CA- Catholic Bishop. 69. found shot to death in his home in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, Feb. 18, 2023

Baba O'Riley

Reaction score

I'm new at doing this, so hope I'm doing this right. Some things stand out for me. The diocese issued a statement, never saying he was shot, but that he died "unexpectedly." LE has labeled the killing "suspicious". When is a shooting death NOT suspicious? Maybe if it's self-inflicted? Also, a statement that there is no threat to the public. How do they know there is no threat to the public unless they already know the circumstances surrounding his death??

Another thing of interest. The bishop was noted for serving the poor, but he lived in a 4-bedroom, 3-bath home worth $1.07 million.

Again, hoping I am doing this right as I am a novice at this.

<modsnip - for copyright - Members may link to a paywalled article so that others who have paid for a subscription or wish to get one can read the article.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing of interest. The bishop was noted for serving the poor, but he lived in a 4-bedroom, 3-bath home worth $1.07 million.
As a side note, and for context....

A very substantial number of Catholic priests and Bishops do not take vows of poverty. Rather, diocescian priests and bishops promoted from their ranks take vows of "simple life style".

Needless to say, Los Angeles is one of the most expensive areas in the country housing wise. A 1.07 million dollar home in Los Angeles does not indicate luxury- at all.

As to whether it indicates a "simple life style" for a senior clerical figure, I... dont know. The average home value in LA is evidently 900K.

Last edited:

I'm new at doing this, so hope I'm doing this right. Some things stand out for me. The diocese issued a statement, never saying he was shot, but that he died "unexpectedly." LE has labeled the killing "suspicious". When is a shooting death NOT suspicious? Maybe if it's self-inflicted? Also, a statement that there is no threat to the public. How do they know there is no threat to the public unless they already know the circumstances surrounding his death??

Again, hoping I am doing this right as I am a novice at this.

<modsnip - for copyright - Members may link to a paywalled article so that others who have paid for a subscription or wish to get one can read the article.>
Excellent post Baba O'Riley

Last edited by a moderator:
“This incident is being handled as a murder investigation,” the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department said in a brief statement. “There is no additional information available at this time.”

No mention of robbery as a motive. LE seems to be keeping info very close to the vest.

I've been following a thread on Twitter started by a priest who seems to know him. He had a lot of admirers. Folks who knew him seem very torn up and greatly saddened.

Article is behind a paywall for me.

About the house, imho a parish or the diocese owns the house, or the owner(s) donate(s) use to the parish.
Agree, and I understand many faiths also built homes, manses, rectories, personages/clergy houses etc beside the churches for their priests/pastors etc to to live in.

More here.
Local news station ktla.

"Bishop David O’Connell, 69, of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles was found dead inside his home in the 1500 block of Janlu Ave. just before 1 p.m., the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said.

When authorities arrived they found O’Connell dead from a single gunshot wound to the upper torso, officials said. While his death was considered suspicious, authorities confirmed on Sunday that they are investigating the shooting as a homicide. "

Also includes a statement by Archbishop Jose Gomez, and by Janice Hahn, Chair of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.

He lived in Hacienda Heights, on a quiet residential cul de sac street.

Last edited:
And more, updated 3 hrs ago;

Authorities have not said whether the bishop was targeted in the shooting or if his religion was a factor in the killing. The sheriff’s department would not say how or specifically where his body was discovered. The shooter — or shooters — remain at-large.

O’Connell worked in South Los Angeles for years and focused on gang intervention, Angelus News reported. He later sought to broker peace between residents and law enforcement following the violent 1992 uprising after a jury acquitted four white LA police officers in the beating of Rodney King, a Black man.

Nearly two decades later, O’Connell brought the San Gabriel Valley community together to rebuild a mission there after an arson attack and in recent years spearheaded Catholic efforts in the region to work with immigrant children and families from Central America.

As a side note, and for context....

A very substantial number of Catholic priests and Bishops do not take vows of poverty. Rather, diocescian priests and bishops promoted from their ranks take vows of "simple life style".

Needless to say, Los Angeles is one of the most expensive areas in the country housing wise. A 1.07 million dollar home in Los Angeles does not indicate luxury- at all.

As to whether it indicates a "simple life style" for a senior clerical figure, I... dont know. The average home value in LA is evidently 900K.
Yeah, especially since Hacienda Heights is in the hills. Friendly Hills and Hacienda Heights homes average for over a million.

From the LA Sheriff:

Robert Luna

@LACoSheriff
23h

My heart grieves after learning of the murder of Auxiliary Bishop David O’Connell. He lovingly served as a priest and Bishop in Los Angeles County for forty-five years. He was a peacemaker and had a passion serving those in need while improving our community.

Our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends. I have also offered our support to Archbishop Gomez and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The
@LASDHQ
is committed to arresting those responsible for this horrible crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back