Found Deceased CA - British actor Julian Sands, 65, missing in Mount Baldy area, San Gabriel Mountains, last seen 13 Jan 2023

My rule of thumb: any time you go into the backcountry and the odds seem high that you might need a rescue, it's your obligation to turn back. SAR folks are mostly volunteers who have personal lives, careers, and families: IMO it's selfish to jeopardize their lives or give opportunity to injury. Better: not go at all. The mountain/trail/waterfall isn't going away: enjoy it another day.

Turning back short of your goal is one of the hardest things to do when you're on a trail or climbing a mountain. It is a significant indicator of experience if you are able to do so. It means you've assessed risk and judged the odds are not in your favor and/or might put others in danger. Many SAR call-outs are to rescue/recover folks who couldn't make the decision to turn back when survival was still possible.
This.
I was with a group and began to get elevation sickness that was making me feel disoriented beyond what I felt was ok at around 14k. Almost to the summit but we turned around because I was really struggling. No hard feelings. We had all as a group agreed that we go together. The mountain will always be there.

Mount Baldy is an "incredibly hard hike" under wintry conditions, but missing actor Julian Sands is an "extremely advanced hiker," a friend of the actor told Fox News Digital Thursday.

"It's an incredibly hard hike with those weather conditions," said actor Kevin Ryan, who first met Sands while the two were shooting a series called "Crossbones" together. Ryan has done the hike "a number of times" and twice in the winter.

"You're talking about six to eight to nine hours to get to the summit," added Ryan. "And when it's icy, it's very challenging. I know Julian is an extremely advanced hiker and very strong-willed. He's very, very fit. And we're holding out strong that it'll be a positive return for him."

However, Ryan noted that with California’s "very cold, wet weather" this year, it was likely hampering search efforts on the mountain.

Actor Julian Sands is due to join his four brothers for their regular weekly pub meeting in their native Yorkshire in two days. But there is little doubt now — even as the family’s mood oscillates between hope and fear — that he will be absent.

It is two weeks since Julian, 65, whose starring role in the 1985 film A Room With A View earned him international acclaim, disappeared while climbing in the treacherous, snow-bound San Gabriel Mountains north of Los Angeles. The British actor lives near by with his second wife and their two daughters.

This week, as police in California resumed their search for him from the air, after deadly storms hampered their earlier efforts, the family praised their heroism.

Meanwhile, in Yorkshire, Julian’s brother Nick, 66, whose home is close to Gargrave, the picturesque village on the verge of the Dales where three of the Sands brothers were raised, is now coming to terms with the fact that the brother with whom he shared a boyhood bedroom and the closest of fraternal bonds will not make their Monday Club reunion.

[...]

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department told the Press Association: “Julian Sands has now been missing for three weeks.

“Our Aviation Division continues to patrol that area, intermittently, in search of Mr Sands.

“Typically, we search for 10 days before downgrading to a passive search. In this case, with the weather precluding a continuous search, we extended those plans.

“While weather and mountain conditions continue to be an issue, we will resume ground searches once weather conditions permit and as the snow melts.”

I was hoping for a different outcome as many we're but having hiked around Mount Baldy myself in the past know how dangerous the mountain can be. Pray for his return for the family's sake and piece of mind.

A ground search for missing actor Julian Sands is being planned imminently in the southern Californian mountains, before the arrival of another storm in the region.

San Bernardino County Sheriff’s department said there was currently no exact date or time for the search but that ground crews would be deployed.

[...]

“A ground search for Julian Sands is being planned before the next storm hits next week,” a department spokesperson told the PA news agency.

“We don’t have an exact date/time for that search but will use ground crews.”

The spokesperson added that weather and mountain conditions “continue to be an obstacle” and that subsequent searches would be further delayed if Sands was not located next week.

[...]

A ground search for missing actor Julian Sands is being planned imminently in the southern Californian mountains, before the arrival of another storm in the region.

San Bernardino County Sheriff’s department said there was currently no exact date or time for the search but that ground crews would be deployed.

[...]

“A ground search for Julian Sands is being planned before the next storm hits next week,” a department spokesperson told the PA news agency.

“We don’t have an exact date/time for that search but will use ground crews.”

The spokesperson added that weather and mountain conditions “continue to be an obstacle” and that subsequent searches would be further delayed if Sands was not located next week.

[...]

At this point just wanting him to be found so his family can continue to greave but with their loved one at rest in a known place.

OMG - I have only just come across this post re Julian. This hits close to home.

My previous partner ( 1990’s ), his sister Moira was married to Julian’s brother Jeremy.

I would visit them often in North Yorkshire and Gargrave where he grew up.

I met His mother a few times ( she was always so very proud of her 4 boys but especially the fact that Julian had ‘broke‘ into Hollywood.)

I met Julian himself when he visited his brother Jeremy aka ‘Jaz’ when I was visiting too .

Julian had just finished /wrapping up his movie’Arachnophobia‘ and he brought his son Henry with him and he gave his nephew Martin, a watch that was created for the set of the movie.

I haven’t had contact for many years now but it is still heart wrenching to hear that he’s gone missing and has been missing for a substantial period of time now . My thoughts are with his wife and children and his family and friends.

Actor John Malkovich is in Berlin to debut his latest pic Seneca – On the Creation of Earthquakes, and during a press conference Monday, he spoke to reporters about his relationship with his co-star, Julian Sands, who has been missing since January.

“Julian and I were very, very close,” Malkovich told reporters in Berlin.

“I’m a godfather to his first son from his first marriage to Sarah, who I know very well. I introduced him to his second wife, and we have been close since we met in 1993 on the set of The Killing Fields. It’s a very sad event.”

Malkovich and Sands co-star in Seneca – On the Creation of Earthquakes, which debuts in Berlin tonight. The pic follows the influential Roman philosopher Seneca and his deadly fall from grace with mentee and benefactor Emperor Nero, who falsely accuses him of being involved in an assassination plot.

So sorry for the family that Julian Sands is still missing. I hope they can find him before the next storm hits because if not, it might be June or July before they can search again. My kids were in California traveling through the Sierras last June and the eastern road into Yosemite was still blocked by snow. It's a shame to lose such a great actor. I always loved his performance in "A Room with a View" because he and Helena Bonham Carter had great chemistry.

So sorry for the family that Julian Sands is still missing. I hope they can find him before the next storm hits because if not, it might be June or July before they can search again. My kids were in California traveling through the Sierras last June and the eastern road into Yosemite was still blocked by snow. It's a shame to lose such a great actor. I always loved his performance in "A Room with a View" because he and Helena Bonham Carter had great chemistry.
Unfortunatley we are getting another snow storm here starting tomorrow in the area Julian went missing (I'm not too far and at a lower elevation and we will be getting snow here as well so I imagine the snow on Mount Baldy will be rather significant. Searchers won't be able to continue the search until the weather clears up. I feel so bad for Julians family and I too loved "A Room with a View".

Authorities in the United States have temporarily closed tourist resorts in the Mount Baldy area of the San Gabriel mountains, California, where Julian Sands went missing, due to the danger of avalanches.

The Mount Baldy resort and popular nearby areas were "temporarily closed" on Monday and would remain that way until further notice, authorities said.

Snow storms have battered the southern Californian region throughout the past week, almost two months on from when British actor Sands was first reported missing after setting out for a hike.

Though no evidence of Sands has yet been found, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s department previously vowed to "bring closure" to his family.

[...]

Searches by both ground and air have been suspended while adverse weather conditions continue.

Angeles National Forest tweeted: "After major snowfall near steep mountainsides, there can be avalanche danger.

"The Mt Baldy area, including the Mt Baldy Resort and nearby popular areas for snow play, will remain temporarily closed until further notice due to avalanche danger."

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back