CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elizabeth Holmes plans to accuse ex-boyfriend and former business partner of abuse during her criminal trial, claiming he threw sharp objects at her and controlled how she ate and dressed

Well. It should be a cozy trial. Elizabeth Theranos is going to play "Dependent Personality Disorder". The abusive BF was in control. I didn't know anything about anything. Poor me, I am pregnant.

It will probably work.
Ugh. So, he forced her to dress like Steve Jobs and drink those green concoctions? BS. She thought her act made her unique and quirky but she’s simply unoriginal and, despite getting into Stanford, not very smart. She’s so full of herself. A lying con artist.

There was a new prosecution pleading that I saw today on Twitter, but I've lost it. Can anyone find it? It involved a witness who was called by the prosecution but plans to plead the fifth. The prosecution plans to compel testimony.

Later: Found it....
https://twitter.com/doratki/status/1436863965846405125/photo/1

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if she knew that the company was fake.

How do people run "fake" companies? The corporations are completely fake. Theranos did not produce tests that had any type of validity. Not unlike Bernie Madoff's company, which was nothing but a house of cards, waiting to fall.

Interesting. I wonder if she knew that the company was fake.

How do people run "fake" companies? The corporations are completely fake. Theranos did not produce tests that had any type of validity. Not unlike Bernie Madoff's company, which was nothing but a house of cards, waiting to fall.
Despite her apparent lack of biomedical/chemistry education, I find it hard to believe that she didn't know that her company could not deliver on it's promises. I'm sure she got regular updates and chose to keep up the charade, because she was making good money charming wealthy investors with her promises. Notice how there was no peer reviews, or anyone on the board with the scientific background to call it out? It wasn't until the Wall Street Journal reporter wrote his article that brought all the fraud to light.

Despite her apparent lack of biomedical/chemistry education, I find it hard to believe that she didn't know that her company could not deliver on it's promises. I'm sure she got regular updates and chose to keep up the charade, because she was making good money charming wealthy investors with her promises. Notice how there was no peer reviews, or anyone on the board with the scientific background to call it out? It wasn't until the Wall Street Journal reporter wrote his article that brought all the fraud to light.
Phyllis Gardner also told her what she wanted wasn't possible. Phyllis Gardner is a professor at Stanford, had worked in corporations for many years, had a niche specialty in medical patches, etc. etc.
Great interview here: Dr Phyllis Gardner, Stanford professor and Theranos critic: "I'll only really feel good if she's convicted"

IMO It wouldn't take any chemistry knowledge for EH to figure out that the Theranos fantasy wouldn't work. A. People were telling her, including her own staff; B. Bulwani tried to rein her in from making up stories (see Bad Blood: the Final Chapter Podcast by Carreyrou, Chapter 3, "Sunny and Elizabeth"; C. there was a significant #### of wildly incorrect test results; and D. if you're having to dilute a drop of blood enough to run a gazillion tests on it, the odds of contamination/too little of the sample/inaccuracy are huge.
ETC.

To understand how patents figured in the Theranos rise and fall, I'm looking at a patent filed by EH and her team, and I have a few questions about patents in general.

When you file a patent for a machine, do you have to have a machine in hand? Or can it just be a blueprint? Does it have to work?

Also, is it possible to patent a process? Do you have to have already performed the process? Or do you only have to have dreamed it up? Could I, for instance, have a fantasy about a process for baking a cake (delusional, in my case) and patent it?

This is a sample EH et al. patent I am looking at, filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization on 8-21-2014, #WO 2014/127379 Al

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/fe/19/3b/5afe05ba2db513/WO2014127379A1.pdf

Phyllis Gardner also told her what she wanted wasn't possible. Phyllis Gardner is a professor at Stanford, had worked in corporations for many years, had a niche specialty in medical patches, etc. etc.
Great interview here: Dr Phyllis Gardner, Stanford professor and Theranos critic: "I'll only really feel good if she's convicted"

IMO It wouldn't take any chemistry knowledge for EH to figure out that the Theranos fantasy wouldn't work. A. People were telling her, including her own staff; B. Bulwani tried to rein her in from making up stories (see Bad Blood: the Final Chapter Podcast by Carreyrou, Chapter 3, "Sunny and Elizabeth"; C. there was a significant #### of wildly incorrect test results; and D. if you're having to dilute a drop of blood enough to run a gazillion tests on it, the odds of contamination/too little of the sample/inaccuracy are huge.
ETC.
She also regularly threatened lawsuits against anyone who dared to speak out about the fraud. There was at least one Doctor who was very upset about patients getting bad blood test results. She was threatened and IIRC someone (maybe Bulwani?) even went and sat in the waiting room of her office, just in case she didn’t take the email threat seriously. It helped that they had David Boises on the board and as Counsel because his killer reputation was enough to scare most people out of revealing what was going on.

https://twitter.com/doratki/status/1437498724415016962?s=20

Today Judge Davila denied Sunny Balwani's request for two reserved seats in the courtroom for his attorneys to watch the Elizabeth Holmes trial. The judge rubber stamped Balwani's motion with a "DENIED" and nothing more. Lol, I've never seen that before.

can anyone advise me how to make the tweet embed? TIA

Tuesday, Sept. 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9am PT) - CA – for *Elizabeth A. Holmes (34/now 37) (CEO of Theranos) charged (March, 2018) & indicted (6/14/18) & arraigned (6/15/18) with 9 counts of wire fraud & 2 counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and charged & indicted (4/11/20) with fraud relating to a patient's blood test. Another count of wire fraud was added in 2020, bringing the total number of felony charges to 12. Plead not guilty. No bond. Faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison & up to $2.75 million in fines, plus restitution, & $250K for each individual count of wire fraud & conspiracy.
Defrauding investors out of $700 million in funding for their blood-testing startup Theranos.
Trial began on 8/31/21 with jury selection. 12 jurors of 7 men & 5 women (6 Caucasians, 4 Hispanics & 2 Asians) with five alternates (2 men & 3 women)
Trial began on 9/8/21.
The Court trial days will be Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday, possibly other half days. The Court may modify the trial time & set either 8:30am-2pm or 9am-2pm & possibly 30-minute breaks in between. Judge Edward J. Davila presiding. Jury selection on 8/31 & 9/1, trial dates 9/8, 9/10, 9/14, 9/15, 9/17, 9/21, 9/22, 9/24, 9/28, 9/29, 10/1, 10/5, 10/6, 10/8, 10/12, 10/13, 10/15, 10/19, 10/20, 10/22, 10/26 so far.

Indictment & court info from 4/11/20 thru 8/26/21 & jury selection (Day 1-3) 8/31/21 to 9/2/21 reference post #434 here:
CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

9/8/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 1: The state has 181 witnesses. Judge Edward J. Davila is on the bench. He's reminding each side that they need to object during trial & not outside the presence of the jury. Prosecutors say they expect their opening statements today to go 45-50 minutes, while Holmes' counsel say openings will be "about two hours." Judge Davila is back on the bench. He says juror number 7-who is 19-years-old-said her employer won't pay her for jury service. The judge called her into the courtroom & she says she has to work to help her mom pay bills. The attorneys suggest that Juror No. 7 continue to serve today & decide at the end of the day whether to excuse her. The judge agrees & says he'll ask the juror to call her boss during a break to try to shift her schedule. "Maybe that will solve things," the judge says. The judge called in the jury & he's instructed them, noting that the jury should not speculate why the gov't case against Balwani is not at issue in this trial. With that, prosecutor Robert Leach is up with openings. And defense attorney Lance Wade gave opening statements. Break. Juror 7 told the clerk her boss won't be back until Friday. "We'll chat with her again at the break when we finish," the judge says & calls in the jury.
The government calls its first witness: Theranos' controller So Han Spivey, aka Danise Yam. Robert Leach is up on direct examination. The prosecutor wrapped trial for the day by pointing out Theranos' losses were $11.46 million in 2009, $16.2 million in 2010 and $27.5 million in 2011. The judge is admonishing the jury, asking them to disable notifications on their phone to avoid unwanted 'exposure to info.'
Judge Davila keeps juror no 7. The juror says she shifted her Fri schedule and hopes to talk to her boss about moving it for the rest of trial. "It looks like she's making great efforts to see if she can rearrange things, we'll see what happens on Friday," the judge says.
In an emergency Zoom hearing late Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Edward Davila told attorneys for Holmes & the government that he had received an email from Juror #9 on Thursday indicating he may have been exposed over the holiday weekend but was not experiencing symptoms. Judge Davila canceled tomorrow's trial day (9/10/21) & assuming the juror's COVID-19 test comes back negative over the weekend will be back in court Tuesday morning, 9/14/21. Also motion for ex parte application to be heard on 9/14/21.
9/13/21: Today Judge Davila denied Balwani's request for two reserved seats in the courtroom for his attorneys to watch the Holmes trial.

*Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani (53/now 56) (CFO & President of Theranos) – Intervenors motion hearing on 8/26/21 & trial set to begin on 1/11/22 with jury selection & trial starts on 1/18/22.

The entitlement is unbelievable!
IMO this whole trial is about entitlement. Other things, too—IMO young/blonde/white/female privilege, Silicon Valley business practices, narcissism, "where money is king", big brand corporate competitiveness, old white men who used to run the world and now have only money for power, the virtues and traps of "new paradigms"—but definitely entitlement.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. Sorry for the delay in delivering the tweets, I forgot to set my alarm didn't I...argh!!

(@AuntieCipation--Sorry, I have no idea how to embed the tweets either. I used to be able to do it in other threads when posting the tweets but for some reason it isn't working now. )

Dorothy Atkins@doratki
·
Sep 12

In a filing today, prosecutors in US v. Elizabeth Holmes asked the judge to grant immunity to ex-Theranos employee Surekha Gangakhedkar, who the feds want to question re Theranos allegedly threatening employees. Gangakhedkar invoked the 5th Amendment and doesn't want to testify.

Dorothy Atkins
@doratki·
Sep 14

Today Judge Davila denied Sunny Balwani's request for two reserved seats in the courtroom for his attorneys to watch the Elizabeth Holmes trial. The judge rubber stamped Balwani's motion with a "DENIED" and nothing more. Lol, I've never seen that before.

(Image has been posted by another member in a previous post)

Dorothy Atkins@doratk·
6h

It’s just past 7 a.m. and I'm outside the San Jose federal courthouse for day 2 of testimony in US v Elizabeth Holmes. The line is small this morning w/ no Holmes look-alikes. Balwani’s counsel is here, along with the small group of press who will be covering this trial daily.

E_QGMglXMAMXyxq

Dorothy Atkins@doratki·
6h

A woman in line behind me said this is the 4th time she’s showed up trying to get a seat in the courtroom. The last three times she was turned away, she says. The guy in front of me tells her she should get a seat today, b/c “there’s an Apple event,” and everyone’s covering it.

Dorothy Atkins@doratki·
6h

“Oh good,” she replies. She owns Apple stock - we are in San Jose after all - and she hope it goes up today. Now the guy in from of me is explaining Judge GR’s Epic v Apple decision. (Good lord, let me inside this courthouse.)

Dorothy Atkins@doratki·
6h

The lady behind me in line was raised on a chicken farm in New Jersey and is a fan, but not a “fan fan” of Bruce Springsteen. “Last time I was here I tried to get to the front of the line and they literally kicked my butt,” she says. (I now remember her and there was no kicking.)

Dorothy Atkins@doratki·
6h

A guy in front of me in line says he was the last person to get a seat in court last week, and once everyone behind him realized that, a big argument broke out b/w people accusing others of jumping the line.

Dorothy Atkins@doratki·
6h

Apparently one woman accused a guy in front of her of skipping the line, and in the words of one reporter, she was “going 51/50” when she realized she wouldn’t make it inside, which I find hilarious. (Look it up.)

Dorothy Atkins@doratki·
5h

Elizabeth Holmes has arrived and the woman behind me is clapping for her as she approaches security. “Congratulations on your little boy, you’re a good mom,” the woman tells Holmes. “Putting everything on one person is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Dorothy Atkins@doratki·
5h

The woman behind me who grew up in NJ is a spectator. “Don’t forget the Me Too Movement,” she shouts as jurors wait to go through security. A man in a suit behind her tells her to be quiet, bc she could cause a mistrial. This may be her only day attending court, she replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects