CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a central distribution center. Trucks come and go at all hours of the day and night. It was an Albertson’s distribution warehouse which was later bought out by SaveMart. I’m almost positive it was a Lucky Supermarket distribution warehouse before Albertson’s purchased them. They kept all the same employees each time the warehouse changed names.

Source: My house is a mile away. I pass by there regularly and have lived in the same neighborhood since 1994.

Ty for the feedback Suglo.

just wondering wrt to internal theft at Save Mart, what kind of items
would JJD have had the opportunity to obtain, in order to supplement his income.

Well he was stupid enough to shoplift and get caught but lucky they didn't look deeper at the time. I think he got someone to fence them for him. The whole thing with a fence is that it is illegal. He could also have pawned it or sold it privately too. The type of valuable items in the warrant list would always fetch a good price - he may have a safety deposit box even. ( I assume LE would have checked this).

MOO
There are "gold and silver" shops that buy old jewelry for the value of the metals and then melt it down. I suspect that's how he got rid of the jewelry that he stole. MOO.

Why do we — women in particular — love true crime books?

“Violent men unknown to me have occupied my mind all my adult life,” Michelle McNamara wrote in “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer.” Early in the book, she recounts a pivotal moment when she was 14 years old and a young female jogger was murdered near her home. Two days later, McNamara visited the spot where the body was found and picked up the remnants of the victim’s broken Walkman, holding them in her hands. “I felt no fear,” she wrote, “just an electric curiosity.”

This is the genesis of McNamara’s interest in true crime. In particular, it was the killer’s anonymity that haunted her. “I need to see his face,” she writes, slipping into present tense. “He loses his power when we know his face.”

Reading those lines, I felt the frisson of recognition. I’ve consumed true crime since first discovering “Helter Skelter” by Vincent Bugliosi in a used bookstore at age 9 or 10 and staring in fascination and horror at the crime-scene photos in the middle. And, while the primary focus of “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark” is the Golden State Killer, a ski-masked serial rapist and murderer who terrified the West Coast in the 1970s and ’80s, it also serves as an exploration of the intense attachment many of us have to true crime — in particular, women.

California Lawmakers Pass Budget Expanding Help For Poor

bbm

California's nearly $200 billion total budget includes $138.6 billion in general fund spending, $57.1 billion in special funds that must be spent for specific purposes and $3.9 billion in money from bonds.

As part of the budget negotiations, Brown and lawmakers agreed to allow victims of a notorious California serial killer to get a renewed chance to seek compensation for their emotional trauma or financial losses. Normally, victims have just three years to file with the California Victim Compensation Board for crimes, but the legislation would open a new window for victims to file claims after 72-year-old former police officer Joseph DeAngelo was charged in the Golden State Killer case.

That's great news!

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacrame...health-employees-fired-for-inappropriate.html

A Sutter Health spokesman confirmed that some health system employees were fired for accessing medical information without permission, after a television station reported that two employees were let go after searching the medical records of Joseph DeAngelo, the suspected Golden State Killer.

Sutter spokesman Gary Zavoral declined to state how many employees were fired, and whose medical records they allegedly looked up.

From your link:
"As part of the budget negotiations, Brown and lawmakers agreed to allow victims of a notorious California serial killer to get a renewed chance to seek compensation for their emotional trauma or financial losses. Normally, victims have just three years to file with the California Victim Compensation Board for crimes, but the legislation would open a new window for victims to file claims after 72-year-old former police officer Joseph DeAngelo was charged in the Golden State Killer case."

Would this be just for victims of the crimes for which he has been charged or all of them?

Regarding the victims of crimes--there is a trailer bill as part of the upcoming budget that would allow compensation to all the victims of DeAngelo. Because they specifically referenced the East Area Rapist, it would be assumed it is all crimes, but until the trailer bill is signed and published--wait, let me check legislative bills to see if it is there.

Here's a link to the San Francisco Chronicle's story about the budget and referencing the victims: California lawmakers OK budget with more money for schools, homelessness

The trailer bill reads as follows:

(2) Existing law provides for the compensation of victims and derivative victims of specified types of crimes by the California Victim Compensation Board from the Restitution Fund, a continuously appropriated fund, for specified losses suffered as a result of those crimes. Existing law requires an application for compensation to be filed within certain time periods, as specified. Existing law authorizes the board to grant an extension of time based on certain criteria, and requires the board, in making this determination, to consider, among other factors, whether the victim or derivative victim incurs emotional harm or a pecuniary loss while testifying during the prosecution or in the punishment of the person accused or convicted of the crime.
This bill would also require the board to consider, until December 31, 2019, whether the victim or derivative victim incurs emotional harm or a pecuniary loss as a result of the identification of the “East Area Rapist,” also known as the “Golden State Killer,” a person suspected of committing certain homicide and sexual assault crimes. The bill would specify, for purposes of this provision, that “emotional harm” includes, but is not limited to, harm incurred while preparing to testify. By expanding the scope of provisions authorizing certain uses of continuously appropriated funds, the bill would make an appropriation.

The entire trailer bill is on the California Legislative website: Bill Text - AB-1824 State government.

Last edited:
Podcast: The Golden State Killer and Genetic Privacy - National Constitution Center

Erin E. Murphy of New York University Law School and Andrea Roth of University of California Berkeley School of Law discuss the Golden State killer case and the future of genetic privacy with host Jeffrey Rosen. ...

This case – along with others that have followed - has raised privacy concerns, leading many to wonder what the future for genetic privacy is under the Fourth Amendment.

Posted June 21.

Golden State Killer case ushers in new era of fourth-party consent
Tuesday, July 3, 2018
[...]
PROTECTING FOURTH-PARTY PRIVACY
Our protection against government searches boils down to our conception of what constitutes a “reasonable expectation of privacy” in a given circumstance. Generally speaking, if someone has such an expectation, then the government needs to obtain a warrant or go through some other form of legal process to gain access to the desired information. Such access is regularly granted without any process in many instances because of the doctrine of third-party consent. This doctrine applies in situations where we’ve entrusted a third party with authority over a shared space – such as a shared apartment – or with particular information – such as with a phone or internet data.
[...]
None of this argument suggests that the police acted improperly in the Golden State Killer case – the world is clearly better off with the culprit behind bars. But even if we cheer the result, we should examine the process. Today’s outlier can easily become tomorrow’s norm, and before we adopt powerful new search capabilities, we should more carefully circumscribe how they will be used.
[...]

Golden State Killer case ushers in new era of fourth-party consent
Tuesday, July 3, 2018
[...]
PROTECTING FOURTH-PARTY PRIVACY
Our protection against government searches boils down to our conception of what constitutes a “reasonable expectation of privacy” in a given circumstance. Generally speaking, if someone has such an expectation, then the government needs to obtain a warrant or go through some other form of legal process to gain access to the desired information. Such access is regularly granted without any process in many instances because of the doctrine of third-party consent. This doctrine applies in situations where we’ve entrusted a third party with authority over a shared space – such as a shared apartment – or with particular information – such as with a phone or internet data.
[...]
None of this argument suggests that the police acted improperly in the Golden State Killer case – the world is clearly better off with the culprit behind bars. But even if we cheer the result, we should examine the process. Today’s outlier can easily become tomorrow’s norm, and before we adopt powerful new search capabilities, we should more carefully circumscribe how they will be used.
[...]

I couldn't even get to that article without subscribing - which I don't want to do

I think what FB did with user info is heralding in new requirements.

Geneology data is already public record ( births, marriages, deaths, census info etc.) so is not third party data.

I see it like driver and vehicle records , LE don't need warrants for that data.

AJMOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members