GUILTY CA - Boat fire near Santa Cruz Island; 34 missing, Sept 2019 *captain charged*

From what I'm reading about dive boats, it should be very clear who was on the boat. They keep good records because the crew needs to keep track of divers in the water and make sure all divers who go in the water come back out of the water. So it won't be a guessing game on who was registered with the company to take the trip.

Source of my info: wikipedia link posted upthread
Except in the movie "Open Water" which is based on a true story of 2 divers left behind at the Great Barrier Reef due to inaccurate headcount. (The movie is set in the Bahamas.)

In this case though, everyone was onboard, so you're right. There should be a log with correct number of passenger and their names. Would that log be onboard though and burned also? Must be a copy back in Santa Barbara for record keeping.

Being a dive boat with unlimited O2 refill, the theory stated above is definitely possible, that the oxygen may have played a part.

Does anyone know if boats like this have smoke detectors? It seems there would be and if so the alarms would have gone off. I think you could be right about it being an explosion. How awful, all those people. :(
Good point about the smoke detectors. I would assume any commercial boat that carries any passengers, but especially overnight passengers would have to have fire detectors and alarms. I just keep thinking about oxygen tanks on board - but I would think they would be stored on deck, not below near the sleeping bunks??

jmo

[URL="https://twitter.com/EliasonMike/status/1168571507070525441"]SBCFireInfo on Twitter[/URL]
#Coast Incident- The 75’ vessel Conception is shown returning to Santa Barbara Harbor in this January 12, 2019 photo with a rainbow from a winter storm as seen from Shoreline Park in Santa Barbara. The vessel caught fire and sank early 9/2 with 38 on board. 5 have been rescued.
EDeZlxaU8AAO_4u.jpg

EDeZlxWU4AAc8cm.jpg

10:08 AM - 2 Sep 2019

[URL="https://twitter.com/EliasonMike/status/1168577084651790336"]SBCFireInfo on Twitter[/URL]
#Coast Inc- UPDATE- Earlier number from USCG has been corrected. There were 39 on board the vessel Conception. Five were rescued, 34 are missing. (This corrects an earlier number of 33 missing)
10:31 AM - 2 Sep 2019

[URL="https://twitter.com/EliasonMike/status/1168580630738657281"]SBCFireInfo on Twitter[/URL]
#Coast Inc- UPDATE- Family Assistance Center is being established at Earl Warren Showgrounds, 3400 Calle Real, Santa Barbara. Information- SB County OEM 805-696-1188
10:45 AM - 2 Sep 2019

I read in one report the cook on board would have been up at 4:00 a.m. starting breakfast for the passengers. I think it was stated by his brother who was waiting to hear if he had made it safely off the boat.
I wonder if the fire could have started in the kitchen and how far that would be from the oxygen tanks.

4 bodies recovered after boat fire near Santa Cruz Island, dozens remain missing
[...]

A Coast Guard spokesman told the Associated Press that four bodies were recovered from the water and search crews are continuing to look for survivors or additional bodies.

The United States Coast Guard and Ventura County Fire Department responded to the fire. The fire broke out aboard the boat, which sank about 20 yards off shore in 64 feet of water on the north side of the island, near Platt's Harbor.

[...]

Five people were rescued from the boat aboard a Good Samaritan boat "The Grape Escape". CNN reported that four crew members were rescued and the ship's captain remained at the site of the boat fire. The Coast Guard reported one minor injury among that group.

[...]

The owner of the 75-foot "Conception" arrived to brief Coast Guard officials at the Channel Islands Harbor. "Conception" was licensed and approved to be in the area, according to the National Parks Service.

The owner, Glen Fritzler, was not able to provide many details as he arrived at the Coast Guard facility Monday morning. His boat is well-known among members of the Santa Barbara harbor community. Fritzler has cooperated with the investigation, according to the Coast Guard.

'Conception' is operated by Truth Aquatics. The boat may have been rented by a Santa Cruz-based group of divers.

[...]

(Video of the press briefing in the article)

I read in one report the cook on board would have been up at 4:00 a.m. starting breakfast for the passengers. I think it was stated by his brother who was waiting to hear if he had made it safely off the boat.
I wonder if the fire could have started in the kitchen and how far that would be from the oxygen tanks.
I thought of that too as the brother made that comment. I have a family member who is a cook on a ship of similar (perhaps a bit smaller) size, and the kitchen is below deck near the bunks. But it is not a dive ship and functions differently, so not sure that is comparable.

I also think the fire was too early for breakfast - happened before 3:30 I think. Even for a hearty breakfast for early risers, that's a bit early to be cooking, I would think.

Did the cook survive - was he part of the 5 who were rescued?

jmo

That was my fear when I read the report.

29 Missing In Charter Boat Fire Off Ventura County Coast; At Least 4 Dead
Five people were rescued, at least four people were killed and another 30 remained missing after a blaze broke out on a charter boat early Monday morning directly off Santa Cruz Island, near the Ventura County coastline. Authorities confirmed there are fatalities, although the exact number is unknown.

This photo shows the burned out charter dive boat “Conception” just before it sank off Santa Cruz Island, near the coast of Ventura County. Sept. 2, 2019. (Credit: Ventura County Fire Department)

[...]

The crew members jumped off the burning boat, Coast Guard Capt. Monica Rochester told reporters at a news briefing from Channel Islands Harbor.

(Santa Barbara County Fire Department/Mike Eliason)

“The crew was actually already awake and on the bridge and they jumped off,” Rochester said.

[...]

Ventura County Fire crews battled the blaze, but the boat eventually sank in 64 feet of water, about 20 yards off shore. Only the bow remained visible.

Just before 11 a.m., the Coast Guard told the Associated Press that four bodies had been recovered near the burned out boat, leaving 30 people unaccounted for.

The Coast Guard was conducting search and rescue operations to see if any passengers had jumped off the boat or made it to the rocks. There was no word on what may have sparked the blaze.

[...]

An undated photo of “Conception.” (Truth Aquatics)

Experienced diver and CBS2 employee Darla Fletcher, who has taken several diving trips with Truth Aquatics, explained that the divers’ quarters on the boat are below deck and very cramped.

[...]

The layout for the sleeping quarters of the “Conception.” (Credit: Truth Aquatic)

Fletcher spoke highly of Truth Aquatics, which has been running charters since 1974.

[...]

Family members of those aboard the ship seeking information can call the Coast Guard at 833-688-5551.

[...]

Tina Patel on Twitter
DEVELOPING: Coast Guard says they are still in “search & rescue” mode, 34 people unaccounted for. Boat was about 20 yds off shore. @CBSLA
EDeN8NwUYAAd9rV.jpg

9:18 AM - 2 Sep 2019

Santa Cruz Island boat fire: Here's what we know
[...]

The boat is a 79-foot vessel and is called Conception, according to the website for charter boat company Truth Aquatics, which operates the boat.

At Santa Barbara Harbor, a Truth Aquatics staff member said Monday morning that the company was not commenting at this time.

In response to a question about any history of violations, Rochester said the vessel has been in full compliance.

It has commercial-use authorization to operate in the Channel Islands National Park, according to the National Park Service.

The Conception has a bunk capacity of 46 people maximum and has rafts and life jackets for 110 passengers, the website says.

According to Truth Aquatics' schedule, the boat departed at 4 a.m. Aug. 31 for a three-day dive trip and was expected to return at 5 p.m. Monday.

[...]

Last edited:
We will meet at the Santa Barbara Harbor on Friday night, boarding anytime after 8pm. Fall asleep with the Conception departing at 4am, Saturday morning. The boat will return on Monday (Labor Day) about 5pm. The Sea Landing Dive Center is located within steps from the Truth Aquatic vessels for convenient equipment rental (tanks and weights are not provided on-board).

INSURANCE: Most divers-in-the-know use Divers Alert Network Dive Accident Insurance. We also strongly encourage purchasing DAN Travel Insurance.
Labor Day Weekend; Northern Channel Islands - Worldwide Diving Adventures

29 Missing In Charter Boat Fire Off Ventura County Coast; At Least 4 Dead
Five people were rescued, at least four people were killed and another 30 remained missing after a blaze broke out on a charter boat early Monday morning directly off Santa Cruz Island, near the Ventura County coastline. Authorities confirmed there are fatalities, although the exact number is unknown.

This photo shows the burned out charter dive boat “Conception” just before it sank off Santa Cruz Island, near the coast of Ventura County. Sept. 2, 2019. (Credit: Ventura County Fire Department)

[...]

The crew members jumped off the burning boat, Coast Guard Capt. Monica Rochester told reporters at a news briefing from Channel Islands Harbor.

(Santa Barbara County Fire Department/Mike Eliason)

“The crew was actually already awake and on the bridge and they jumped off,” Rochester said.

[...]

Ventura County Fire crews battled the blaze, but the boat eventually sank in 64 feet of water, about 20 yards off shore. Only the bow remained visible.

Just before 11 a.m., the Coast Guard told the Associated Press that four bodies had been recovered near the burned out boat, leaving 30 people unaccounted for.

The Coast Guard was conducting search and rescue operations to see if any passengers had jumped off the boat or made it to the rocks. There was no word on what may have sparked the blaze.

[...]

An undated photo of “Conception.” (Truth Aquatics)

Experienced diver and CBS2 employee Darla Fletcher, who has taken several diving trips with Truth Aquatics, explained that the divers’ quarters on the boat are below deck and very cramped.

[...]

The layout for the sleeping quarters of the “Conception.” (Credit: Truth Aquatic)

Fletcher spoke highly of Truth Aquatics, which has been running charters since 1974.

[...]

Family members of those aboard the ship seeking information can call the Coast Guard at 833-688-5551.

[...]

So the crew members were awake. Maybe I wrong above and someone was starting breakfast at that time? What roles would the crew do awake so early? Does someone have to be awake during the night on a chartered trip like this? Do they sleep during the day?

jmo

The Red Cross is opening a reunification center at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara. Trained mental health and spiritual care volunteers onsite. Family members can call 833-688-5551 for information.

Santa Barbara County Fire Department and the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office will be leading the investigation.
4 bodies recovered after boat fire near Santa Cruz Island, dozens remain missing

Attorney Joseph Catmull, 59, last dived with Truth Aquatics in 2006. He said the "boats are probably the nicest in Southern California, and always had a top crew."

"Really, the last thing divers are thinking about is an explosion or a fire on a boat," said Catmull. "Tanks are stored well away from the berths below, so that's not a concern when you're sleeping. Trips like this are quite routine ... What divers are worried about are things like embolisms, or not coming back up."

Catmull said there is only one stairway on the passenger deck for divers to enter and exit from. "So it isn't hard to imagine that a fire could have caused tragedy," he said.

Jennifer Small, a spokeswoman from the Professional Association of Diving Instructors, said dive boats are regulated by the Coast Guard and are required to follow "the same safety regulations and requirements" as other vessels.

"When on board a dive boat, however, you’re more likely to be surrounded by other passengers and crew who have additional safety training in first aid, CPR, scuba diving emergencies, along with specialized medical response kits and oxygen kits," she said.
Four bodies found, dozens missing after boat sinks off Santa Cruz Island in California

Last edited:
The Red Cross is opening a reunification center at the Earl Warren Showgrounds in Santa Barbara. Trained mental health and spiritual care volunteers onsite. Family members can call 833-688-5551 for information.

Santa Barbara County Fire Department and the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office will be leading the investigation.

Confirmed 34 People Missing, 5 Rescued in Diving Boat Fire | Edhat

Thank you for this. I'm not too far from where this is happening and it looks like Ventura County Fire has responded and has given a fairly lengthy press conferences on ABC (it's available on youtube).

No way that the survivors (if any) are going to make it to Earl Warren Fairgrounds. This happened at 3 am, with some 30 people sleeping below deck (near or below the engine, which apparently exploded). Very very sad.

I'd like to point out that this wasn't an "excursion" (like a scuba diving excursion). These were professional divers, as I understand it. It's a really dangerous profession (abalone is very profitable), but not usually due to fire. Boat was built in 1981.

Attorney Joseph Catmull, 59, last dived with Truth Aquatics in 2006. He said the "boats are probably the nicest in Southern California, and always had a top crew."

"Really, the last thing divers are thinking about is an explosion or a fire on a boat," said Catmull. "Tanks are stored well away from the berths below, so that's not a concern when you're sleeping. Trips like this are quite routine ... What divers are worried about are things like embolisms, or not coming back up."

Catmull said there is only one stairway on the passenger deck for divers to enter and exit from. "So it isn't hard to imagine that a fire could have caused tragedy," he said.

Jennifer Small, a spokeswoman from the Professional Association of Diving Instructors, said dive boats are regulated by the Coast Guard and are required to follow "the same safety regulations and requirements" as other vessels.

"When on board a dive boat, however, you’re more likely to be surrounded by other passengers and crew who have additional safety training in first aid, CPR, scuba diving emergencies, along with specialized medical response kits and oxygen kits," she said.
Four bodies found, dozens missing after boat sinks off Santa Cruz Island in California
This was very interesting, thanks for posting. So the oxygen tanks are not by the bunks

I am not getting any vibe that this was an unsafe operation. Quite the opposite - seems like a well-run boating business with a long-standing good reputation.

Fire investigation is a science and I am confident we'll learn the cause of this fire.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back