Found Deceased CA- Bob Gregory, 61, Avid hiker, never returned from a hike near Mount Islip, January 2023

dotr

Reaction score
missing-hiker-hawthorne.jpg
Bob Gregory sits atop Mt. Langley in the Sierra Nevadas.
Jan 18 2023
''Teo Gregory couldn't bear to talk about her husband, 61-year-old Bob Gregory, after he never returned from a hike near Mount Islip, just ten days after their 32nd anniversary.

In her stead, Jimmy Gregory, the couple's only child described his father as an expert, safety-conscious hiker, who's done at least 25 hikes in the San Gabriel Mountains.

"He's experienced and he knew what he was doing," Jimmy said. "He was very thorough in what he was doing — had plans before he started hiking. He would know the area — does his homework about the area."

Rescue teams have concentrated their effort along the trail map Bob posted before heading out last Friday. His son added that investigators also tried tracking his father's phone to see if he might have veered off the pre-determined trail.

"I wasn't worried because I know he did it for a long time and he had experience," said Jimmy. "It shows the progress that he actually knows the terrain and everything about it. We really weren't worried until now, pretty much."

ETA Thread for other missing hiker..

''Search-and-rescue operations are underway for two missing hikers in two different spots of the San Gabriel mountains.''
1674139572759.png
''Another missing hiker is Hawthorne resident Bob Gregory. He has not returned home after he went hiking in the Crystal Lake area to the Windy Gap trail last Friday. His truck was found near the hiking trail on Saturday.

The LA County Sheriff’s Department is supporting the search-and-rescue effort to locate Gregory. The Hawthorne Police Department is expected to the lead the search operation.

Gregory is also an experienced hiker, according to his sister.''

Last edited:
ETA Thread for other missing hiker..

''Search-and-rescue operations are underway for two missing hikers in two different spots of the San Gabriel mountains.''
View attachment 396329
''Another missing hiker is Hawthorne resident Bob Gregory. He has not returned home after he went hiking in the Crystal Lake area to the Windy Gap trail last Friday. His truck was found near the hiking trail on Saturday.

The LA County Sheriff’s Department is supporting the search-and-rescue effort to locate Gregory. The Hawthorne Police Department is expected to the lead the search operation.

Gregory is also an experienced hiker, according to his sister.''
I’m sad that both these men chose to go alone (imo, because 1 report stated that Julian was with someone, but I believe that’s incorrect). So much safer to have a partner to go for help if something happens.

I hope the rescuers stay safe. While I deeply sympathize with the families, mountaineers who cannot self-rescue put search and rescue teams in unnecessary peril. Imo

''The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Teams warn the public to stay away from the Mt. Baldy and surrounding area mountains as they have responded to 14 rescue missions in the past month, with two hikers dying after falling.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department is asking everyone to follow these simple tips to keep yourself and others safe:
  • Heed all posted warning signs
  • Look at weather conditions (both current and forecasted) for the area
  • Make sure you have the proper gear, training and are properly prepared for alpine conditions (Crampons, ice axe, proper clothing)
  • Hike with a partner
  • Bring a tracking or GPS device such as a SPOT Device or INREACH Device
  • Make sure your cell phone has a full charge and bring a charged extra power pack for it
  • Let someone know where and when you are going, and what time you will be back
  • Most importantly- If you don't know, please don't go!''

No updates that I could find about Bob Gregory.

I hadn't seen the video with his wife and son before, not sure if it was added to the article later or whether I missed it.
It also shows the map of the route he planned, and the terrain.

I feel very sad for him and his family.

Found deceased. :(

FEB 18, 2023
[...]

Bob Gregory, 61, was reported missing back on Jan. 18 after he failed to come home from a solo hike near Mt. Islip in the San Gabriel Mountains.

According to Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, harsh weather conditions prevented rescue crews from reaching the area where the hiker's body was found.

[...]

I wonder if he had a medical emergency, such as a heart attack? They don’t mention a fall…his poor family. At least now they have a bit of closure.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back