiking boots is accurate. That's her style.

I'm shocked Robbie would have let her get ahead of him, but just indicates to me how well they both must have known the area. I heard from my father (Barbara's brother) that after failing to find her at the RV Rob began searching the area, including a nearby cave they both knew about, incase she'd gone there to escape the heat. So this is a place they camped and explored regularly... All my info is coming second and even third hand, or from the same news sources you guys are seeing. I've actually just learned about this today, as I'm travelling at the moment.

My father's health is failing and Barbara was literally flying to visit us in Hong Kong next week. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but understandably my father was not immediately notified of the severity of the situation, as his own situation is dire. When Robbie finally contacted my family in HK to share this devastating news, my father's wife and my sister report the story he told was almost unbelievable. Robbie also reported he'd been detained for most of a day as a suspect.

Just last week I received voice messages from Barb concerning my father's condition and whether or not she should push her trip forward. I've had trouble contacting her, but this was no surprise to us as her and Robbie are often comfortably beyond cellphone service. I am not the most easy to reach either, so our calls kept missing...

I am grateful this community has jumped on this, and frankly am still in shock. Feeling a bit helpless and can only hope and pray.

I've not been a very active part of Barb or Robbies lives these past decades, or I would have more details to share, but I can say these two were no strangers to the rocky hills around Arizona/Nevada. They were seasoned enough to feel casual in the hills and the heat, and the news reports I've read aren't making it sound that way.

Thank you all again for your concern and your efforts to dig into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member