CA CA - Donna Jean Miller, 16-20, my grandmother has been missing since around 1965

I searched on newspapers.com for an article About searching for her and came up with nothing. I tried a ton of variations of her name and missing wife searches between 1964-1968 for about an hour. But I also didn’t find any thing on Charles Michael Connelly, like marriage or divorce licenses listed in the paper when searching all his name options. My conclusion is that their local Newspaper is not archived on newspapers.com.

Hi @Samk2, welcome. I don't think Donna Miller was reported missing those days so the papers wouldn't have written about it. It's my believe @evangelicsphere recently started trying to find her, there is hardly evidence what really happened though, there are no people she/he can ask. We tried to establish some kind of time line through genealogy, with some open questions, still to be answered. I hope evangelicsphere comes back to the thread to answer them.

I have no evidence that this actually took place. having no evidence has kinda been a reoccurring theme in searching for my missing grandma.

For the newspaper archives...I don't know...never searched for this particular one, but I can image, being a local paper, this is not available on line. Maybe there is something to be found in the library.

The state where I currently live has a newspaper archive located on a university campus. They strive to have a copy of every newspaper ever published in the state.

In seeking Ms. Miller, looking for engagement & marriage announcements, social notices, can give us information about who Ms. Miller's friends & associates were. Depending on the size of the town, a 'social column' may have listed people who attended a baby shower for @evangelicsphere 's expectant grandma and what gifts they brought!

IIRC, we need our OP to get her Mom healthy, and set us up with some more information about the brief marriage of Donna & Mr. Connelly.

JMHO YMMV

Grandpa Rodger was kinda troubled. after mystery grandma left he became an alcoholic and smoked like a chimney. I've heard many storied from my mom about him teaching my mom how to cheat in poker and get away with it, or modifying the tv so he could watch *advertiser censored* without paying for it.
BBM:

Stop the bus.

Is this the same Grandpa Rodger who's been characterized as being a "fine young man?"

REALLY?

Because I'm seeing all sorts of red flags flying at full mast on this one.

JMO.

@evangelicsphere , how is your Mom, and have you made any discoveries that you can share?
my mother is starting to do better. she is currently wheelchair bound and I've been spending most my time helping my family with household chores and the things she normally did, but now I'm back, and I've learned something. mystery grandma was not born in California. my grandmother on my dad's side (she never met donna miller but was fairly good friends with my grandpa mike) told me Donna Miller was from Oregon. getting information from my grandma that isn't gossip is super hard, so most of the other things she's told me about Donna Miller was just rumor, but any sources are good.

A friend and I will be going to the library to search public records soon I'll let you know if I find anything.

Last edited:
another thing regarding the 23&me test. it came back but we weren't able to find any Millers using it. all it really told us is that we're definitely Irish. the only thing we could really take from that is Mystery grandma was probably also Irish.

I'm going to try to ask my grandma Jeanette some questions. any suggestions for questions will be appreciated. I'm not good at interview type things.

while writing this I was texting my mother. my mother tole me that she believes mystery grandma ran off with the liquor store clerk. which liquor store, what clerk, who he was, how my mom came to know this information is all a mystery. I swear getting straight answers is like pulling teeth when it comes to my family.

@evangelicsphere , so far we're more interested in Donna Jean while she was with Grandpa Roger & your Mom as a baby.

Their marriage license, I'd love to see that first of all. Where were they married, who signed as witnesses, was there a reception, was there a guest book?

Glad your Mom is doing better and you are back to seeking out Donna Jean!

Thanks, Laughing

another thing regarding the 23&me test. it came back but we weren't able to find any Millers using it. all it really told us is that we're definitely Irish. the only thing we could really take from that is Mystery grandma was probably also Irish.

I'm going to try to ask my grandma Jeanette some questions. any suggestions for questions will be appreciated. I'm not good at interview type things.

while writing this I was texting my mother. my mother tole me that she believes mystery grandma ran off with the liquor store clerk. which liquor store, what clerk, who he was, how my mom came to know this information is all a mystery. I swear getting straight answers is like pulling teeth when it comes to my family.
But any of the information your family members have regarding your mystery grandmother, assumptions, impressions, (seemingly negative) all came from the same source...Grandpa Mike, right?

I mean no disrespect to your Grandpa. It's just that your mom would have been too young to remember her and your other family members never actually met her.

I really hope you do file a missing person's report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back