CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Derek Adam Seehausen
16x9

USC medical student missing since Tuesday

Police are seeking the public's help in finding a USC medical student who has been missing since Tuesday. Derek Adam Seehausen, 26, of Los Angeles, was seen around 9 p.m. that night by a friend in the 400 block of W. Glenoaks Boulevard in Glendale, police said, and was then seen withdrawing money from an ATM in Los Angeles about an hour and a half later. "The fact that he's gone and no one knows where he is is unusual," Los Angeles Police Department Detective Emily Raupp said Saturday. "He's a minute-to-minute type of person. He's always on time. He's always punctual."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+lanowblog+(L.A.+Now)

Family/friends have quite an internet presence going trying to find Derek.

So far I've found helpfindderek.com; twitter.com/helpfindderek; and a thread on Reddit (in the r/LosAngeles subreddit - link/discussion not allowed on WS)

From helpfindderek.com - a statement from his brother:

When Derek was 18 his father disappeared unexpectedly. This was not pre-empted by any sentiment outside of his father’s normal attitude. His father was found, after missing for several weeks, by relatives in the wilderness near a rest stop.

It appears that our father left without warning because of unhappiness, depression, or bipolar disorder. Ultimately, this happened again a few months later.

What this means for the search with Derek is that he has been exposed to someone close in his family disappearing without warning. Additionally, Derek has experienced someone close to him going to the outdoors when they disappear, and waiting there for extended periods of time.

Derek had an extraordinary affinity for the wilderness, hiking, rock climbing, and other outdoor scenic activities. As his brother, and in consulting with other members of our family, we believe there is a possibility of Derek being in the wilderness. He has prior family history and has been exposed to such actions as viable options when disappearing, and he has a particular interest in the outdoors.

Whether alive, or deceased, this possibility is large enough to explore. Anyone with the ability to help us in searching nearby outdoor scenic areas in the area around greater Los Angeles would be aiding us and the search greatly by devoting their time to walking trails and keeping their eyes open. If seen please contact the website immediately – we would like an initial approach to be from family or specific friends.

Saw a friend of his on another site trying get word out about Derek. Happy to see it's been posted here!

I'm worried for this kid and hoping he just took off for a breather.

Family needs to get lots of flyers up at as many trailheads as they possibly can. In SoCal there is a ton of hiking and wilderness. From the mountains to the hills to the desert to the beach.

Kind of OT, but before coming to WS I had no idea how many people go missing. It's amazing!

I wonder if this is stress related. I truly think he's okay somewhere just vegging out or went camping before school starts again, and doesn't realize anybody cares where he went.

Kind of OT, but before coming to WS I had no idea how many people go missing. It's amazing!

Same here...it was quite shocking to me to realize how many people can go missing every day....

I know of two different family friends who 'snapped' during med school and took off beczuse of stress. It is possible that he just needs a long break and I hope he is found soon. He needs some help and support.

From http://helpfindderek.com/facts-of-the-case/ ...
... Derek’s car has been accounted for.
... He is on foot.
... Derek has a family history of sudden disappearances
... Derek loved trails and nature, and we have reason to believe he took some mode of transportation <$200 before going into the woods or nature.
... Due to the official missing person status of the case, all official outlets have been searched (Jails, Hospitals, etc)
... Last known sighting was at Vons in Echo Park (1342 N. Alvarado) at 10:40pm 8/5/2014
... Any international locations are highly unlikely at this point.
... more to come

as a note, we have seen multiple reports from various news outlets that are incorrect regarding many facts of the case. Please refer to this website and DPS statements from USC, and any official statements from LAPD only as the official sources of information. The*family is here with us, and we are working with LAPD and USC DPS.

Thank you.
Derek’s Team

Family/friends have quite an internet presence going trying to find Derek.

So far I've found helpfindderek.com; twitter.com/helpfindderek; and a thread on Reddit (in the r/LosAngeles subreddit - link/discussion not allowed on WS)

From helpfindderek.com - a statement from his brother:

Kudos for them for being upfront about the family history - so often people are afraid to mention mental health issues, but it's critical in assessing likely behaviours. I really hope that he's emulating his father and is ok. It's a good website too, useful map.

Wonder how much money he took out and whether he intended to use it for travel or shelter.

Kudos for them for being upfront about the family history - so often people are afraid to mention mental health issues, but it's critical in assessing likely behaviours. I really hope that he's emulating his father and is ok. It's a good website too, useful map.

Wonder how much money he took out and whether he intended to use it for travel or shelter.

I think we were posting at the same time. I was wondering the same about his ATM withdrawal ... looking at the http://helpfindderek.com/facts-of-the-case/ it almost implies he withdrew $200 or less and they think he may have used it for transportation (this was just my take on the wording) ... I read somewhere (trying to find it again) that as far as they could tell he had only his wallet with him (no car keys, no phone).

I'm curious if Derek himself had an actual history of depression, suicidal tendencies or mental illness ... it doesn't seem that unusual for someone who has 'an extraordinary affinity' for hiking/wilderness/the outdoors to want to 'check out' for a bit ... I'm hoping that's all he did!

We've seen all sorts of outcomes on WS, and it's so scary. I always have bad feelings about the missing people who have a lot of stress going on. I really hope he's resting his brain somewhere. He's worked hard it appears.

Does having a family history of sudden disappearances mean that DEREK has suddenly disappeared before or that members of his family have and he may have a genetic disposition or been raised in an environment where taking some time out was the way to handle stress?

I wonder if this is stress related. I truly think he's okay somewhere just vegging out or went camping before school starts again, and doesn't realize anybody cares where he went.

I hope you're right, but the family has stated they fear he may be suicidal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back