September 15 -- arrived in NY
September 25 -- arrived in CA
October 4 -- rented vehicle @ Avis near LAX
October 5 -- told wife he was @ airport waiting to return to Hungary

He didn't return the RAV4
He didn't return to Hungary.

:thinking:

Snipped...

It's odd that he (seemingly) didn't rent a vehicle until the day before he was supposed to fly out. I suppose he might have wanted to do some site seeing on the last day of his trip, but I can't help feeling it was planned and that he had no intention of returning to Hungary. Why he wouldn't want to return, I don't know.

It's odd that he (seemingly) didn't rent a vehicle until the day before he was supposed to fly out. I suppose he might have wanted to do some site seeing on the last day of his trip, but I can't help feeling it was planned and that he had no intention of returning to Hungary. Why he wouldn't want to return, I don't know.

bbm That's a very good and valid point! Didn't even occur to me. So let's hope he left voluntarily and is alright somewhere.

I've been looking for Avis' policy on late returns. For late returns, they basically continue to charge the card plus a daily $10 fee, and at some point the missing car is looked for. But I couldn't find a determinant timeframe. In one case, a non-returned car was gone for 7 months (and out of state) before the rental car company took action. Perhaps Enrique's credit card should be reported stolen so charges can't continue against it.

However, it's possible he has a secret credit card and is paying for the rental, so there is no mystery or crime (from Avis' perspective). I'm not sure if they have privacy policies that keep LE from finding this type of info out without a subpoena.

My gut instinct says this guy had a car accident. Maybe he decided to take a drive after not being able to get a flight.

FAQ for Avis rentals
https://www.avis.com/en/customer-service/faqs/usa/rental-policies

Cross Border Rentals
Taking a car across a state border is generally not a problem. However, it's always best to inquire about any restrictions or fees that may apply if dropping the car at a different location. Inquire either at the location or simply contact us.
Into Canada:
• With advance arrangement and consent from Avis, certain cars may be rented from the United States and driven into Canada by U.S. residents. A Canadian non-resident insurance card may be required and is available at the Avis rental location.
Into Mexico:
• Driving U.S.-owned cars into Mexico is always prohibited.

Forms of Payment
Avis does not require a deposit to reserve a car. However, an Avis honored charge card must be presented at the time of rental. Acceptable charge cards are as follows:
Avis Charge Card
American Express
AT&T Capital
China Union Pay
Diner's Club International
Discover
GE Capital
JCB
MasterCard
Sears
Visa

Split Billing Option:
Avis also offers a split billing payment option which provides billing flexibility. Customers may split their rental charges on two separate credit/debit cards. In addition, corporate customers have the ability to charge counter products, optional services that are not covered as a company expense to a personal credit card. Customers who wish to split their rental charges on two separate credit/debit cards can choose to split the rental charges by one of the following ways:

A few more details here:

https://translate.google.ca/transla...viajaria-de-los-angeles-a-hungria&prev=search

Dr. Enrique Garibay Ruiz....
.........doctor in neuroscience and nuclear physics based in Hungary, who also has Spanish nationality and was a professor at Tecnológico de Monterrey on the campus of León, Guanajuato. (<<< MX???? Is THAT MEXICO?)

............was on a WAITING LIST for a flight

ETA: Can anyone translate??? https://youtu.be/qMc8XO-I9Wg

I watched the video and the TV news reporter mentioned this man has even had articles published by the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and everything seemed to be going fine in his life, especially family issues. What I totally agree with is AzPistonsGirl's comment no. 12 There is something very odd about a person with this educational background, quality of life in Hungary etc staying in a hostel which, for what I can see on its website, is geared towards backpackers (?!?).

This type of hostel tends to have all sorts of guests, from really decent people on vacation -but on a very limited budget though- to others running away from "unsavory" activities in other states.

LE needs to check CCTV cameras at the hostel to check if he spoke to someone who might have harmed him.

I still feel though there is some important information missing from this case, something media/relatives are not telling, sorry to say that.

recently painted rental car? What an odd detail.

Also, he was staying a hostel?... also odd perhaps, given what has been reported about Enrique.

And the topics he has written on and was seeking publication of include an awfully wide-ranging list of topics IMO - he is a "freelance scientist" (what is this? an unemployed scientist?) but has written about football? And it says he also came to the US to meet other scientists.... but also to see about getting published?

What has been reported seems odd IMO. I hope he is safe but I think there is something else going on.
I think the "painted car" and hostel could be due to a bad translation. One of the other articles says hotel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Snipped...
...&#8220;We have no leads, no anything,&#8221; Mercado said. &#8220;We know he was staying at a hostel on Western near Melrose. They guy we talked to at the hostel said he was very chatty, he didn&#8217;t seem depressed. The whole family is concerned because he has been missing.&#8221;

...The phone is turned off,&#8221; Mercado said. &#8220;The family believes he may have been in a car accident.

Read more: http://beverlypress.com/2017/10/authorities-seek-clues-about-man-gone-missing/

Snipped...
...Detectives entered the vehicle into a national stolen car database with the hope it will be found by law enforcement. The vehicle was not equipped with a tracking device.

Read more: http://beverlypress.com/2017/11/authorities-still-searching-for-missing-man/

I think the "painted car" and hostel could be due to a bad translation. One of the other articles says hotel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Melrose Hostel according to this article but the strange thing is that the numbers do not seem to match. The article states it is located at the 600 block and the website for the hostel indicates it is 646 -typo or the family is not 100% sure where he was staying? I do not know what to think :thinking: or 600 block means any number between 600 to 699? not sure how it works in the US): http://abc7.com/tourist-missing-for-over-a-month-last-heard-from-in-la/2658716/

[url]https://melrosehostel.com/

[/URL]

Yes, 646 would be in the 600 block. Often this vague addressing is used in the beginning of a case when an address hasn't been verified, or it's a residence. Later, the actual address will probably be used.

On Oct. 5 Enrique calls wife and tells her he is at LAX and is on waiting list and/or in waiting room for a flight home. LE should be able to determine what airlines were departing LAX that day for a flight to Hungary and If Enrique was on waiting list or in waiting room via surveillance video. Credit Card activity would show any ticket purchase for any flight home. If he was at LAX where did he park his rental car since he didn't return it to Avis. My gut feeling is that he was never at LAX waiting for a flight home

On Oct. 5 Enrique calls wife and tells her he is at LAX and is on waiting list and/or in waiting room for a flight home. LE should be able to determine what airlines were departing LAX that day for a flight to Hungary and If Enrique was on waiting list or in waiting room via surveillance video. Credit Card activity would show any ticket purchase for any flight home. If he was at LAX where did he park his rental car since he didn't return it to Avis. My gut feeling is that he was never at LAX waiting for a flight home
Righy. Of he was at LAX, he would be on video and they would see him board or leave. I'm not thinking he was ever there. And if he lied about where he was, that seems more indicative of choice rather than an accident or foul play.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tarabull, Guanajuato is in Mexico. Lol My grandfather was born there. It's a state in Mexico.

What is a world renown scientist doing staying in a $33 a night hostel?

Good question, where did he stay the night of Oct. 4th? And he had the car then.

I doubt he was at the airport waiting for a flight when he called his wife. His behavior seems odd.

As stated above, why would he wait til the last day to rent a car? Did he spend the night in it?

Did he drive around? Traffic near LAX is a nightmare. To be in an accident not witnessed or reported, he would have to have driven many miles to find mountains and curves to go for on and not be found.

There is a whole lot about this story that makes no sense. He's been missing 3 months now. How would he be living? Is there activity on credit cards? Did he have a lot of cash on him?

FWIW

The article says he was on a waiting list for a flight. Does it specifically say he was AT the airport waiting? Maybe they were going to call him when they could book a seat for him.

That hostel is FAR from LAX and would be extremely complicated to get to via public trans. He would have to drive and no matter what is likely at least a 30 min drive.

That hostel is FAR from LAX and would be extremely complicated to get to via public trans. He would have to drive and no matter what is likely at least a 30 min drive.

The hostel also had NO PARKING.

Regardless, it seems the rental was obtained after he stayed at the hostel....

The hostel also had NO PARKING.

Regardless, it seems the rental was obtained after he stayed at the hostel....

So he went from LAX to Hollywood (a trek) then back to LAX to rent a car, then the next day said he was waiting for flight? The back and forward is so confusing, there ARE rental facilities closer to his hostel (but I assume if you dont know an area the airport is known area to rent a car)

If he was on waitlist and not able to get a flight do you think he may have looked to try Burbank or Van Nuys airports and something happened on the way? Its not the most direct route but you CAN go through the hills to get to both and that would be dangerous as there are unrailed cliffs all around.

- Left Melrose Hostel on Oct 3
- Family noticed a charge on his card at Avis Rent a Car dated Oct 4
- Spoke with his family saying he was on a waiting list for a flight on Oct 5
- Family noticed a charge on his card at a Carl's Jr. restaurant on Oct 6

From link at Post #1

I apologize.

More details here

IE: The credit card charge for Carl&#8217;s Jr was 5625 W Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045 on Oct 6 at 3:21 am

ETA: There is AIRPORT PARKING right across the street from the Carl's Jr. https://goo.gl/maps/xStHHcQXk5Q2

More details here

IE: The credit card charge for Carl’s Jr was 5625 W Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045 on Oct 6 at 3:21 am

ETA: There is AIRPORT PARKING right across the street from the Carl's Jr. https://goo.gl/maps/xStHHcQXk5Q2

Im sure they searched the parking garage and others. I mean there is a chance they just havent found it but I feel thats one of the first things they'd do with the info they received.

How did he originally get to and from LAX before renting the car? Uber? taxi? are they able to track that and interview the driver to see if there was anything out of the ordinary?

I wish LAPD would confirm anything, theres so much not understood right now

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back