CA CA - Elizabeth Short 'Black Dahlia', 22, Los Angeles, 15 Jan 1947

Jodibug said:
I'm planning to see it sometime this weekend.
Let me know how it is. I want to see it SO bad! I may go one day when I take my son to school and see a matinee.

blueclouds said:
Just a tidbit of info, John Huston is Angelica Huston's father. I bet she has some tragic & dark secrets. :(

Isn't all Hollywood tragic and dark secrets?

Kathy C said:
I don't consider the book "wordy." It was suspenseful and analytical. Of course, the worst part of it is when he reveals how the Black Dahlia was tortured before being killed...
Kathy C

What type of torture was she subjected to? I know virtually nothing about this case.

After speaking to several people who were under the wrong impression I thought I would post this....

Anyone planning to see the movie this weekend should keep in mind that the movie is based on the novel by James Ellroy which is FICTION

While he may have interesting theories it is still what it is... fiction very loosely based on facts.

michelle said:
Is there a movie out about this case? I thought I heard one time that "L.A. Confidential" or something like that was about this????
James Ellroy did the documentary movie L.A. Confidential, it also talks about his mother's unsolved murder. It was a really good film and I think it hits straight home who the black Dahlia's killer was, their suspect in the movie. Believe it or not, Nick Nolte is in the film, as he is very interested in true crime, I had no idea.

saw the movie, & now i'm confused....a lot of things happen in the movie, so i found it a little hard to keep up....anyway, it was interesting, but i don't think this is what happened to Elizabeth Short.....it wasn't as good as i thought it might be...on a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give it a 6..

i ordered the book Severed & it should be here on or around the 19th...

FWIW, James Ellroy is now distancing himself from Steve Hodel's theory. He said Hodel convinced him (thus his preface to Hodel's book) but that Hodel has gone off the rails in recent years. Ellroy particularly cited Hodel's theory that a minion of his father killed Ellroy's mother, a theory which Ellroy calls bull****.

close_enough said:
saw the movie, & now i'm confused....a lot of things happen in the movie, so i found it a little hard to keep up....anyway, it was interesting, but i don't think this is what happened to Elizabeth Short.....it wasn't as good as i thought it might be...on a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give it a 6..

i ordered the book Severed & it should be here on or around the 19th...
I want to read that, let me know how it is. I may order it.

I know this sounds irrelevant, but was that really a tatoo she had? I heard it was a birthmark.

Before I went to see the movie, I saw an article on it that says it is LOOSELY based on the actual case. I agree, after seeing the movie. I would give the movie a 2 out of 10 because it only focused on the actual murder peripherally.

mssheila said:
Before I went to see the movie, I saw an article on it that says it is LOOSELY based on the actual case. I agree, after seeing the movie. I would give the movie a 2 out of 10 because it only focused on the actual murder peripherally.
Oh, I was hoping it would be a 10!!

K. Taylor said:
FWIW, James Ellroy is now distancing himself from Steve Hodel's theory. He said Hodel convinced him (thus his preface to Hodel's book) but that Hodel has gone off the rails in recent years. Ellroy particularly cited Hodel's theory that a minion of his father killed Ellroy's mother, a theory which Ellroy calls bull****.
Was Hodel's suspect the surgeon suspect thay spoke of in L.A. confidential ?? It's been a while since I seen it, so I forget all the names and characters, I just remember thinking they had a good suspect. I'll have to watch it again.

Well since the reviews aren't that great, I'll wait till it gets to the cheap theater and I'm bored.... or I'll just rent it when it gets to DVD.

Jodibug said:
Well since the reviews aren't that great, I'll wait till it gets to the cheap theater and I'm bored.... or I'll just rent it when it gets to DVD.
Yea thats what I will do too.

a lot of people think a man she was well aquainted with named ed burns killed her, this man later committed suicide and left a note saying he did it. Ed Burns was a known friend of Eliabeth short. His handwriting was very similar to the notes ent to the police, and he is known to have spent a lot of time with her.

The other very interesting thing about this case is that Elizabeth short was obsessed with true crime and particularly obsessed about a woman named degnan who was dismembered in chicago. She was known to discuss this case regularly with friends at bars. She met almost the same fate. Many believe the initials EB are clearly seen carved in her forehead like a brand.

Check out all of the theories. I see the eb clearly and if you compare it to the EB in some of the notes sent to the LAPD it is uncanny.This Ed Burns was interviewed many times by LAPD, but let go. The theory is that Short rejected his sexual advances and told him she was only his friend, and not interested in him that way. She had discussed her obsession of the Degnan case regularly with Burns, and many think his actions were to mimic this crime. She was clearly killed by someone who hated her and wanted her to appear degraded.

Yep ^ I read up on that theory, it certainly is probable and could very well be the answer, but because of the wording of the story on the site, it can be difficult to understand at times, and find myself skimming over bits. But i like the way they showed in the suicide note an anagram(?) of his name.

the book Severed came in the mail today....haven't had time to start reading, but i DID look at the autopsy pics...extremely graphic...her lower belly/pelvic area was in a strange kind of 'tilted' position :confused: ...i guess that will be discussed in the book, but it sure looks strange.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back