Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legally they had to if they didn't have enough evidence to charge him with a hate crime or other special circumstances. They could have set it for higher though.

Here's a good article. Includes some statements from Sam's lawyer.

https://mynewsla.com/orange-county/...nies-murdering-upenn-student-blaze-bernstein/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Defense lawyer Munoz is quoted as saying that suggestions that SW belonged to White Supremacist groups was merely 'white noise'. It sounds like he might try to cast doubt on the material already dug up online. One hopes that with FBI assistance, the prosecution can collect enough ironclad evidence.

I think its important to realize here that his use of the term "White Noise" isn't a denial that SW was/is a member of Atomwaffen Division ... in fact it seems to me its a confirmation..I'm shocked that Munoz commented at all on it. And his choice of words i.e. white noise to discribe his clients involvment in a white supremacist group is ironic...

Here are notes someone took from Michele Giles CBS2 live broadcast after the arraignment

Notes from Michele Gile's broadcast:

"Sam woodward cleaned his car inside and out after blaze disappeared He changed his appearance and tried to lose detectives who were following him

Found knives in his car and newport beach home

Defense attorney says "My client is a 20 year old who lives in orange county with his parents, he is financially dependent on them, has no criminal history"
High bail to protect the public

They say "5 million is a good start”

Statement from Bernsteins: “It gives us some measure of comfort to know that, should he be released, he will not be able to come near our family. Nevertheless, we are still concerned for the public’s safety”

Judge received more than 100 letters before the arraignment today

Still waiting to see if Sam’s parents will post

Here are notes someone took from Michele Giles CBS2 live broadcast after the arraignment

Notes from Michele Gile's broadcast:

"Judge received more than 100 letters before the arraignment today"

Can someone explain this to me please? 100 letters from whom? members of the public, witnesses providing evidence/ anecdotes on the murder suspect's past, people volunteering to be part of the jury?

I am confused. I have never heard such thing in cases in my home country.

It's really bothering me that many articles are inferring that SW stabbed Blaze 20 times because Blaze tried to kiss him. As if it's okay to murder him because of an unwanted advance. Is it me?

It's really bothering me that many articles are inferring that SW stabbed Blaze 20 times because Blaze tried to kiss him. As if it's okay to murder him because of an unwanted advance. Is it me?

It's not you. It's really not cool to frame it that way. And women who killed their rapists usually go to prison. It's never an excuse for murder.

Can someone explain this to me please? 100 letters from whom? members of the public, witnesses providing evidence/ anecdotes on the murder suspect's past, people volunteering to be part of the jury?

It was neighbors and people who lived in the area. Saying the did not think they would be safe if he was out. I saw neighbors asking neighbors to write the letters and providing the address on Facebook.

I noticed someone had posted in the fb group that they had written the Judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“After the hearing, Munoz criticized what he called an effort by the Orange County District Attorney’s Office to publicize the case, saying it could make it difficult to pick a jury.

“It seems like he wants to try this in a different county,” Munoz said of Rackauckas, who held a news conference about the case Friday morning before the arraignment.”

Well, now we know the defense will asked for the trial to be moved.

“At that news conference, Rackauckas said prosecutors realized they could not attach a special-circumstance allegation to the murder charge against Woodward because the law does not authorize the move in a case when a victim is targeted because they are female or gay. A special-circumstance allegation opens a defendant to a sentence of death or life in prison without the chance of parole.

Rackauckas called it a “glaring omission,” noting that the law does allow for capital punishment for killers motivated by race or religion. Rackauckas said it appeared to him lawmakers “intentionally left out” other protected classes such as gays and women.”

Then....

“Sen. John Moorlach, R-Costa Mesa, whose district includes Lake Forest was not immediately available for comment, but Rackauckas' chief of staff, Susan Schroeder, said her office doubted he would support a change in the law.”

Doubts he would support a change in the law that CLEARLY needs to be changed?!

I think its important to realize here that his use of the term "White Noise" isn't a denial that SW was/is a member of Atomwaffen Division ... in fact it seems to me its a confirmation..I'm shocked that Munoz commented at all on it. And his choice of words i.e. white noise to discribe his clients involvment in a white supremacist group is ironic...

Totally agree with everything you said.

Michele Gile just posted on her Facebook that he is still in jail. Might take the family some time to come up with that much, or it might be impossible. I would guess both are taking a hit career wise. JMO

Indeed, it threw me for a loop as well. Very poor choice of words in this context, so I didn't know how to interpret it. There is another common phrase "in the noise", as in for example, "Joe thought his contributions were important, but in the larger scheme of things, they were just buried in the noise". I wonder if Munoz meant it that way, as if to play it down.

Either way, it's an ugly statement.

With the possibility of SW being involved with neo-nazi groups, wondering if federal law could apply if a hate crime is suspected? Since CA law doesn't include a special circumstance for sexual orientation or gender identity, maybe the DA should turn the case over to the FBI to investigate and assume jurisdiction. The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 may apply. This federal Act includes hate crimes associated with sexual orientation and gender identity unlike the CA law.

Snip

Traditionally, FBI investigations of hate crimes were limited to crimes in which the perpetrators acted based on a bias against the victim’s race, color, religion, or national origin. In addition, investigations were restricted to those wherein the victim was engaged in a federally protected activity. With the passage of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, the Bureau became authorized to investigate these crimes without this prohibition. This landmark legislation also expanded the role of the FBI to allow for the investigation of hate crimes committed against those based on biases of actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or gender.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/civil-rights/hate-crimes

Department of Justice - Hate Crime Laws

Snip

Before the Civil Rights Division prosecutes a hate crime, the Attorney General or someone the Attorney General designates must certify, in writing, that (1) the state does not have jurisdiction; (2) the state has requested that the federal government assume jurisdiction; (3) the verdict or sentence obtained pursuant to state charges did not demonstratively vindicate the federal interest in eradicating bias-motivated violence; or (4) a prosecution by the United States is in the public interest and necessary to secure substantial justice. In the seven years since the passage of the Shepard-Byrd Act, the Justice Department has charged 72 defendants and convicted 45 defendants under this statute. In total, as of July 15, 2016, the department has charged 258 defendants for hate crimes under multiple statutes over the last seven years.

https://www.justice.gov/crt/hate-crime-laws

They could. The prospects are extremely slim that they would get involved under the current Attorney General and Administration.

Here is a video with a better look at SW during the hearing... also I am finding SW mother's grinning/ smiling as she is walking out of court w his dad and brother creepy/ not very appropriate for the gravity of her son stabbing another 20 times ... but maybe that's just me...

https://www.google.com/amp/losangel.../02/blaze-bernstein-murder-suspect-court/amp/

The clip of his parents is from the first court appearance, they are heading in and being asked if they have anything to say. She's trying to be polite i think. That's not his brother either. His brother still has his Facebook up, looks like his dad and tall.

Here is a video with a better look at SW during the hearing... also I am finding SW mother's grinning/ smiling as she is walking out of court w his dad and brother creepy/ not very appropriate for the gravity of her son stabbing another 20 times ... but maybe that's just me...

https://www.google.com/amp/losangel.../02/blaze-bernstein-murder-suspect-court/amp/

She’s just trying to be nice to the press without saying anything. If she were stone faced or gave them dirty looks we’d be saying she’s cold. It’s a lose lose situation.

I live in OC and my 25 year old son lives about 10 minutes away from SW. My son has many gay friends including one of his 5 roommates. They are scared to death this guy will most likely be bailed out and fear for their safety since he's already murdered once gets easier the second time.

This will turn into a circus just like Casey Anthony case. She was in and out of jail. I'm sure Munoz is doing this pro bono for the recognition. I wouldn't be surprised if he helps put up the funds for bail just like Baez did for Casey Anthony to show he believes in his innocence.

I'm sure his attorney will advise SW hair grow out to his natural blonde hair color and get him a nice preppie male haircut to look like a nice 20 year old devout Catholic boy who attends church regularly. You can bet he will be at church regularly once bailed out for show. There will be plenty of time to clean him up because if he doesn't take a plea deal this will not go to trial for a min of 5 years. High profile cases in CA takes years to go to trial. If SW out on bail this will be prolonged by his attorney even longer. I'm a trial watcher here in the OC since I'm local.

Ok, couple of things are clear now. The curfew if bailed is 10:30 to 5:00 am. They found DNA evidence at the scene and in his car. So the killing was not in the car. I'm sure there would have been far too much blood to clean up if it was in the car.

The scene was at the park if you ask me.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-woodward-bernstein-arraignment-20180203-story.html

DA said SW cleaned car thoroughly in and out after the murder. So who knows. Is it easier to clean blood off leather seats than cloth? I'm still curious about the rental car.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/blaze-bernstein-murder-suspect-court/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member