CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, where was he living when he committed the murders in Ventura, Irvine, etc.? I suppose they're still putting all this together, as they said, the case is still active.

JMO, the more I'm reading about these recent developments in these cases, the more I lean to them getting their tip via familial DNA through a database like Ancestry.com, 23&Me, etc. Just a hunch.

Ive never used any of those sites like that. Can you elaborate with a hypothetical how a site like that could somehow tie a killer like this?

I know LE had his DNA on file but how would a random person trying to find out about their heritage stumble onto something like this case?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ear11.jpg
    ear11.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 497
  • ear10.jpg
    ear10.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 497
Everybody is an expert once the case is solved. Unless a hammer and dog repellent was a part of his MO, I don’t see a red flag either.

It was a known part of his MO that he repeatedly broke into houses where dogs were present without being attacked. Sorry, I know there's always an element of Monday morning quarterbacking in these situations but I really think he should have been on the radar somewhere before 2018.

As far as the shoplifting conviction goes, IMO it had nothing to do with trying to hide his purchase, but everything with his need to be in charge and the excitement he got from getting away with stealing.

So glad they finally caught the little guy!

Sort of surprised that his anger issues were never detected while on police force. Even more surprised that the shoplifting arrest didn’t place him under high scrutiny at that time (as others here have also stated).

I sure hope LE is able to sort through other unsolved disappearances and murders because I’d put $$ that this guy has more to his credit than we are aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since he was a cop that committed a lot of these crimes while he was an active officer, could his victims from that period sue the police department for negligence in handling the case since he was amongst them all that time?

Two different police departments in two different cities. He worked for Auburn PD. It’s 30 miles from the area of Sacramento where he first started offending (Rancho Cordova).

Aren't all serving police officers' DNA on file for elimination purposes anyway? They attend crime scenes, it would surely be useful to have their DNA for that reason alone.

Now it is---but not in '79.

If he was born in '45, he was already 31 years old in '76 when the first known attacks began. Did he really start that late in life?

Maybe, just for the heck of it, look into unsolved murders / disappearences in california before, during and after. someone who kills isnt likely to stop killing all of a sudden.

Aren't all serving police officers' DNA on file for elimination purposes anyway? They attend crime scenes, it would surely be useful to have their DNA for that reason alone.

No idea wouldn't be the worst idea but that would still be such a long shot and would tie up so many resources, seems like the stats would make it not worth it? But I'm not 100% on the amount of timing and resources that are needed for forensic DNA matches.

during a spree of burglaries with injured dogs sprayed with repellant and hit possibly with a hammer. It would have raised my eyebrows. Maybe it never was reported properly? Beat cops vs detectives.

Sounds like at least somebody new.

Ive never used any of those sites like that. Can you elaborate with a hypothetical how a site like that could somehow tie a killer like this?

I know LE had his DNA on file but how would a random person trying to find out about their heritage stumble onto something like this case?

I'm not a geneticist, so I can't explain the fine points, but it would be similar to the way they recently identified the "Buckskin Girl" whose body was found back in the early 80's. LE can ask one of these services that maintain DNA databases from people who submit it. They're able to sort out which people whose DNA they have on file are a similar or "familial" match to the UID or killer. They then contact that person or persons and ask them to help identify who the killer might be. They'd have to go through a process of elimination, checking backgrounds, etc.

My other theory is that the recent tip (I recall the sheriff said they received it 6 days ago) came from another retired LEO who perhaps worked with him in the past and maybe always thought him hinky. Could have also been a former co-worker from another job.

Just guessing, but he may not have had a lot of close friends, so outside of his family, co-workers would be next in line as people who knew him.

Right around the time of the press conference today (noon PDT), I checked on Amazon to see the ranking of "I'll Be Gone in the Dark". It was ranked as the 6th most-read book on "Amazon's Charts".

Needless to say, this book has quickly gone to a "Best Seller" on Amazon!

Now, the hard-cover edition is temporarily out of stock.

As far as the shoplifting conviction goes, IMO it had nothing to do with trying to hide his purchase, but everything with his need to be in charge and the excitement he got from getting away with stealing.

Imho it's probably both, but I think what the poster said upthread about not wanting to purchase those items was likely the main motive behind the theft.

Bronk how are you not taking this in? I'll put it in capital letters, HE DID NOT BUY THESE ITEMS, HE ATTEMPTED TO STEAL THEM.

If that's not a red flag from a serving police officer, I don't know what is. If he wanted them for any law abiding purpose, or even any mildly illegal purpose, he would have just walked up to the cash register with them. The fact that he was prepared to run the risk of being caught shoplifting rather than have those purchases on record is the salient point here, not the items themselves.

I agree......No DNA back then, no technology like we have today, so good old fashion detective work....i know its hindsight, but most cops dont want to velieve one of their own is committing crimes, tgats why they get away with it so easy......guy goes into Pic n Save & sticks a hammer & can of dog repellent down his pants, & when he's confronted by store workers, he tried to run out the back door.

Two workers jump on him & tie him up on a chair & call the cops......he was steaming mad & furious because he got caught.

He knew he's cop career was basically over, although he plead not guilty & even took the stand in his own defense trying to talk.his way out of it.

Was found guilty & 6 months probation & a $100 fine.......the profile stated he had been in the military, possibly a cop, etc....hmm....I guess detectives didn't feel strongly enough about this suspect.

I'm not a hematologist, so I can't explain the fine points, but it would be similar to the way they recently identified the "Buckskin Girl" whose body was found back in the early 80's. LE can ask one of these services that maintain DNA databases from people who submit it. They're able to sort out which people whose DNA they have on file are a similar or "familial" match to the UID or killer. They then contact that person or persons and ask them to help identify who the killer might be. They'd have to go through a process of elimination, checking backgrounds, etc.

My other theory is that the recent tip (I recall the sheriff said they received it 6 days ago) came from another retired LEO who perhaps worked with him in the past and maybe always thought him hinky. Could have also been a former co-worker from another job.

Thanks for elaborating a little on that as I know those sites have helped lots of people connect with long lost relatives.

I didnt realize they maintain their own DNA databases and if they do then you are right that a scenario like that could be a way it could have been partially matched to a relative of his.

Familiar DNA is fascinating and DNA in general is one of the most amazing tools LE has.

Thanks again for trying to explain that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member