CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for this trial to begin.

Here's mid-November court rulings: Elizabeth Holmes' plan to avoid her Theranos fraud trial worked out about as well as her useless blood-testing machines

I actually find this amusing. EH wanted to be declared mentally incapacitated as determined by a psychologist of her choosing. So, the prosecutors go, "in that case we want 2 psychiatrists—who will also be expert witnesses in the trial—to examine EH extensively." The judge said yes to the prosecution; they get 2 psychiatrists for 2 whole days with EH. Bam!

If only they'd get Janeen DeMarte... My excitement about this trial will escalate a thousand fold.

I also love how this article begins, "Theranos mastermind Elizabeth Holmes..."

I can't wait for this trial to begin.

Here's mid-November court rulings: Elizabeth Holmes' plan to avoid her Theranos fraud trial worked out about as well as her useless blood-testing machines

I actually find this amusing. EH wanted to be declared mentally incapacitated as determined by a psychologist of her choosing. So, the prosecutors go, "in that case we want 2 psychiatrists—who will also be expert witnesses in the trial—to examine EH extensively." The judge said yes to the prosecution; they get 2 psychiatrists for 2 whole days with EH. Bam!

If only they'd get Janeen DeMarte... My excitement about this trial will escalate a thousand fold.

I also love how this article begins, "Theranos mastermind Elizabeth Holmes..."

Everything you just said! I am REALLY hoping we get some audio of both 'voices' too. THAT will say so very much about Ms. Mastermind. Oh- I also want her transcripts from college.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Holmes Tried Six Ways to Get Out of Going to Trial, and a Judge Denied All Six

From that link:

"...uncanny humanoid impersonator Elizabeth Holmes"

LOL

I love that SNL Chloe Fineman's impression of Holmes, that made me laugh.

Oh, dear, yes: the transcripts.

EH was a very mediocre student, IMO. It's unclear to me how she got into Stanford, but I'll do some digging.

I am thinking her daddy paid for her to get in, his being an Enron VP.

After being in healthcare B2B for almost ten years now, one of which publications is targeted towards medical lab workers, I was exposed to Holmes and Theranos when I got on board with my employer in 2011 before the whisle was blown on her. I am interested in reading "Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup". She has the eyes of a sociopath/psychopath and that carefully modulated baritone is just too creepy.

Snakeoil salespeople.....

Another name I was routinely exposed to at work was Martin Shkreli, another Ponzi schemer.

So yeah my day job has had its moments over the last nine plus years.....

From that link:

"...uncanny humanoid impersonator Elizabeth Holmes"

LOL

I love that SNL Chloe Fineman's impression of Holmes, that made me laugh.

I am thinking her daddy paid for her to get in, his being an Enron VP.

After being in healthcare B2B for almost ten years now, one of which publications is targeted towards medical lab workers, I was exposed to Holmes and Theranos when I got on board with my employer in 2011 before the whisle was blown on her. I am interested in reading "Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup". She has the eyes of a sociopath/psychopath and that carefully modulated baritone is just too creepy.

Snakeoil salespeople.....

Another name I was routinely exposed to at work was Martin Shkreli, another Ponzi schemer.

So yeah my day job has had its moments over the last nine plus years.....

That does sound like a very interesting set of "exposures"! You are going to be very helpful as we get the blow-by-blow at trial.

I almost never buy books. However, I get so intrigued by women cons (why oh why?), that I bought the Kindle version and read it on a camping trip. I couldn't put it down. Brilliantly written (a rarity these days) and spell-binding. IMO it's a must-read heading into the trial: it presents the many nooks and crannies).

Yep, almost certainly someone's Daddy bought EH's Stanford entrance. There was already hinky going with her trip to China. And I'll bet all the brouhaha about her Mandarin is misplaced. Has anyone even heard her speak it?

Have you ever heard EH talk about the chemistry of her product? LMAO it's a whole bunch of words! Meaningless. Not the way a scientist would talk at all. I'll try and find a video.

Got it! Have a great laugh: This may be the quote that doomed $9 billion startup Theranos
She told The New Yorker that “a chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel.”

Last edited:
Holmes and history of low grades:

Holmes' parents tried a "back door" tactic to get her in to Stanford. As he explained, "She was a fair student with low grades. Her parents heard through their channels that she could improve her chances if she took a summer program there and learned a language. While in high school, they put her into a summer program at Stanford to study Mandarin."

4 Startling Insights Into Elizabeth Holmes From Psychiatrist Who's Known Her Since Childhood

First off - Thank you @RickshawFan for linking this thread from the Sentencing one! I remember this woman!

also in the article you posted above.

Elizabeth Holmes' plan to avoid her Theranos fraud trial worked out about as well as her useless blood-testing machines

Not Janeen DeMarte...

In a filing, Holmes’ legal team said it would introduce evidence of a “mental disease or defect” that would have a “bearing on the issue of guilt.” It said it would use testimony from psychologist Mindy Mechanic, who is based at California State University at Fullerton and who specializes in the psychosocial consequences of trauma with a focus on violence against women.

Following this one now!

When is the next hearing - @Seattle1 - you seem to come up with articles with dates in them! TIA! :)

edited to add - how old is Balwani? TIA!

Last edited:
It says that's the defense psychologist, though, @Niner. We need the fab Dr. DeMarte for the prosecution.
Do we know the prosecutors in this case? I'm thinking maybe not, because of these white-collar charges. That's kind of a specialty niche.

Balwani is VERY old, as in 55. But he looks a lot older. Creepy IMO. Am I allowed to say stuff like that about a defendant?

But no worries, Bulwani is very much EH's ex, since she has now hooked up with (quickie marriage) the scion of the Evans Hotel Group, i.e. the gullible and youthful Billie Evans. His family is aghast, thinking that EH is leading him astray with 1000 machinations. EH seems to have "robbed the cradle" to their chagrin. They are not the only on, evidently.

This would be someone touché, since EH's family was evidently aghast when she hooked up with the way-older Bulwani when she was 18 or 19.

So, here are the relevant sources. Note that there are few MSM articles that aren't snarky.

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes is reportedly engaged to a 27-year-old hotel heir. Here's what we know about their relationship.

Elizabeth Holmes is engaged to hotel heir Billy Evans, who works at a driverless car start-up | Daily Mail Online

In a filing, Holmes’ legal team said it would introduce evidence of a “mental disease or defect” that would have a “bearing on the issue of guilt.” It said it would use testimony from psychologist Mindy Mechanic, who is based at California State University at Fullerton and who specializes in the psychosocial consequences of trauma with a focus on violence against women.
Snipped for focus.
Is that Mindy Mechanic's real name?
I think that employing a psychologist named Mindy Mechanic might be unfortunate. If I were a jury member, I might make a mind-leap to "manipulation". Or further still, a car mechanic, not, by any stretch, a genius engineer, which is what EH claimed she was. Or else, "mechanical" in the sense of flat affect and zero empathy. These qualities would highlight EH's personality in unflattering ways; they are attributes she's often accused of. I think a sensible defense would want to avoid attracting attention to them. True, it's not EH's name, but humans readily make associations that are current in the air. The ideas are suggestive, and humans are suggestible. The defense will have zero control over this.
I will give another relevant example in my next post, so I don't lose this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member