CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, that sounds very plausible. Do we know, anyone, if Bryce did indeed live in a dorm?

Welcome to Ws.

Also, I guess I can see leaving his computer and phone behind, if he wanted to take off and not be traced, but why leave his wallet?

This is partly why the lake is such a concern for me.

Yes, Bryce lived in the dorms last year. That is where he and my son met and became friends.

Was there any money left in the abandoned wallet?

Note: I do recall Dragracerz did mention something to the effect of BL using his debit card, even for small purchases as that was the account into which the parents would deposit a weekly amount/allowance. So, it's unclear to me how much cash BL would typically carry around in his wallet.

I wonder what time this sighting was? It freaks me out because last week a few posters were joking about seeing redheaded kids in their town and doing double takes. I had a 'run in' myself before their postings, but did not post about it. The posters were simply expressing how much this case was affecting them and I felt they stated my thoughts, so no need to add to it.

I don't think the guy I saw was Bryce, but I only saw him from the side/back. This was the same day, Tuesday, Sept. 17th, about 4:30 - 4:45 pm. I was driving through downtown Portland in the Pearl District after picking up something from my Naturopath (I left work early to run this errand so this helps to pinpoint the time). I was driving down a block, and suddenly a kid (looked/dressed college age) caught my eye, about 3/4 the way crossing the street on the opposite side to me.

It caught my eye, like the other posters, like 'woah'... but I didn't really think it was him, maybe because it's so far from Castaic (although I know we've talked about him being anywhere) and even if I did suspect it, I would have had to find a place to park my car on a crowded downtown block, on one-way streets, requiring going at least a block in a further direction to find a spot...and run the kid down. (Not that I wouldn't have done it if I'd truly suspected anything)

There is an art college nearby and it looked like the kid had books or a messenger bag and was wearing nice, newish clothes, like pants and a light colored plaid-ish shirt. (Cream/light rust/forest green?) casually walking by; walking with a purpose, not homeless/street kid or 'killing time'.

Anyway, it's probably nothing. I swear I am not trying to get attention or have a 'scoop', and I didn't think anything at the time but 'woah', how a red headed kid with a buzzcut really does stand out when you are subconciously on alert.

Port Orford is almost 5 hours from Portland...so timing of the sighting would help. But I felt I should mention it now, and then it's out there for whatever it's worth. I don't have facebook but I'll see if there's a number to call (other than the 911 on the flyer), just in case.

http://findbrycelaspisa.com/information.html

on left side of page, you can click on the envelope and send email

just do a cut and paste of your post

Please let us know when you do this.

I can do it for you if you want me to.

IIRC, ID was left in abandoned wallet.

And a poster talked about how easy it is for college kids to get fake ID's … so that is a possibility if he wanted to start a new life … ya never know!

Another possible sighting?? Posted on "Find Bryce Laspisa" page:

My Grandpa Asked me to post this. He doesn't have a FB page. He does a lot of camping east coast. I hope his information helps!

Probable sighting of Bryce Laspisa

I may have encountered and spoke to this person September 17, Tuesday morning at about 5:30 AM. I was camping at Cape Blanco State Park on the southern Oregon coast when he approached me and asked for directions on how to exit the place. He said he had just come down off of a "ridge" which seemed strange because I couldn't place the ridge and it was dark and had been raining. He had short cropped reddish hair and wore pants and a white tank top style undershirt. He also had what appeared to be a hooded sweat shirt, but wasn't wearing it at the time. I gave him directions and he left.

I saw him again about 30 minutes later walking the road from the park toward US 101 as I drove to Port Orford. It's about 6 miles from the park to US 101 and about another 6 miles south on 101 to Port Orford. I returned from Port Orford to the park about two hours later, but did not see the individual along the road again.

The encounter seemed strange at the time, because of the early morning time and the fact that he didn't seem to know where he was at. He appeared to be in good health and not injured.

I contacted the LA sheriff's department and the Curry County sheriff after seeing the story in the LA Times tonight, Saturday Sept 21

He could easily have cash on his person IMO. Maybe he saved up money for this "disappearance." Maybe he sold a couple video games or a book or anything really. I wouldn't rule out that he didn't have cash. It's just another unknown...

JMO

Forgive me if this has already been addressed; I have read extensively and haven't found an answer:

I am curious about the gas delivery to Bryce in Buttonwillow. Everything I've read indicates that the road service driver showed up and Bryce wasn't around so the driver left but returned when Bryce "called back immediately requesting gas." The following is from post #495 from dragracerz (sorry, I'm not clever enough to figure out how to link!):

"Could be ? I don't know if it is in the timeline or not, but the road service driver showed up with gas and Bryce wasn't by his car, the driver left and Bryce called back immediately requesting gas, the driver turned around and brought him 3 gallons of gas.

My sister was notified of the road service via text (survey on service) and called and actually talked to the driver while he was with Bryce. He said he didn't see him when he first got there and maybe Bryce was sleeping, Bryce was listening to the conversation and butted in, "Yeah, I was sleeping"

Okay, I don't know if the driver looked in the car when he first got there and left OR if he did and Bryce wasn't in the car ???"

The assumption is that Bryce called the driver back. How did Bryce know that the driver had come and gone? I think there might be another possible scenario. Speaking from my own experience as a former dispatcher for AAA, when a driver arrives at a disabled vehicle location and finds no one present, he contacts dispatch and reports this and will usually remain at the location for a few minutes while the dispatcher attempts to contact the customer. Based on available documentation (that I could find), this is not what happened with Bryce. I wonder if we have the correct scenario. It may not even be relevant, but it's something that's been constantly weighing on my mind.

I'd really appreciate clarification on this if anyone can provide it. (-:
I can only speak to my own experience when requesting help from AAA. I was sleeping in the truck (with three other people, BTW). The service person arrived, looked around the truck, had to have seen 3 people sleeping in the cab, and started to leave without knocking on the window, contacting anyone before getting in his vehicle and starting it up. There was, however a 4th person sleeping in the bed of my truck that heard the rescue vehicle start up and jumped out of the truck bed to stop him. The service person made some lame excuse about not being allowed to wake sleeping people or some idiotic thing that made no sense at all. (It came out later he was calling dispatch and saying there was no truck at the location) I don't know anything about the service person who brought Bryce gas, but from this particular personal experience, they don't always do exactly what they should, and that might include looking in the back of the car if Bryce was sleeping back there.

I'd like to know what time BL called for the service to deliver the gas and what time they arrived. IOW, how long did BL wait after calling for the gas to be delivered?[/QUOTE]

I know the time period was posted on either thread 1 or 2 but can't seem to find it. It was from Dragracezr with a time outline. As I recall it was a long period, about 3 hours.

hello - i've been following these threads from the beginning as it has really resonated with me for a few reasons. I'm new to posting, so i'm not sure if the above quote will appear correctly.
My son lived in the dorms with bryce and they were good friends. Watching my son worry has been hard, plus as a parent, with two kids away at college - you just worry about all the things that can happen.
I can speak to why my son choose sierra and the process. This is one of the few junior colleges that have a dorm, so the kids get the experience of living on campus without the price of a 4 year college. We have a great jc in our area (napa), but my son wanted to take that first step in living away from home. He didn't have a planned major, so a jc made sense and this one fit on many levels, especially with the dorms.
That being said, my son had to apply in may of the 2011 for a spot in the dorms starting in august 2011. There was a waitlist and we literally didn't get notified he got in until the day before move in. So getting a spot in the dorms has to be planned for well in advance.
Perhaps bryce choosing sierra wasn't so much about being as far from home while still in ca, but rather he wanted a jc with dorms.

welcome!!!!!!!

http://findbrycelaspisa.com/information.html

on left side of page, you can click on the envelope and send email

just do a cut and paste of your post

Please let us know when you do this.

I can do it for you if you want me to.

Thank you Flutterflies. I ended up opening a 'temporary' facebook account (the website opened a 'share' feature for me via Yahoo, but did not list an email address to send to). I sent a message via FB with basic details and contact info if needed.

Jumping off ...

Why would that road service driver with the gas even offer the statement/excuse: "maybe Bryce was sleeping"? Why would he even guess at BL's whereabouts or what BL was doing? If BL "wasn't by his car" when the service driver arrived, wasn't that enough of an explanation/excuse?

Here's a maybe scenario: BL was sitting and waiting in a cooler spot (under a tree or something) for the roadside assistance person, then fell asleep. When the service person arrived to see no one with the car, dispatch was called, but BL didn't hear the phone due to being in a deep sleep. He happened to wake up shortly after and saw the "missed call" on his phone.

The only thing I can think of as to why the road service driver would offer the guess that BL may have been sleeping, was maybe BL looked obviously sleepy, maybe yawning and looking bleary. Wasn't it stated that the driver said BL looked ok, but red-eyed?

FIND BRYCE LASPISA

MONDAY 9/23/13 VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED TO ASSIST WITH THE COMMAND CENTER AS WELL AS DISTRIBUTE FLYERS IN VALENCIA AND SAN FERNANDO. MEET AT STARBUCK'S STARTING AT 9AM
Thank you

Thank you Flutterflies. I ended up opening a 'temporary' facebook account (the website opened a 'share' feature for me via Yahoo, but did not list an email address to send to). I sent a message via FB with basic details and contact info if needed.

Great! You are welcome.

:seeya:

Another possible sighting?? Posted on "Find Bryce Laspisa" page:

My Grandpa Asked me to post this. He doesn't have a FB page. He does a lot of camping east coast. I hope his information helps!

Probable sighting of Bryce Laspisa

I may have encountered and spoke to this person September 17, Tuesday morning at about 5:30 AM. I was camping at Cape Blanco State Park on the southern Oregon coast when he approached me and asked for directions on how to exit the place. He said he had just come down off of a "ridge" which seemed strange because I couldn't place the ridge and it was dark and had been raining. He had short cropped reddish hair and wore pants and a white tank top style undershirt. He also had what appeared to be a hooded sweat shirt, but wasn't wearing it at the time. I gave him directions and he left.

I saw him again about 30 minutes later walking the road from the park toward US 101 as I drove to Port Orford. It's about 6 miles from the park to US 101 and about another 6 miles south on 101 to Port Orford. I returned from Port Orford to the park about two hours later, but did not see the individual along the road again.

The encounter seemed strange at the time, because of the early morning time and the fact that he didn't seem to know where he was at. He appeared to be in good health and not injured.

I contacted the LA sheriff's department and the Curry County sheriff after seeing the story in the LA Times tonight, Saturday Sept 21

If he had a tank top on they would have seen his large tattoo on his arm I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If he had a tank top on they would have seen his large tattoo on his arm I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The girl who posted this for her grandfather is checking with him regarding his shoes and whether he had a tattoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74