Found Deceased CA - Crystal McCarthy, 37, belongings found under a bridge, Napa, 13 Dec 2021

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Napa woman Crystal McCarthy reported missing by police | Local News | napavalleyregister.com

61be866a1bf86.image.jpg

Crystal McCarthy was reported missing Tuesday morning after her boyfriend told police he had last seen and talked to her the night before, at their home in the 500 block of Lincoln Avenue, according to police Sgt. Pete Piersig. The boyfriend said he was working Monday evening and learned McCarthy was not home when he returned shortly after midnight.

A roommate of McCarthy and the boyfriend was home late Monday, and had spoken with McCarthy just before 9 p.m. that night when she asked about an umbrella during the tail end of a weekend rainstorm in the Bay Area, Piersig said in an email Saturday. Later, at about 10:30 p.m. Monday, the roommate received a food order McCarthy had placed, but assumed she was in her bedroom.

McCarthy’s boyfriend told police he searched the area early Tuesday morning and found some of her belongings near the western bank of the Napa River, under the Lincoln Avenue bridge a short distance from their home, Piersig reported.

[...]

Police detectives reported no activity on McCarthy’s bank accounts, and her cellphone was in her house. McCarthy also did not show up for work at a downtown business ...

As of late Saturday afternoon, McCarthy’s boyfriend, roommate, relatives and friends were cooperating fully with Napa Police detectives and foul play was not suspected, according to the department.

Witnesses told police that in recent months, McCarthy had befriended a homeless woman and brought food and beverages to her and others ... Heavy rain was falling Monday night ... and the Napa River tide was high around the time McCarthy was last seen ...
[...]

... McCarthy, who was described as 5 feet 4 inches, 155 pounds, with orange hair and green eyes. She does not have a vehicle.

Anyone with information about Crystal McCarthy or what she was doing on the night of Monday, Dec. 13, is asked to contact Napa Police Detective Brandt Keown at 707-257-9592 or bkeown@cityofnapa.org.

The area she went missing: 500 block Lincoln Ave & Lincoln Ave Bridge, Napa | Google Maps

Assuming the roommate's account is accurate, she left after 9 p.m.? Seems a little late for a food delivery. And, without her phone, food delivery on the way, in the middle of a rainstorm ...

I wonder what belongings were found. The umbrella? MOO

ETA: McCarthy had befriended a homeless woman and brought food and beverages to her and others ... Hmmm

From the article
A roommate of McCarthy and the boyfriend was home late Monday, and had spoken with McCarthy just before 9 p.m. that night when she asked about an umbrella during the tail end of a weekend rainstorm in the Bay Area, Piersig said in an email Saturday. Later, at about 10:30 p.m. Monday, the roommate received a food order McCarthy had placed, but assumed she was in her bedroom.
That doesn't really make sense. What did the roommate do with the food? Was the food gone? Roommate didn't tell her the food had arrived? MOO

From the article above, "foul play was not suspected." Why not? IMO, foul play should nearly always be on the list when someone is missing. This doesn't sound good, IMO.
Tuesday morning until now is too many days, IMO.
Also, this quote from above article -- sounds a bit ominous...
"found some of her belongings near the western bank of the Napa River, under the Lincoln Avenue bridge a short distance from their home, Piersig reported."

And her befriending a homeless woman -- did something happen there?
Oh, dear.
Hoping she's okay -- but no car? Did she meet someone? Get a ride somewhere? Not likely, IMO, especially with no phone. Is she dependent on medication? Not likely since it wasn't mentioned.

Not liking those found clothes on the bank of the river.
Questions, questions. Hoping she's okay... but SMH.

From the article above, "foul play was not suspected." Why not? IMO, foul play should nearly always be on the list when someone is missing. This doesn't sound good, IMO.
"found some of her belongings near the western bank of the Napa River, under the Lincoln Avenue bridge a short distance from their home, Piersig reported."

Oh, dear.
Hoping she's okay -- but no car? Did she meet someone? Get a ride somewhere? Not likely, IMO, especially with no phone. Is she dependent on medication? Not likely since it wasn't mentioned.

Yes, very concerning. The river bank there is sort of steep and with the rain could've been slippery. The water temperature of the Napa River is around 53 degrees, and survival for a short time is possible, but not for long:
Get Napa Napa River's water temperature for the week
TheChilling Truth About Cold Water

@borndem I'm trying to find where it was reported that clothes were found. I only see "belongings". According to her missing person flyer she was last seen wearing a blue hoodie and black pants. A hoodie to me sounds like something you put on over your head ( meaning not zip up), that would be hard to just fall off IMO. I know LE holds back info but I'm curious as to what kind of shoes she had on and were they located there as well? Very concerning. @PommyMommy Do your mapping magic girlfriend. LOL

Oh, dear.

I agree, foul play shoud be suspected! It's been too many days missing.

And as someone else pointed out, what did the roommate do with the food? Didn't she knock on the door and let her know that her food as there?

The bridge is right next to where she lived. It seems most likely that she ordered food (not expecting to be gone long) and went under the bridge to take her homeless friend something. That could explain her not taking her phone. It's so close to her home that she probably didn't expect to be gone more than a few minutes. Maybe the umbrella she asked about was what she was taking to the homeless friend. What happened from there is anyone's guess. Either she fell in the river or there was foul play perhaps.
ETA: I wish we knew what items of hers were found.

What is it like under the bridge on the west side? Is that a concrete platform of some sort? Is it flat or slanted down towards the water?
I've never actually walked down there, but I would imagine that there is a concrete foundation for the bridge on/near the banks. If she lived at River Pointe, there is a walking trail behind it that follows the river and one could go down to the waterside at several places. There are some homeless camps down there, so I'd also imagine that there are some well-worn paths going down.

p.s. Interesting, non-vital to this case, info: River Pointe is an unusual resort. The "cottages" are on wheels so that they can be removed in case of river flooding in that area. It has happened a few times over the years. It's a vacation resort and a little pricey, so maybe her home was somewhere else around there? There's not much else on the west bank there, though.

Last edited:
From the article
That doesn't really make sense. What did the roommate do with the food? Was the food gone? Roommate didn't tell her the food had arrived? MOO
Yes, same here. Did she call her name, knock on her bedroom door? Didn't she think it was a bit odd. That statement threw me, too. Odd.

@borndem I'm trying to find where it was reported that clothes were found. I only see "belongings". According to her missing person flyer she was last seen wearing a blue hoodie and black pants. A hoodie to me sounds like something you put on over your head ( meaning not zip up), that would be hard to just fall off IMO. I know LE holds back info but I'm curious as to what kind of shoes she had on and were they located there as well? Very concerning. @PommyMommy Do your mapping magic girlfriend. LOL

Don't look any more -- I read "belongings," and I *advertiser censored*-umed clothing.
Please, please, please forgive my horrible and scary assumption. So glad you asked, and I deeply apologize. Oh, I hope you didn't dig around very long. I am so sorry and embarrassed. :oops:

Don't look any more -- I read "belongings," and I *advertiser censored*-umed clothing.
Please, please, please forgive my horrible and scary assumption. So glad you asked, and I deeply apologize. Oh, I hope you didn't dig around very long. I am so sorry and embarrassed. :oops:

Oh @borndem please don't be sad - Dad's FB verifies umbrella and boots. (Hope I'm allowed to post that, or Mods will spank my *advertiser censored*-umed LOL).

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back