CA - Chowchilla school bus: 26 kids & driver abducted, 15 July 1976

Rehabilitated my arse. I was 20 when this happened and remember it well. Those poor children.

Major nightmares for me as a kid while they were missing.
I was glued to the tv news.

I have been fortunate to have always had wonderful school bus drivers.

This man was an absolute angel to those children.
God bless him and I hope some day I can shake his hand in Heaven.

Nearly 40 years after receiving a life sentence for his role in the largest mass abduction in U.S. history, James Schoenfeld -- one of the three infamous Chowchilla school bus kidnappers -- will walk out of a California prison this week a free man.

[video=cnn;us/2015/08/02/chowchilla-kidnapper-paroled-california-pkg.kfsn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/02/us/chowchilla-kidnapper-paroled/index.html?sr=fbCNN112015chowchilla-kidnapper-paroled0213AMVODtopLink&linkId=18902610[/video]

What really gets me is they were originally given life sentences with no chance at parole. It was later reduced to possibility of parole because the kidnappers didn't physically hurt anyone.
Here we are years later and they have all three made parole.
I read the stories about how the kidnapping still effects the children as grown ups. How it effects their children. So sad.
IMO the sentence should never of been reduced because no physical harm was done. Broken bones heal. Emotional harm can last a life time.

What really gets me is they were originally given life sentences with no chance at parole. It was later reduced to possibility of parole because the kidnappers didn't physically hurt anyone.
Here we are years later and they have all three made parole.
I read the stories about how the kidnapping still effects the children as grown ups. How it effects their children. So sad.
IMO the sentence should never of been reduced because no physical harm was done. Broken bones heal. Emotional harm can last a life time.

Frederick Woods was just denied parole on Thursday.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cali...Kidnapping-to-Remain-in-Prison-351944801.html

The last of three men convicted of hijacking a school bus full of California children nearly four decades ago was denied parole for the 16th time on Thursday.

snip

Woods, 64, can apply for parole again in three years.

Not that it matters, but it's interesting....I went to Fresno State in 76-77. I ended up marrying a Fresnoid, and had my first baby. My BIL purchased land and a small farmhouse in Chowchilla (Dairyland) directly across the street from the school the kids were kidnapped from (but after the fact,) We lived there for a year and became good friends with the same bus driver, still driving the same bus route. He liked us and thanked us for our Christmas lights in the winter in the Tule Fog - because he could see where the intersection was. (Dairyland was probably 8 miles from downtown Chowchilla - our closest neighbor was another mile away at least, beyond fields. It was a 35 mile round trip to the closest big grocery store. REALLY in the sticks!) I never realized how isolated the area was until I lived across the street. Just my 2 cents. It must have been horrifying for those kids. (I can barely get on WS anymore- don't know why)

I remember this! Here's an article I just saw...

Parole recommended for inmate in 1976 school bus hijacking - Court TV

Mar. 25, 2022

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California parole commissioners on Friday recommended parole for the last of three men convicted of hijacking a school bus full of children for $5 million ransom in 1976.

The two commissioners decided Frederick Woods, now age 70, is no longer a danger to the public after previous panels had denied him parole 17 times.

The parole recommendation by Commissioner Patricia Cassady and Deputy Commissioner Keith Stanton could still be rejected by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Woods’ accomplices, brothers Richard and James Schoenfeld, were freed years ago. An appeals court ordered Richard Schoenfeld released in 2012, and former Gov. Jerry Brown paroled James Schoenfeld in 2015.

All three were from wealthy San Francisco Bay Area families when they kidnapped 26 children and their bus driver near Chowchilla.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back