GUILTY CA - Elizabeth Sullivan, 31, San Diego, 13 Oct 2014 *Arrest*

Great find! I like to copy part of the article because in the future the links don't work.

Did a San Diego man murder his wife, whose body was found in the bay? A jury will decide

"Matthew Sullivan, the prosecutor said, was afraid his wife would leave with their children and their money, then have him evicted from their housing."

"His back was against the wall, he had to do something to stop her,” Lindberg told jurors. She said Sullivan stabbed his wife repeatedly, left her to die on her bedroom floor, then hid her body. His mother, her girlfriend and his sister were arriving the next afternoon, on Oct. 14, 2014, to help him care for his children."

Please watch the news video.
What do you think?

Closing arguments delivered in trial of San Diego Navy man accused of stabbing wife, hiding body

:mad: It bothers me to have Matthew and his Defense Attorney be bad-mouthing Elizabeth when Matthew is the one who did much, much worse.

Like I said before, JMO though, Defense is trying to say Elizabeth was a cutter and hid the knife in the attic herself. o_O Seriously? Are we to believe she stabbed herself and hid her own body for two years? It's a preposterous defense, IMO.

More men than women jurors. MOO, as far as I can tell, the Defense has tried to use the emotionally unstable woman, self destructive cutter, wildly running around on her husband and not watching her children. Defense suggests she brought this on herself. It's a Defense Ploy, IMO. I hope all those Jurors can see through it. Elizabeth deserves Justice.

@Curious Me - unfortunately I can't see the video that you posted. No access over here in Europe. But from I'm reading on your excerpts - defense is going on a wrong track. Hopefully the 7 men & 5 women on jury will see it much differently!!

@Curious Me - unfortunately I can't see the video that you posted. No access over here in Europe. But from I'm reading on your excerpts - defense is going on a wrong track. Hopefully the 7 men & 5 women on jury will see it much differently!!

Thanks for your reply as it eases my mind some. You know how it is, sometimes a jury gets it wrong. His attorney has tried to create reasonable doubt at every turn.

From the news article you found--
"Without suggesting who might have killed her, DuBose knocked the prosecution case as “a box with holes all over the place.”'

Did a San Diego man murder his wife, whose body was found in the bay? A jury will decide

"Jurors began deliberating late Wednesday afternoon."

Expecting a Verdict sooner rather than later. There was a Press Conference today with the San Diego mayor and city officials about COVID-19 closures and warnings amidst this Global Epidemic. Yikes, Disneyland closed! Jurors probably don't want to be cooped up together in some little room for long. I hope they find it easy to come to a conclusion. Waiting for the Verdict...

Just in case they are still deliberating today - since I haven't found anything recent.

Friday, March 13th:
*Trial continues (Day 14)-Verdict Watch! (@ 9am PT) – CA – Elizabeth Sullivan (31) (reported missing Oct. 14, 2014, San Diego; found Oct. 4, 2016 in San Diego Bay) – *Matthew Scott Sullivan (29 @ time of crime/33/now 35) “husband” arrested (1/31/18 in Wyoming, Delaware, extradited 2/9/18), charged & arraigned (3/4/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond.
Trial began on 2/18/20 with jury selection, trial started on 2/21/20 and ended on 3/11/20. Trial expected to last to 3/20/20. Jury: 7 men/5 women & 4 alternates.
Jury Selection from 2/10/20 thru 2/20/20 & Trial (Day 1-10) 2/21/20 to 3/6/20 reference post #371 here:
Found Deceased - CA - Elizabeth Sullivan, 31, San Diego, 13 Oct 2014 *Arrest*

3/11/20 Wednesday Day 12: Closing Arguments. Judge gave jury instructions. Jury started deliberations late afternoon. Jury continues deliberations on 3/12.
3/12/20 Thursday Day 13: Jury still deliberating. Continues on 3/13 – Maybe!

No verdict yet??
Any locals? @Curious Me ?? TIA! :)

:) GUILTY

San Diego man convicted of second-degree murder for stabbing wife, hiding her body

"Matthew Scott Sullivan, 35, was found guilty for the death of his 31- year-old wife, Elizabeth,..."

and

"Following a three-week trial and just over a day of deliberations, the jury panel acquitted Sullivan of a first-degree murder charge, but convicted him of second-degree murder, plus an allegation of using a knife in the killing."

"Sentencing was scheduled for April 13."

From News10, another news article with more details. She was found wearing the same clothes as in the missing person report. Stabbed at least five times. Her little girls left motherless. Matthew then hid the body. Now, he's finally been found guilty. Thank You Jurors.

JUSTICE FINALLY. REST IN PEACE ELIZABETH.
SD man convicted of second-degree murder for stabbing wife, hiding her body

"Matthew Scott Sullivan, 35, was found guilty..."

Deputy District Attorney Jill Lindberg alleged at trial that after stabbing his wife at least five times in her bedroom, Sullivan hid the body and murder weapon inside his home until he was compelled to discard Elizabeth's remains when movers arrived Oct. 4, 2016, at the onset of his cross-country move to the East Coast.

Her decomposed body was discovered that same day in the water about a half-mile from their residence, dressed in the same clothes she was last reported wearing.

All news article quotes BBM

I think the reason jurors acquitted him of a first-degree murder charge was because they didn't think it was premeditated. I have to agree it didn't seem planned to use a knife and have such a bloody scene with guests coming the next day.

He's looking at a sentence of
16 yrs. to life. As I said before, divorce would have been so much easier.

Great article. I'm interested to see what sentence they give him. I hope those 2 little girls grow up to be amazing and not let this define them. I hope the their mother is watching over them. I am a stay at home mom and it just makes me hug my kids extra hard. My heart breaks for them

This is still on the court site as happening today - I will check it much later (California time).

Monday, April 13th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 1:30m PT) – CA – Elizabeth Sullivan (31) (reported missing Oct. 14, 2014, San Diego; found Oct. 6, 2016 in San Diego Bay) – *Matthew Scott Sullivan (29 @ time of crime/33/now 35) “husband” arrested (1/31/18 in Wyoming, Delaware, extradited 2/9/18), charged & arraigned (3/4/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond. Judge changes (3/13/20) to no bond.
Trial began on 2/18/20 with jury selection, trial started on 2/21/20 and ended on 3/11/20. Jury: 7 men/5 women & 4 alternates. Jurors’ took about 8 ½ hours (3 days) to reach a verdict of guilty of 2nd degree murder, plus allegations of using a knife in the killing.
Jury Selection from 2/10/20 thru 2/20/20 & Trial (Day 1-13) 2/21/20 to 3/12/20 reference post #387 here:
Found Deceased - CA - Elizabeth Sullivan, 31, San Diego, 13 Oct 2014 *Arrest*

3/13/20 Friday Day 14: Just over a day of deliberations, the jury panel acquitted Sullivan of a first-degree murder charge, but convicted him of second-degree murder, plus an allegation of using a knife in the killing. Sentencing is scheduled for April 13.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Hazey
Back