CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a family member, It is very hard to sit and wait for news, however, there is a lot of law enforcement in our immediate family and I understand that before anything can be released, the information cannot jeopardize a different investigation.
In other words, I feel a little easier that there hasn't been any news yet. I think the coroner had enough information about some key things that he could've made the decision that it was in fact him BUT since no news has been released I think it isn't him and any information released might hinder a new investigation into the newly found body.

I AM SPECULATING HERE but hoping.

I will be shocked if Bryce turns out to be a homicide victim. Just seems too many unusual happenings/timelines for that, JMO. Accidental death, possibly, if he is not alive.

Another thing, I really feel that LASD dropped the ball on this one from the get go. They did search and rescue on Friday but nothing else until Tuesday after the media was heavily involved.
I live in a southwest suburb of Chicago and can tell you that something like this would have been handled entirely differently up here.
I can't remember if it was on this forum or another forum, but someone asked why is LASD handling the case and not Santa Clarita - The answer is that Castaic Lake is run by Los Angeles Dept of Parks and IS technically in LA County

Thank you for posting here. Thoughts & prayers are with you and your family.

The delay by LE in further S&R efforts seems typical for the area. Remembering a case a few months ago of Sarah Alarid. It was about the same. :( Unfortunately, I guess resources are thin.

Most all of the Castaic & Santa Clarita Valley area is policed by LASD. There is no local "city police", but there are local sheriff's stations.

@ dragracerz: What else can you share with us about Bryce and/or the details of his drive from Chico toward his parent's home, events leading up to his departure from Chico, etc. without jeopardizing the investigation?

TIA [=Thanks in advance]

This is the timeline: (what else would you like to know?)

11:30 p.m. Wednesday - Bryce Laspisa leaves Chico, according to his girlfriend, Kim.

9 a.m. Thursday - Bryce runs out of gas near the Buttonwillow Rest Area, west of Bakersfield, according to his mother.

Noon Thursday - a roadside assistance serviceman named Christian delivers three gallons of gasoline to Bryce, according to a $20 credit card purchase for the fuel. “He’s not answering his phone (at this time),” his mother said.

12:30 p.m. Thursday - Karen Laspisa calls serviceman Christian and asks about her son. He tells her he appears “OK” but adds: “His eyes look a little red.” Bryce does not answer his cell phone.

9 p.m. Thursday - responding to a call from the mother, CHP officers stop and search Bryce’s car spotted on Lagoon Drive in Buttonwillow. “Something happened in the whole 10 hours he was around there,” she said.
Shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday - Karen speaks to her son on the phone and asks: “What are you doing?” His response, she said, is: “I’m going to hang with friends later.”

11 p.m. Thursday - Bryce tells his mother he’s buying a beverage at a gas station. A purchase is made for $1.71, she said.

Shortly after midnight Thursday - “He tells me he’s on the I-5 south but he’s telling me nothing,” she said.
1:50 a.m. Friday - Bryce, by phone, tells her he “had detoured off I-5 but was back on the I-5.”

2:08 a.m. Friday - Karen Laspisa talks to her son for the last time. He tells her his GPS tells him he will arrive in Laguna Niguel in three hours and 25 minutes. “He told me ‘I got off the I-5 and I’m in a suburban area. I’m going to sleep in my car,’”

Between 2:08 a.m. and 5 a.m. Friday - Bryce makes three trips to the crash site – the last trip ending with the crash, according to what his mother described as surveillance footage captured by cameras set up near Castaic Lake.

5:30 a.m. Friday - CHP officers locate his overturned SUV on a paved access road that leads to the Castaic Lake Main Boat ramp, at the bottom of a 15-foot ravine, on its side, with its rear window smashed. Although he left the valuables – laptop, cell phone and wallet – a duffle bag is found at the rear of the car and zipped open, prompting investigators to suspect he took something from it.

@ dragracerz: Could you share with us why LE [=Law Enforcement] searched Bryce's SUV at the Buttonwillow(??) rest stop? TIA

I was told there were 2 trips to the crash site not three
There is IMO a key piece of evidence on the surveillance tapes. His car is seen going toward the crash site at 2:30 AM (guessing on time - don't remember) Then it is eeen again going toward the crash site at 4:20 AM but this time a second car is following a minute behind.
LASD needs to find the second car and see why they were going in there at 4:21 and you would think that driver would have seen the crash ??????
A worker found the crash at 5:30 AM

11:30 p.m. Wednesday - Bryce Laspisa leaves Chico, according to his girlfriend, Kim.

9 a.m. Thursday - Bryce runs out of gas near the Buttonwillow Rest Area, west of Bakersfield, according to his mother.

Noon Thursday - a roadside assistance serviceman named Christian delivers three gallons of gasoline to Bryce, according to a $20 credit card purchase for the fuel. “He’s not answering his phone (at this time),” his mother said.

12:30 p.m. Thursday - Karen Laspisa calls serviceman Christian and asks about her son. He tells her he appears “OK” but adds: “His eyes look a little red.” Bryce does not answer his cell phone.

9 p.m. Thursday - responding to a call from the mother, CHP officers stop and search Bryce’s car spotted on Lagoon Drive in Buttonwillow. “Something happened in the whole 10 hours he was around there,” she said.
Shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday - Karen speaks to her son on the phone and asks: “What are you doing?” His response, she said, is: “I’m going to hang with friends later.”

11 p.m. Thursday - Bryce tells his mother he’s buying a beverage at a gas station. A purchase is made for $1.71, she said.

Shortly after midnight Thursday - “He tells me he’s on the I-5 south but he’s telling me nothing,” she said.
1:50 a.m. Friday - Bryce, by phone, tells her he “had detoured off I-5 but was back on the I-5.”

2:08 a.m. Friday - Karen Laspisa talks to her son for the last time. He tells her his GPS tells him he will arrive in Laguna Niguel in three hours and 25 minutes. “He told me ‘I got off the I-5 and I’m in a suburban area. I’m going to sleep in my car,’”

Between 2:08 a.m. and 5 a.m. Friday - Bryce makes three trips to the crash site – the last trip ending with the crash, according to what his mother described as surveillance footage captured by cameras set up near Castaic Lake.

5:30 a.m. Friday - CHP officers locate his overturned SUV on a paved access road that leads to the Castaic Lake Main Boat ramp, at the bottom of a 15-foot ravine, on its side, with its rear window smashed. Although he left the valuables – laptop, cell phone and wallet – a duffle bag is found at the rear of the car and zipped open, prompting investigators to suspect he took something from it.

Do we know the tone of Bryce's communications with his mom? I know she states that he "wasn't telling her anything". Was he being vague or did he sound intoxicated, upset, angry, ? Does Bryce have friends near Buttonwillow?

My thoughts are that if he was sounding unusual in some way that could be a sign of him being intoxicated or having a mental health issue. If he sounded like he was being deliberately vague, or was very emotional, that points to him needing time alone, or possibly worse.

@dragracerz - When Bryce tells his mother that he's going to hang with friends later, do you know if he meant friends down in Laguna Niguel or friends in Buttonwillow or somewhere along the way home? When I initially heard he said that, I was assuming he meant friends at home in Laguna Niguel, but others have wondered if he had friends along his route home. I'm also sorry for what you and your family is going through. I'm local in Santa Clarita and there are plenty of us willing to help out if they need searchers.

Besides the long stay in Buttonwillow, it appears that there are several hours unaccounted for from leaving his gf's Wed night at 11:30pm to running out of gas in Buttonwillow at 9am Thurs morning. Where did he stop in between? His apartment? Friends from Sierra? Who saw him then?

@ dragracerz: Where in the timeline did Bryce's mom talk to his friends asking them to give him his keys back?

Thank you for the info Dragracerz. Do you happen to know if LE was able to see the driver clearly in the surveillance footage?

Can you tell us anything about why he was coming home? what he "had a lot to talk about"?

I went through a lot of different stuff at his age but did not talk to my parents. I ended up moving out in my senior year of high school, but did not drop out, but almost did. Is this the grey area you don't know about either?

RSBM [=Respectfully Sniped By Me] for space

In Chico/Rocklin(?), why did the friends/roommates/whoever take away Bryce's car keys?

What was Bryce doing/saying that prompted them to take such an action?

TIA

@ dragracerz: Could you share with us why LE [=Law Enforcement] searched Bryce's SUV at the Buttonwillow(??) rest stop? TIA

My sister called (I believe CHP) to report that it was taking her son a long time to make this drive and was worried. CHP told her that if a missing persons report wasn't filed they couldn't do anything, so she filed one and they "pinged" his phone and found him pretty quick.
The officers interviewed him while on the phone with my sister and assured her that he was OK to drive. They searched him and his vehicle for drugs and found none.
After they "found" him, the missing persons report was lifted. That's why a second missing persons report was filed after the crash

dragracerz, what would be your theory as to why Bryce would spend upward to 10 hours at the Buttonwillow truck stop??? Unless he got a room there, he wouldn't have been able to sleep in his car as the temperatures have been miserably hot there, over 100 each day. Not unless he slept in his car with the engine running and the a/c on.

What would he be doing there? The weekend was so short for such a drive, why waste some of his precious time kicking around an area he didn't know?? TIA.

There is IMO a key piece of evidence on the surveillance tapes. His car is seen going toward the crash site at 2:30 AM (guessing on time - don't remember) Then it is eeen again going toward the crash site at 4:20 AM but this time a second car is following a minute behind.
LASD needs to find the second car and see why they were going in there at 4:21 and you would think that driver would have seen the crash ??????

The 2nd car 1 minute behind him does seem critical! They likely wouldn't have witnessed the crash as it happened, but would have still seen headlights (if on) & dust & debris kicked up. Hmmmm.... Just one more piece.

I'm really interested in the surveillance tapes. Do you know where the surveillance tapes came from? I know once you pass the intersection at Lake Hughes Rd and Ridge Route Rd there are no stores or anywhere that would have surveillance cameras.

Dragracerz - thank you so much for joining here. As you can see, we all are praying like crazy and want Bryce to be found safe.

Thank you for all the clarifying information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74