CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bob only returned home, so sad what has happened to two different families.

Waiting patiently (NOT!) for your theory CA Exile!

I seem to recall some of what was posted on IS but has since been deleted: Some time after the passing of Bob's wife of 59 years and after being reminded by his lawyer of his obligations as trustee, Bob failed to ever report certain aspects of the mother's estate to her named beneficiaries as required by law. His first wife had passed more than a year before Fontelle came along. He called a meeting in order to meet the requirement, before Fontelle's return. Media reports differed from what I recall.

This is only my best recollection (TIOMBR).

Help me out here.... if Bob failed to report the 'certain aspects' of the mothers estate as required by law, what were the daughters other options (legal options) if he refused to comply? Let's put aside for a moment, any other choices but for the daughters to go to these other options.

If you know or can explain...... eta: or anyone. Dollypardonme, maybe you might have a better idea as a CA resident.

tia

We know there was a "family trust" over which Bob was trustee. As I understood it, there was a separate will left by Georgia, which was never given to the daughters and was their reason for visiting Bob the night before he went missing.

We now have a supporting claim that Bob was tight with a dollar, as the daughters stated long ago. Does everyone believe, given that knowledge, that he would willingly hand over a substantial portion of his worth to a woman he had just married after a 60 year estrangement? That doesn't strike anyone as odd?

It does me. I'm sorry.

Help me out here.... if Bob failed to report the 'certain aspects' of the mothers estate as required by law, what were the daughters other options (legal options) if he refused to comply? Let's put aside for a moment, any other choices but for the daughters to go to these other options.

If you know or can explain...... eta: or anyone. Dollypardonme, maybe you might have a better idea as a CA resident.

tia

He could have been held in contempt of court or even removed as the trustee!

http://www.calprobate.com/blog/?Tag=probate attorney

In cases involving an irrevocable trust, California law requires the trustee to provide the beneficiaries with a copy of the trust document upon on the death of the settlor (the person who established the trust). If the trustee has failed to provide the beneficiaries with a copy of the trust document, they should consider filing a motion to compel its production with the probate court. If the probate judge finds that the trustee has failed and refused to provide copies of the trust document to the beneficiaries, he will order the trustee to produce the trust document within a specified period of time. Failure of the trustee to comply with the court's order could result in his being held in contempt or even removed as trustee.

We know there was a "family trust" over which Bob was trustee. As I understood it, there was a separate will left by Georgia, which was never given to the daughters and was their reason for visiting Bob the night before he went missing.

We now have a supporting claim that Bob was tight with a dollar, as the daughters stated long ago. Does everyone believe, given that knowledge, that he would willingly hand over a substantial portion of his worth to a woman he had just married after a 60 year estrangement? That doesn't strike anyone as odd?

It does me. I'm sorry.

A 60 year estrangement and a 6 day whirlwind romance that ended in a wedding?? No way! I just don't think this "Surprise" reconnection was that much of a surprise! IMHO

He could have been held in contempt of court or even removed as the trustee!

http://www.calprobate.com/blog/?Tag=probate%20attorney

In cases involving an irrevocable trust, California law requires the trustee to provide the beneficiaries with a copy of the trust document upon on the death of the settlor (the person who established the trust). If the trustee has failed to provide the beneficiaries with a copy of the trust document, they should consider filing a motion to compel its production with the probate court. If the probate judge finds that the trustee has failed and refused to provide copies of the trust document to the beneficiaries, he will order the trustee to produce the trust document within a specified period of time. Failure of the trustee to comply with the court's order could result in his being held in contempt or even removed as trustee.

Thank you! So it seems the daughters had a legal avenue by which to resolve the matter. They didn't actually have to murder their own father.

Wonder if they knew that?

A 60 year estrangement and a 6 day whirlwind romance that ended in a wedding?? No way! I just don't think this "Surprise" reconnection was that much of a surprise! IMHO

I agree Dolly. I understand that Bob and Fontelle were advanced in age, but it's just way too fast.

Based on what we have learned about Bob, it just doesn't make much sense to me.

It might be considered way too fast if Bob and Fontelle had not known each other 60 years earlier. But they did know each other previously, and they were in love and engaged previously, even though circumstances took their lives in different directions 6 decades ago.

6 days with no previous history, definately too fast.
I can't say with certainty 6 days was too fast given their history.

JMO

I just have one more question CaExile..In the article about Bob and Fontelle's marriage..she claims she had found Paradise on earth again. They had just been married. It had been 6 days..YET she went back to MO to gather her clothes..JUST her clothes..Now, why couldnt her daughter have shipped those out to her AND if she was going to drive out to California I sure would'nt want my Mother going 1/2 way across the country driving by herself. Seem's like there were quite a few people that knew Bob would be alone for a few days...

It might be considered way too fast if Bob and Fontelle had not known each other 60 years earlier. But they did know each other previously, and they were in love and engaged previously, even though circumstances took their lives in different directions 6 decades ago.

JMO

Yes, but 60 years prior it had only been a blind date and it moved too fast too. They dated for 6 months and he was shipped out to korea and never contacted her again. He fell in love with Georgia and was married to her and cared for her until the day she died, I think for 59 years!! To come into a man's life after 60 years, marry him for 6 days, he disappears and then change the locks leaves me uneasy. JMO

JMO

Oh c'mon! He barely remembered her! IIRC, she was 15 when he left. They both married others and built their own lives - never, ever re-connecting until last year. And they were married in record time.

Now he's gone. And she's living - for free - in his home and fighting for his assets. That doesn't seem odd to anyone?

JMO

Also...When a person is in their late seventies and/or early eighties they are well aware of the time they have left.

They talked everyday for hours leading up to Fontelle's visit.

Fontelle and Mr. Harrod most likely knew eachother better then most couples do after a year of dating.

"After eight weeks of chatting daily on the phone, Fontelle came to California."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03,0,3066456.story?page=1

I seem to recall some of what was posted on IS but has since been deleted: Some time after the passing of Bob's wife of 59 years and after being reminded by his lawyer of his obligations as trustee, Bob failed to ever report certain aspects of the mother's estate to her named beneficiaries as required by law. His first wife had passed more than a year before Fontelle came along. He called a meeting in order to meet the requirement, before Fontelle's return. Media reports differed from what I recall.

This is only my best recollection (TIOMBR).

There are two sides to the story.

"The day before he disappeared, his daughters -- PB, RB and JM-- went to his home in Placentia. The four argued about money, police say.

According to Fontelle, Bob said his daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include his new wife in the estate. According to court filings, his daughters estimated Bob had property and savings worth at least $1 million."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03,0,3066456.story?page=3

"His daughter, Roberta, acknowledged the exchange, saying her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate.

"It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html

Oh c'mon! He barely remembered her! IIRC, she was 15 when he left. They both married others and built their own lives - never, ever re-connecting until last year. And they were married in record time.

Now he's gone. And she's living - for free - in his home and fighting for his assets. That doesn't seem odd to anyone?

Maybe she truly loved him. Not everyone runs away when times get tough. I admire her strength.

"For the most part, Fontelle's days are quiet. Her eyes are bad, so she can't drive. One of Bob's former neighbors is helping her, bringing her food or taking her shopping. There are days when the desire to return to her own family makes her ache, but she resists leaving."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03,0,3066456.story?page=4
"I want to find out who did this to him," she says. "I want whatever is left of him to take home."

Yes, but 60 years prior it had only been a blind date and it moved too fast too. They dated for 6 months and he was shipped out to korea and never contacted her again. He fell in love with Georgia and was married to her and cared for her until the day she died, I think for 59 years!! To come into a man's life after 60 years, marry him for 6 days, he disappears and then change the locks leaves me uneasy. JMO

One of Bob's daughter's posted last year that Fontelle changed the locks because the daughter suggested it to Fontelle.

I just talked to Fontelle on the phone. She is holding up considering the circumstances. She is still living in Bob's house as is her right. She and Bob's daughters are still at war. They want her out and she wants her rights as a widow. Also, there is a lot of suspicion about the case. No proof, but the daughters have apparently been uncooperative. There could be several reasons for this. They may just be tired and want to get on with their lives. Or, something worse. Some took lie detector tests, some did not. They are trying to settle his estate and trusts. Hopefully, all of this can go to court and decisions can be made. Until then, no one will be at peace.

It would be interesting to know which indiviuals refused to be polygraphed.

I just talked to Fontelle on the phone. She is holding up considering the circumstances. She is still living in Bob's house as is her right. She and Bob's daughters are still at war. They want her out and she wants her rights as a widow. Also, there is a lot of suspicion about the case. No proof, but the daughters have apparently been uncooperative. There could be several reasons for this. They may just be tired and want to get on with their lives. Or, something worse. Some took lie detector tests, some did not. They are trying to settle his estate and trusts. Hopefully, all of this can go to court and decisions can be made. Until then, no one will be at peace.

"Fontelle Harrod said several days after Bob Harrod disappeared, his three daughters came to his house where Fontelle was staying and told her she wasn't entitled to any of their father's assets.

According to records from Orange County Probate Court, Brady and Borcher filed a petition for conservatorship to gain control of their father's assets Aug. 7."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html

Just to clarify...........

It was one of Mr. Harrod's own daughters who told Fontelle to change the locks.

Thanks Exile, Very Interesting. If you are as you say, why should we believe the things you post about Bob that the daughters posted using different words on another site? He kept to himself and had few visitors or friends, was very cautious with his money, and the barber person was not well thought of. Common opinion has been expressed that the daughters were attacking their father when stating the same as you. [snipped]

Hardly the same. They trashed the character of an 81 year-old missing person who had no voice and who could have been out there somewhere injured or worse.

In various posts over about a 1 month period after Bob went missing, the daughters referred to Bob as a chronic liar, a snake, bizarre, and secretive. They also referred to him as “selling out to the devil.”

One posted it was not in character for him to be charitable with $$$$, unless there was some profit in it for him.

They posted several times that $$$ was his God.

One posted that Bob could have spent money to improve the conditions of their mother’s care, but refused to.

One posted that the forms for their mother’s life insurance policy could have been ready and waiting for her last breath…that it was exactly the kind of person the father they know is.

And now, according to CA Exile in a previous post, Bob had helped support at least 2 of the daughters and had given them money when in need.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5439928&postcount=525

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member