CA CA - Elijah 'Bear' Diaz, 20, El Cajon, 29 Aug 2015

Just watched Bear's Disappeared episode. I'm a type 1 diabetic myself so I sympathized with his health struggles. As much as I hate to say it, he is likely not alive based merely on his health condition. As a type 1 diabetic, you have a finite amount of time that you can survive without taking insulin. Every time you eat, your blood glucose will continue to mount, and that upward trend will continue unless you intervene, and eventually it will kill you. Even if you don't eat, your liver creates glucose on its own, so you still need small amounts of insulin even if you are fasting.

To be frank, it sounded like his diabetes was poorly managed based on what was said in the episode. The fact that he had to use crutches, was facing potential amputation, losing his vision, etc., at only 20 years old was shocking to me. That's extremely young to be having those complications, and probably an indicator that he didn't take great care of himself.

If he did run away of his own accord as some have suggested, there would have to be some sort of paper trail for his insulin prescriptions as that is a necessity? I'm sure the police have looked into that of course. A very bizarre, sad case.

Hello to all the followers of Bear Diaz. There has been no new leads or information at all. Family and friends do thank you for your continued prayers for a resolution to what has happened to Bear.
drownsoda - Yes Bear did have times when he was good at maintaining his diabetes and there were times when he wasn't so good. He was young, frustrated at times, and just plain tired of dealing with all the issues. As far as your suggestion about his insulin paper trail none of his doctors nor any pharmacy in our area has been asked to fill a prescription under his name. We wish you continued health and appreciate you watching the episode and taking the time to tell us your thoughts.

So some sad news to report- As you all may remember there was a second young man who went missing the next day after Bear had. Skylar Tosiac-his mother -Olivia Tosiac has suffered another great lost on April 6, 2018, her long time boyfriend Ukulele Ray Masters passed away. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you

Did Bear have a computer and, if so, was it checked? I get the feeling there is a connection between Bear and Skylar. The fact Skylar said he was with someone called Eli is a red flag for me. Bear might go by Eli online, and perhaps was communicating with Skylar or other's before his disappearance.

Is there a websleuths page for Skylar? I couldn't find one. Anyways...

Ok this may be a stretch, but after watching Bear's Disappeared Episode, I couldn't get the names Thaddeus and Eli out of my head, the friends who Skylar Tosic mentioned before vanishing soon after Bear. They are such unique names, I started to wonder what the odds that two people named Thaddeus and Eli hung out together and figured it's probably very rare. So I did a google search of the two names together to see if anything popped up. To my surprise I found this: Rainbow Family members arrested for camping atop Boulder library – The Denver Post. "Joshua Cole, Aaron Waldeck, Christine Hodge, Eli Dworking, Kirstin Humason, Salvatore Geloso and Thaddeus O’Hail were arrested for sleeping on top of the Boulder library."

So here we have a group of nomadic hippies, two of which are named Thaddeus and Eli, and they are also accompanied by two girls. Skylar mentioned 2 girls in his final text to his mother and implied they were about to travel somewhere. This group seems to travel around, and was just passing through boulder when they were arrested (I believe this was in 2009), it's not unheard of that they could have been in California at the time of Skylar and Bear's disappearance years later. Perhaps this is the group of people Skylar was planning on traveling with? Perhaps they know where he is. It's probably a coincidence, but man, a lot of red flags.

Even stranger, the "Rainbow Family" has alleged ties to Native Americans in that there was a rumor about them: "There has been a longstanding Rainbow rumor that the group is recognized by the elders of the Hopi people, or other Indigenous peoples of the Americas, as the fulfillment of a Native American prophecy, and that this excuses the cultural appropriation that is common in the group. This rumor was debunked as fakelore by Michael I. Niman in his 1997 People of the Rainbow: A Nomadic Utopia." This could have drawn Bear to them, or them to Bear.

There has also been known violence in the group during gatherings and apparantly they have their own form of justice they use outside of the law: "There have been incidents of theft, rape, stabbings and other violence. In an effort at self-policing and conflict resolution, Rainbow attendees have created a method they call "Shanti Sena," that involve peaceful nonviolent community response to issues. It is used in emergencies or serious conflict, as a call for help, and responders with a variety of skills show up to help facilitate a solution to the problem.[13]" Quotes taken from the wikipedia page: Rainbow Family - Wikipedia

EDIT: This actually seems more plausible than I realized. From: Skylar Peterson Tosic last seen in the hills near the Wild Animal Park – Missing Persons of America I now see that it is already suspected that he was brainwashed and joined the Rainbow Family. Knowing now that there are two Rainbow Family members named Thaddeus and Eli who were arrested in 2009 with two girls in Boulder makes that case even stronger. I'm now convinced this is the group of people Skylar left with. Who knows if foul play occurred afterwards or if he's just out living a nomadic, hippie-esque lifestyle with these people. It's possible Bear was lured to this lifestyle by these people as well, but Bear's case may also be unrelated.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Today marks 3 years that Elijah "Bear" Diaz has gone missing. It seems so long ago but at the same time It seems just like yesterday. Bear will forever be in my heart. His family as of now seems to know that one day the truth will all come out of the darkness and into the light. Somebody knows what happened that night. I would think that guilt and their conscious would be eating them up and they would spill their guts. At least that is my prayer. Let Bear's mother LeLanie and family and friends give him a proper burial.
LeLanie is very grateful that there are those who are watching the TV episode "Every Mother's Son" and who send their thoughts and prayers to her and her family.
The only thing that has changed in this situation is in April or May 2018 the Hookah Lounge has closed and is no longer in business.
Still no answers to our questions.
Once again thank you to all you sleuths.
Adele

To Bormaz two different cases. Bear did not know Skylar. We know all about the Rainbow people. Nothing to do with Bear's case tho.

Go to Olivia Tosiac's facebook page. She is trying to get somethings going on about drones and the missing. Tonight she is having an event here in San Diego, CA to talk about it. Check her out.

Is there a websleuths page for Skylar? I couldn't find one. Anyways...

Ok this may be a stretch, but after watching Bear's Disappeared Episode, I couldn't get the names Thaddeus and Eli out of my head, the friends who Skylar Tosic mentioned before vanishing soon after Bear. They are such unique names, I started to wonder what the odds that two people named Thaddeus and Eli hung out together and figured it's probably very rare. So I did a google search of the two names together to see if anything popped up. To my surprise I found this: Rainbow Family members arrested for camping atop Boulder library – The Denver Post. "Joshua Cole, Aaron Waldeck, Christine Hodge, Eli Dworking, Kirstin Humason, Salvatore Geloso and Thaddeus O’Hail were arrested for sleeping on top of the Boulder library."

So here we have a group of nomadic hippies, two of which are named Thaddeus and Eli, and they are also accompanied by two girls. Skylar mentioned 2 girls in his final text to his mother and implied they were about to travel somewhere. This group seems to travel around, and was just passing through boulder when they were arrested (I believe this was in 2009), it's not unheard of that they could have been in California at the time of Skylar and Bear's disappearance years later. Perhaps this is the group of people Skylar was planning on traveling with? Perhaps they know where he is. It's probably a coincidence, but man, a lot of red flags.

Even stranger, the "Rainbow Family" has alleged ties to Native Americans in that there was a rumor about them: "There has been a longstanding Rainbow rumor that the group is recognized by the elders of the Hopi people, or other Indigenous peoples of the Americas, as the fulfillment of a Native American prophecy, and that this excuses the cultural appropriation that is common in the group. This rumor was debunked as fakelore by Michael I. Niman in his 1997 People of the Rainbow: A Nomadic Utopia." This could have drawn Bear to them, or them to Bear.

There has also been known violence in the group during gatherings and apparantly they have their own form of justice they use outside of the law: "There have been incidents of theft, rape, stabbings and other violence. In an effort at self-policing and conflict resolution, Rainbow attendees have created a method they call "Shanti Sena," that involve peaceful nonviolent community response to issues. It is used in emergencies or serious conflict, as a call for help, and responders with a variety of skills show up to help facilitate a solution to the problem.[13]" Quotes taken from the wikipedia page: Rainbow Family - Wikipedia

EDIT: This actually seems more plausible than I realized. From: Skylar Peterson Tosic last seen in the hills near the Wild Animal Park – Missing Persons of America I now see that it is already suspected that he was brainwashed and joined the Rainbow Family. Knowing now that there are two Rainbow Family members named Thaddeus and Eli who were arrested in 2009 with two girls in Boulder makes that case even stronger. I'm now convinced this is the group of people Skylar left with. Who knows if foul play occurred afterwards or if he's just out living a nomadic, hippie-esque lifestyle with these people. It's possible Bear was lured to this lifestyle by these people as well, but Bear's case may also be unrelated.
THANK YOU

Did Bear have a computer and, if so, was it checked? I get the feeling there is a connection between Bear and Skylar. The fact Skylar said he was with someone called Eli is a red flag for me. Bear might go by Eli online, and perhaps was communicating with Skylar or other's before his disappearance.
Yes he had computer. Has been checked. Nothing to indicate he knew Skylar. Bear never used his name Elijah. In fact many friends and family didn't even know his name was Elijah til he went missing.

I only recently watched the disappeared episode for him. But my first thought was that some roommates or loungers found him either dead, or close to. Being young and in a panic over the situation and over the possibility of being in trouble (for drugs or that police would think they killed him), they used the crutches and bedding to make a stretcher and carried him out, or possibly the original intent was to drop him at a hospital with his things but he didn’t make it, and then they dumped him somewhere. Whoever stayed or came by the house during that time took his money and tv, or they took it after coming back to the house knowing he wasn’t going to need it anymore.

$10K reward posted in El Cajon missing-person case

Authorities announced a $10,000 reward today for information on the whereabouts of a member of the Barona Band of Mission Indians who went missing under suspicious circumstances 4 1/2 years ago.

Elijah "Bear'' Diaz of El Cajon disappeared in late summer 2015, 10 days after his 20th birthday, according to family members. On Aug. 29 of that year, his mother dropped him off about 10 p.m. at his home on Joey Avenue, near the intersection of North Mollison Avenue and Interstate 8.

Police found Diaz's 50-inch television set missing from his bedroom along with bedsheets and the contents of a safe, and determined that his cellphone had been turned off on Aug. 30, 2015, the day his mother reported him missing. At the time, Diaz, a diabetic, was using crutches due to a slow- healing injury on his left foot.

this hit me enough to be a first-time poster... his story resonates with me. I feel the sadness and lonliness of being sick as a senior in highschool and the sadness that you feel when your friends do not know how to handle having a sick friend so they slowly stop being your friend. Has anyone scoured his social media? I did a *shallow* dive and noticed that a xouple of his friends seem to only maintain their social media profiles as a means of posting "find bear" things. I would love to find him alive and well. Here's to hoping for his safe return! <3

Some thoughts on the case....
I saw a few references to Bear buying multiple vehicles? Were all of the cars accounted for as well as the keys? Was anything else missing besides the television and cash?
Do we have any information about his most recent cell phone communication? I am assuming the phone was never found, so did the authorities look through his phone records.
Why did he have 3 weeks worth of insulin in his backpack? I am not diabetic so I am unfamiliar with the normal care regimens.
I think the bedding was taken as a way of protecting the television during transportation, but the question remains, who was transporting it?
I know there has been speculation that this case may be related to Skylar's case, the one thing that really stands out to me is the new friend "Eli"... though it is a thin lead, it would be a super weird coincidence considering the proximity as well as the time frame.
In regards to the cell phone pings: do we know the exact time of the pings? do we know if Skylar's phone ever pinged in the same location?
I know it is not probable that the two cases are connected but I would rather investigate every theory and rule them out.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back