Identified! CA - Benicia, WhtFem, 30-45, torso and legs, Sept’79 - Dolores Wulff

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
Unidentified Person
NamUs #UP15567
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Body Found September 17, 1979
Location Found Benicia, Solano County, California

Sex: Female
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult
Estimated Age Range (Years): 30-45
Estimated Year of Death: 1979
Estimated PMI: 4 Weeks
Estimated Height: 5' 6"(66 inches)
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Hair Color: --
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: Black/dark brown pubic hair
Eye Color: --

Other distinctive physical characteristic: Average to muscular build

Clothing: Floral print bikini panties, pantyhose (On the Body)
Footwear: Open-toed black leather shoe on left foot with 2" artificial woodgrain heel (On the Body)

Inventory of Remains:
Head not recovered One or more limbs not recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Circumstances of Recovery: A lower female torso and legs were found in the Carquinez Strait near E. 5th Street in Benicia.

Investigating Agencies
- Benicia Police Department
Kenny Hart, Detective Sergeant
200 East L St Benicia, California 94510
(707) 746-3411
Agency Case Number: 20-1132

- Brynne Caputo, Medicolegal Death Investigator
(707) 784-7019
ME/C Case Number: 979-527-CCI-276

- Solano County Sheriff's Office
530 Union Ave #100 Fairfield, California 94533
(707) 784-7000
Solano County - Sheriff-Coroner

Benicia police solves identity of torso found in 1979 through DNA match

wulff___22185437717.jpg

Benicia Police Department announced on Thursday that they have positively identified a torso that washed up on the shoreline 41 years ago.

Police say the case reopened in July this year when the Doe Network contacted Solano County Coroner’s Office and suggested a body found in 1979 might have been matched with an identity. Detectives determined that was not the case, and that the identity was not related to the torso.

However, a persistent sergeant expanded the search of missing women from 1979 from the areas of Sacramento to San Francisco.

Based on Benicia detective Sgt. Kenneth Hart’s findings, 11 results returned similar, but one stood out in the case of Dolores Wulff.

Wulff went missing on the night of July 31, 1979 from her home in Woodland in Yolo County. At the time, her husband was considered a suspect and arrested, but ultimately the case was dismissed for a lack of evidence. Her husband died in 2005.
---
Investigators, with cooperation from Solano County Sheriff’s Office, determined the DNA was a match with the exhumed body found in 1979.

Confirmation came from the Department of Justice’s DNA lab this week that the femur bone from the partial recovered body was in fact that of Dolores Wulff’s.

Benicia police solves identity of torso found in 1979 through DNA match
Body Found In 1979 Identified As Missing Woman: Benicia Police

Rest in peace Dolores. Never forgotten and finally identified.

Attachments

• dolores-wullf-1603427590.jpg
    dolores-wullf-1603427590.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 16
  • dolores_wulff_1.jpg
    dolores_wulff_1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 17
  • wulffmom16_12-16-2007_8IC9BL4.jpg
    wulffmom16_12-16-2007_8IC9BL4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 15
From what I've read in articles, alot of effort was put into finding Mrs. Wulff by law enforcement and by her family. She was finally identified and I imagine that helps the family somewhat, and although the murderer wasn't convicted, they certainly all tried to bring him to justice. Condolences to all her loved ones.

Yes, these same remains have been identifed as Dolores. I am not sure if the member did send it in or not but still good to see someone have seen a match and even suggested it here prior to LE identification.
No, I did not submit it to LE. I'm sure if I did her family would've had closure sooner. Apologies on my part.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back