GUILTY CA - Eight killed, 1 injured in Seal Beach salon shooting, 12 Oct 2011

Seal Beach shootings: D.A. seeks to argue massacre's impact

SANTA ANA – Orange County prosecutors would argue that Scott Dekraai, if found guilty, deserves the death penalty in part because of the devastating impact that the Oct. 12, 2011, shooting deaths of eight people had on the Seal Beach community, according to court documents reviewed by The Orange County Register.

full article at link ..................http://www.ocregister.com/news/dekraai-351734-penalty-seal.html

Seal Beach shootings: Suspect pepper-sprayed in jail, official says

http://www.ocregister.com/news/dekraai-409559-amormino-jail.html

January 29, 2013

SANTA ANA – The Huntington Beach man accused of killing eight people at a Seal Beach beauty salon had to be pepper-sprayed and restrained when he became disruptive in the Theo Lacy Facility jail, according to a sheriff's spokesman.

Scott Evans Dekraai became angry Saturday and threw things at protective windows inside the jail, Jim Amormino of the Orange County Sheriff's Department said when asked about the incident.

A team of deputies armed with shields fired pepper balls and forcibly took Dekraai from his one-man cell, Amormino said. Dekraai charged at the deputies, who wrestled him to the ground, Amormino added.

Dekraai was transferred to the medical ward of the Intake and Release Center in the main jail in Santa Ana for a mental evaluation, Amormino said.

The boat accident was horrible, but ptsd as a defense is hogwash. He should have been locked up after the first threat. He seems like an arrogant chameleon who didn't get his way. Send him to death row with scott peterson.

A major development in the case. The judge has ordered two separate trials for Dekraai. The first trial will begin on June 9th and is expected to last no more than a couple weeks. If he is found guilty, there would be a delay, then a different jury will be selected to determine whether he gets the death penalty or not.

Dekraai's attorneys have said that he is willing to plead guilty and accept life without parole if the DA will take the death penalty off the table.

The judge will also rule at some point on whether the prosecution has engaged in misconduct in their use of jailhouse snitches who attempted to gather information from Dekraai about the murders. The judge himself may remove the death penalty from consideration.

http://losalamitos.patch.com/groups...-mass-murder-trial-to-be-split-into-two-parts

Defence have a motion to 'recuse' the OC DA's Office. :(

So who would prosecute the case, if that happened?

I wonder if his last victim's wife managed to hang onto her home? She was in danger of foreclosure a while ago, because of the financial effects of being widowed.

Here is the story. It's Paula Caouette whose husband was the final victim of the rampage. She'd known her husband since she was 12 and had to go out to work at 65 after she was widowed. He thought his insurance was still in operation, but it wasn't.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/caouette-597045-paul-shooting.html

I can't link it on WS, but the fundraiser set up to help her has only raised a tiny fraction of the total hoped for...but I am guessing that's helped Mrs Caouette stave off the crisis for a while, as she was due to lose her home in February.

I was thinking it might be better for her to move to an apartment or somewhere to end the worry, especially as she is attending this drawn out trial, but I suspect it would be a terrible, terrible wrench for her to leave the home she shared with her deceased husband for all those years. All she has left are her memories now he's gone.

Collateral damage indeed....

Media reports all say how the current hearings and defence motions will affect the eventual sentence for the 8 counts of felony, special circumstances murder.

With the guilty plea that'll mean a minimum 8 life sentences anyway, but I don't really understand the legal basis that means defence motions - about documents being withheld and informants etc - has an effect on the Judge's sentencing?

I wish we had an attorney on this thread because I know I'm missing something - all these legal wranglings and delays over what was always going to be a slam dunk case and which ( I suspect) Dekraai was always intending, eventually, to plead guilty to.....what on earth was it all about?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back