CA CA - Denise Kathleen Anderson, 22, Sacramento, 13 April 1971

I found evidence of a purse snatcher in the area from late 1968. Importantly, one of the victims had the same street address as Denise. Equally importantly, I don't know if the victim of the purse snatching and Denise had the same UNIT number in the apartment building but I can't see why it's not possible. Also, I don't see why it's not possible for the purse snatching to award the thief keys to the apartment. That's one of many questions I have that I hope websleuths can help with when it comes to this cold case.

Also, I think Joseph James DeAngelo was in the Sacramento area at both the time of the purse snatching and at the time of Denise's disappearance. Importantly, the purse snatching was of a serial nature according to the journalism at the time. It could be that Joseph James DeAngelo's pre-Visalia Ransacker days were spent snatching purses in Sacramento when he was a student.

Reasoning: Missing Person's Commentary: Denise Kathleen Anderson's Disappearance -- Newspaper Clippings

I found evidence of a purse snatcher in the area from late 1968. Importantly, one of the victims had the same street address as Denise. Equally importantly, I don't know if the victim of the purse snatching and Denise had the same UNIT number in the apartment building but I can't see why it's not possible. Also, I don't see why it's not possible for the purse snatching to award the thief keys to the apartment. That's one of many questions I have that I hope websleuths can help with when it comes to this cold case.

Also, I think Joseph James DeAngelo was in the Sacramento area at both the time of the purse snatching and at the time of Denise's disappearance. Importantly, the purse snatching was of a serial nature according to the journalism at the time. It could be that Joseph James DeAngelo's pre-Visalia Ransacker days were spent snatching purses in Sacramento when he was a student.

Reasoning: Missing Person's Commentary: Denise Kathleen Anderson's Disappearance -- Newspaper Clippings
Denise lived across the street from where the May 1973 victim who identified DeAngelo as her attacker was kidnapped

I also thought about Bundy, because she fits with his victimology and he confessed to have killed a woman in California, but as far as I know, he visited California in the summer of 1973: "During a trip to California on Republican Party business in the summer of 1973, Bundy rekindled his relationship with Brooks." Ted Bundy - Wikipedia Of course, he may have been there several times before and after, but I don't feel that's the case. Apparently, Denise didn't need her car to go to work, so the possibility of Bundy giving her ride is not very likely.

UncoolNegated, your research is amazing. I agree that one of the main suspects here must be DeAngelo. However, he left the bodies of most of his confirmed victims where he committed the murders (normally, at their homes), he didn't try to hide the corpses... so why this case was different? I'm not an expert in this guy (I only read Spanish edition of I'll be gone in the dark), so I don't really get why he is considered a suspect in missing people cases, because it appears he left them in the crime scene. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think that we can't forget Denise was an actress and a bank employer... I mean, she worked directly with the public (one way or the other), so it's possible someone who knew her had an obsession with her. It would be great to know her roommates and coworkers' opinions.

Interesting to note that Susan Marie Lynch was discovered murdered on July 31st 1971, found buried alive near East Levee Road, one-half mile north of Del Paso Road and 0.6 miles southwest of the dump site of Carol Beth Hilburn.
It's worth to mention she was not the only aspiring actress who disappeared and was connected to Thompson; according to Unidentified Wiki:
"Valerie Dee McDonald was last seen on November 9, 1980, leaving her apartment building with Michael John Hennessey, an ex con who had known ties to John Gordon Abbott and Philip A. Thompson, both former San Quentin inmates with violent criminal records. Hennessey had promised her a small role in a film, and Valerie, who was in the process of moving out at the time, had readily accepted. Her friends became worried when she never returned from the shoot, but were told that that the had to wait 72 hours before reporting her missing.
On October 3, 1991, partial skeletal remains were discovered along the Kettle River, near the US-Canada border, in Ferry County, Washington. The remains were identified as McDonald in November of 2001."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back