CA- Catholic Bishop. 69. found shot to death in his home in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, Feb. 18, 2023

Depending on the area and market value, I wouldn't put too much stock in the 1.2 mill. house value, especially in CA ?
I do wonder if security cameras inside or outside of his home caught anything; or neighbor's cams/doorbell ring cams ?

Rest in peace , Bishop O'Connell.
My condolences to his loved ones.
It sounds like he was well-liked in the community.

Hoping LE are closing in on the perp. !

One law enforcement source said O'Connell was found dead in his bed of a single gunshot wound. Multiple law enforcement sources said the investigation so far has revealed no signs of forced entry at the Janlu Avenue home and the crime was not believed to be random.

Few details were immediately available on the arrest. The suspect, a man who was apprehended in Torrance, is tied to a woman with access to the bishop’s home, according to a source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss the case with the media. The L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, which is investigating the killing, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

One law enforcement source said O'Connell was found dead in his bed of a single gunshot wound. Multiple law enforcement sources said the investigation so far has revealed no signs of forced entry at the Janlu Avenue home and the crime was not believed to be random.

Few details were immediately available on the arrest. The suspect, a man who was apprehended in Torrance, is tied to a woman with access to the bishop’s home, according to a source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss the case with the media. The L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, which is investigating the killing, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

..."tied to a woman with access to the home"
what on earth was the perp's motive? Robbery, attempted robbery?
I guess we will know more at the PC.

This is so tragic.

..."tied to a woman with access to the home"
what on earth was the perp's motive? Robbery, attempted robbery?
I guess we will know more at the PC.

This is so tragic.

Just my guess, if the story of the woman is accurate. But, priests are known to have hired housekeepers. Maybe the one he had tended to talk of items seen in the home to others.

Depending on the area and market value, I wouldn't put too much stock in the 1.2 mill. house value, especially in CA ?
I do wonder if security cameras inside or outside of his home caught anything; or neighbor's cams/doorbell ring cams ?

Rest in peace , Bishop O'Connell.
My condolences to his loved ones.
It sounds like he was well-liked in the community.

Hoping LE are closing in on the perp. !

Good point. I'm sitting in a 1500 sf house that's supposedly worth $800,000 and my dad's 880 square foot house (built in the 50's) is estimated to be worth $620,000. Hacienda Heights is a tad more expensive.

And an arrest has been made:

Such a sad case.

An arrest has been made in connection to the death of Los Angeles Auxiliary Bishop David O'Connell, who was found dead in his Hacienda Heights home on Saturday.

The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department announced Monday morning an arrest was made and the Los Angeles Times reported a man in the city of Torrance was arrested, citing a law enforcement source.

Authorities told USA TODAY that Sheriff Robert Luna will hold a press conference to announce the details of the suspect and arrest at 3 p.m. PST.

Another thing of interest. The bishop was noted for serving the poor, but he lived in a 4-bedroom, 3-bath home worth $1.07 million.
House prices in the Los Angeles area may seem quite high compared to what many others are used to.

According to a quick peek at Zillow and Redfin the average price is about $900,000.00.

No one should be jumping to conclusions as to why the bishop was murdered, just because the VICTIM was a Catholic priest. The victim has not been accused of a crime as far as we know.
My first thought was it might be related to the gangs he was apparently trying to work with, as a peacekeeper.

ETA but I also wonder about the suspect's mental health. Armed, barricaded in a home.

To me, this has the markings of an assassination, and many of those - like the attempt on the Pope or John Lennon, etc, - are people with an obsession and disturbed mind.

JMO

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch the PST 3:00 presser online? TIA.
Possibly here, a local channel.

A video is included showing the growing memorial, and people speaking of his work and how he has helped individuals.
Seems he was very respected and loved.

My first thought was it might be related to the gangs he was apparently trying to work with, as a peacekeeper.

ETA but I also wonder about the suspect's mental health. Armed, barricaded in a home.

To me, this has the markings of an assassination, and many of those - like the attempt on the Pope or John Lennon, etc, - are people with an obsession and disturbed mind.

JMO

This is reportedly the connection

Few details were immediately available on the arrest. The suspect, a man who was apprehended in Torrance, is married to a woman who has been employed by the bishop, sources said, according to the linked article.

Does anyone know if it's possible to watch the PST 3:00 presser online? TIA.
From the Orange County article I just posted:

"The Sheriff’s Department originally said about a 3 p.m. Monday press conference: “Sheriff Luna to announce the arrest of the murder suspect of LA Archdiocese David O’Connell.” Minutes later, a new press release said a “person of interest” in the case was arrested."

To me, that means after the arrest, they didn't actually have enough proof to declare a suspect.

I don't think they'd hold a press conference to announce a POI.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back